Is Setanta Sports ruining Soccer?

Started by Gold, September 10, 2008, 10:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gold

I hate the way Setanta have bought off all the competition and have all the International games bar Ireland. I only have Setanta Ireland and hate that i cant choose what to watch. Would've liked to watch the England game or even Norn Iron after watchin Ireland. I had to make do with the 2nd half of the Scotland/Iceland game on Setanta Ireland as its the only channel i have.

For me its ruining peoples enjoyment of watching soccer at home and forcing people to the pub--the same was as TV3 did with the GAA championship matches this season.

Setanta's sports programmes are badly presented with stupid pundits with English accents talking about how well "we" played tonight. RTE took the hand out of their money grabbing ways with a magic Apres Match tonight.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Gnevin

Soccer is all about money , i'm sure you have Sky Sports.  So you'll just need to skip the few pints this week and buy Setanta
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Bogball XV

pintsofguinness

QuoteWould've liked to watch the England game or even Norn Iron after watchin Ireland.
You would have turned over the England game at half time - pure dung.
I'd say Setanta done soccer a favour tonight.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Mentalman

You won't have to worry about Setanta for too long, it's only a matter of time before they are bought off. That's basically the aim ofthe station owners - spend a fortune on exclusive right, spend as little as possible on production, get as many subscribers as possible, get bought out. There were rumours a couple of months ago about one of the major American entertainment companies buying Setanta as they wanted to add soccer to their stable - watch this space!
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

ziggysego

I heard ESPN were looking to buy out Setanta.
Testing Accessibility

stephenite

Quote from: Mentalman on September 10, 2008, 10:46:18 PM
You won't have to worry about Setanta for too long, it's only a matter of time before they are bought off. That's basically the aim ofthe station owners - spend a fortune on exclusive right, spend as little as possible on production, get as many subscribers as possible, get bought out. There were rumours a couple of months ago about one of the major American entertainment companies buying Setanta as they wanted to add soccer to their stable - watch this space!

Yeah - very concerned that when they do get bought out the GAA coverage on Setanta Oz will fall by the wayside

Hardy

Quote from: Gold on September 10, 2008, 10:26:22 PM
For me its ... forcing people to the pub

Surely this is a good thing. I'm not concerned about the ruination of soccer (it didn't take Setanta to do that), but I am bothered about the almost total destruction of our pub culture and anything hat brings people (even soccer fans) into pubs is to be welcomed.

Mentalman

"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Over the Bar

Do RTE still broadcast the Ireland games in Ireland?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Simple answer - NO.
Would be disappointed if the yanks took over Setanta as it may well signal the dropping of GAA coverage and the SPL!
Fcuk off America, youse have your own sports, keep your beaks out of our sports!  ;)

Quote from: Over the Bar on September 11, 2008, 09:00:04 AM
Do RTE still broadcast the Ireland games in Ireland?

Yes.
Tbc....

AZOffaly

I think ESPN have already bought Setanta. They've certainly bought NASN, which is part of the Setanta Sport's pack..

Donagh

Don't have subscription tv in our house, hence Senata have brought a sense of serene tranquility to Donagh's viewing lounge - no more cursing to he heard when he accidentally stumbles across the boy from the crips ad or that team in green which holds the world record for not scoring a goal.

corn02

Answer me this. There does be a pundit on Setanta the odd time, chubby fella, is he a bookie? Are the yusing a bookie for a pundit - pretty sure I have seen him on ages ago regarding odds.

full back

Quote from: Donagh on September 11, 2008, 09:22:44 AM
no more cursing to he heard when he accidentally stumbles across the boy from the crips ad

Do you have to pay for BBC?