'GAA Athletes for a No Vote'

Started by Jinxy, April 21, 2018, 08:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Also, 'Gaelic Athletes for a No Vote' are a group within a group.
They are part of the 'Savethe8th' campaign, which John McGuirk is the communications director for.
https://twitter.com/john_mcguirk/status/987697838669942785
They could simply campaign under the 'Savethe8th' banner, just as Eamon McGee campaigns under the 'Donegal Together For Yes' banner, and nobody would have an issue with that.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

RedHand88

Quote from: longballin on May 03, 2018, 12:07:20 PM
It is an insult to the GAA what they did. And of course they are entitled to their opinion but trying to hijack the GAA to peddle their agenda was cynical.

Would you have a problem if it was "GAA athletes for a Yes vote"?

RedHand88

Quote from: sid waddell on May 02, 2018, 11:03:39 AM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on May 02, 2018, 10:31:24 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on May 02, 2018, 09:52:05 AM
Quote from: Therealdonald on May 01, 2018, 08:52:48 PM
I'd imagine most men are off the same opinion as myself...it's a woman's body, let the women vote and decide what to do. What i don't understand is why players from the occupied six are putting in their tuppence when we can't vote in it.

But it's not just the woman's body. It's also some man's unborn child - some men mightn't know about it, some mightn't care, some might want it aborted, and some might be very happy at the prospect of having the child.
It's not just a woman's body issue as if it was a boob job ffs.
+1
Ultimately, yes, it is a woman's body issue.

What you're saying is that if a woman does not want a foetus in her womb, she should have no say over the matter and be forced to carry the pregnancy to term.

No, it isn't. The woman's appendix is her body, her ear is her body, the baby is the baby's body.

Crete Boom

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 07, 2018, 09:34:52 AM
Quote from: longballin on May 03, 2018, 12:07:20 PM
It is an insult to the GAA what they did. And of course they are entitled to their opinion but trying to hijack the GAA to peddle their agenda was cynical.

Would you have a problem if it was "GAA athletes for a Yes vote"?

I certainly would,  the GAA is about football and hurling and everyone involved with them, leave religion and politics at the door please!!!

Rossfan

Exactly.
Plenty of Yes and No groupings about for anyone wishing to campaign in either direction
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

sid waddell

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 07, 2018, 09:36:51 AM
I'd imagine most men are off the same opinion as myself...it's a woman's body, let the women vote and decide what to do. What i don't understand is why players from the occupied six are putting in their tuppence when we can't vote in it.

But it's not just the woman's body. It's also some man's unborn child - some men mightn't know about it, some mightn't care, some might want it aborted, and some might be very happy at the prospect of having the child.
+1

What you're saying is that if a woman does not want a foetus in her womb, she should have no say over the matter and be forced to carry the pregnancy to term.

No, it isn't. The woman's appendix is her body, her ear is her body, the baby is the baby's body.
A 12 week old foetus is not a baby.

A baby is a baby.

Does the Roman Catholic Church offer funerals for zygotes? Do zygotes which are aborted by a pill go to heaven?

Or do they go to "limbo", as the Roman Catholic Church used to tell us?

Or is it only zygotes and foetuses aborted after April 20th, 2007, when the Roman Catholic Church abandoned the concept of "limbo", which go to heaven rather than limbo?

Do you celebrate your birthday or your conception day?

If you celebrate the former, shouldn't you really be celebrating the latter if you're being consistent?

omaghjoe

Quote from: sid waddell on May 07, 2018, 02:39:55 PM

+1

A baby is a baby.

Does the Roman Catholic Church offer funerals for zygotes? Do zygotes which are aborted by a pill go to heaven?

Or is it only zygotes and foetuses aborted after April 20th, 2007, when the Roman Catholic Church abandoned the concept of "limbo", which go to heaven rather than limbo?

If you celebrate the former, shouldn't you really be celebrating the latter if you're being consistent?

A 12 week old foetus, same as a 1 hour old embryo is.... a human being.

It will become a baby, enfant, toddler, child, adolescent, adult.

Not sure what theology has to do with this, looks like some sort of feebly attempt at a strawman.

whitey

+1

A baby is a baby.

If your partner/spouse was 12 weeks pregnant and was killed by a drink driver would you have the same opinion?

omaghjoe

Also that is an interesting point about the birthdays Sid

Now obviously birthdays are cultural so basically we celebrate them because we always have, and the conception day isn't known anyway so it would sort of impossible.
Anyway my point about it is that children born premature will medically have their age adjusted  to calculate baby development.

So in the medical world they are already doing this as the age of conception gives true age.

BennyCake

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 07, 2018, 03:52:59 PM

+1

A baby is a baby.

Not sure what theology has to do with this, looks like some sort of feebly attempt at a strawman.

Yes I agree.

This "a 12 week embryo isn't a baby" thing is the line the eugenisists spin to the population to justify abortion. And people end up believing it themselves, and it suits them because it removes the guilt. They can nip out for an abortion on their lunch hour, and don't think twice about it. "Ah sure it's not even a baby."

sid waddell

+1

A baby is a baby.

"A 1 hour old embryo is a human being."

This just gets better.  ;D

I mention theology because it clearly has everything to do with your worldview, mate.

But even the Roman Catholic Church has a serious case of cognitive dissonance on this, given that it does not offer baptism for embryos or foetuses.

So the reality is that not even the Roman Catholic Church considers foetuses to be human beings.

A human being is somebody who has been born.

As an aside, here's an interesting little thought experiment.

When do you think children's allowance payments should start?

From birth or conception?

And why do you think women should be denied essential healthcare under the 8th Amendment, even if they are not pregnant?

Because I can tell you right now, that actually happens in this country.

sid waddell

Quote from: BennyCake on May 07, 2018, 04:24:26 PM
They can nip out for an abortion on their lunch hour, and don't think twice about it. "Ah sure it's not even a baby."
You have a truly abhorrent, neanderthal view of women.

omaghjoe

Quote from: sid waddell on May 07, 2018, 07:00:50 PM

+1

A baby is a baby.

"A 1 hour old embryo is a human being."

This just gets better.  ;D

I mention theology because it clearly has everything to do with your worldview, mate.

But even the Roman Catholic Church has a serious case of cognitive dissonance on this, given that it does not offer baptism for embryos or foetuses.

So the reality is that not even the Roman Catholic Church considers foetuses to be human beings.

A human being is somebody who has been born.

As an aside, here's an interesting little thought experiment.

When do you think children's allowance payments should start?

From birth or conception?

And why do you think women should be denied essential healthcare under the 8th Amendment, even if they are not pregnant?

Because I can tell you right now, that actually happens in this country.

You werent even replying to me but its nice to know that you were thinking of me specifically.
Anyway I have clearly set out my viewpoint without ever mentioning religion so your wrong. and to bring that into it is irrelevant a strawman.

A human being's lifecycle starts at conception, anything after that is just different stages in the lifecycle.... its fairly basic biology

Chidren's allowance should be started when they start doing chores :P
Nah seriously pregant mothers should be given additional support to support the baby and the birth...time off work, additional food payments, birthing/pregnancy education/support etc, especially from mid 2 trimester onwards. Its fundamentally different support required for raising a child but yes it should be there from the state.

I don't think any person should be denied basic healthcare and I would be in favour of ammending the wording of the 8th.... if right of life was still afforded to the unborn, that is difficult I agree but no one seems to be even having that conversation and with the current proposal then my opinion is that right of a unique human life supersedes the mother's right to choose

BennyCake

Quote from: sid waddell on May 07, 2018, 07:03:25 PM
They can nip out for an abortion on their lunch hour, and don't think twice about it. "Ah sure it's not even a baby."

185,000 abortions per year in England and Wales. You can't tell me they were all abnormal foetus/rape etc. No, abortion has become a method of contraception. It's becomes normalised, any level of thought, guilt or morality removed. And the lunch hour quote while exaggerated, wouldn't be too far off the mark. Making abortion legal doesn't make it acceptable.

sid waddell

Quote from: BennyCake on May 07, 2018, 07:53:49 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 07, 2018, 07:03:25 PM

185,000 abortions per year in England and Wales. You can't tell me they were all abnormal foetus/rape etc. No, abortion has become a method of contraception. It's becomes normalised, any level of thought, guilt or morality removed. And the lunch hour quote while exaggerated, wouldn't be too far off the mark. Making abortion legal doesn't make it acceptable.

Abortion is normal. That is a fact. It's happening in Ireland and will continue to happen whether you like or not. Women can order pills online and they work up to 12 weeks.

The point is that is unregulated and because it is against the law, women can suffer serious adverse health effects and even death from such because they tend not to seek medical treatment if there adverse effects. This would not be the case were it to be regulated, as it should be. If it is legal, it would be safe.

What is your plan for women who order abortion pills online? Throw them in jail?

Our constitution already allows abortion in Ireland under the Protection Of Life During Pregnancy Act. That was an act the No campaign railed against.

Our constitution specifically states that Irish women have a right to an abortion. It's contained in the 13th Amendment and was passed in a referendum in 1992. The Irish people voted to specifically give Irish women the right to an abortion - outside the state, of course.  ;D

Why are the anti-women's rights mob not campaigning to get the 13th Amendment abolished too? Because they know they'd be laughed out it, that's why.

You and the other shrieking woman haters on this forum have no right to tell a woman what is a crisis pregnancy and what is not.

Why should neanderthals like you have the right to deny women essential healthcare?

Failure to repeal the 8th Amendment would be a shameful act of cowardice on the part of this state.