I predict a disaster Championship for Derry

Started by Gold, May 27, 2008, 02:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gold

I predict that Derry will be beaten by Donegal on Sunday and to bow out in the first couple of rounds in the Qualifiers

I dont think the favourites tag will sit well with them and think they will collapse a la Monaghan on Sunday past and Donegal last year after their league win

Its very difficult for a team to have  a good league campaign and carry it through to the championship--unless you are Tyrone (with a massive squad a la 2003-5) or Kerry who now have to beat Clare to get back to a provincial final and be in the last 12

Derry are still too reliant on one man a la Monaghan and Tommy Freeman

Hope its not the case, but feel it will be a collapse for Derry and will lump any spare euro i have on Donegal this sunday
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

billy the kid

I am a Derry man through and through and to be honest i wouldnt bet on Sundays game if you paid me ;)

It will be a very tough one to call and anything that happened in the League will have no bearing on the outcome of this game.  It is the worst Possible draw for Derry for a number of reasons:

1- Donegal are out to atone for last years championship showing as they showed in the league tussle between the 2 which decided who made the final, and Donegal rested half their team and played the game in Letterkenny so as Derry wouldnt get a chance to play in Ballybofey before this Sunday.

2- The game is in Ballybofey where Donegal rarely lose and after last years win their against Armagh when they were second best but won with a late goal they have recent good memories of the place.

3- Brian McIvor, not only is he one of the best managers in the business but he also knows the Derry team inside out, and probably better than Crozier.  McIvor used to take Ballinderry and was over them when they won the All Ireland Club. 8 ballinderry men, including his son are on the panel and probably 6 of them will start.

4- There is also the fact Donegal people hate Derry the way we hate Tyrone and this will give them the added bite they lacked last year

5- And lastly and most importantly Donegal are a really good team who can beat anybody in the country on their day.  They have been on the edge of championship success since 2001 or so but have been unlucky and underperformed on numerous occaisons in semi finals and finals (usually against Armagh who just bullied them out of it)

But all in all Im still gonna go with Derry as its championship time and the reasons I listed above wont come into my thinking once the Last few bars of the national anthem are drowned out with the euphoric and tribal cries of expectation that every true supporter howls at the beginning of every match believing this to be their year. 

Doire Abu
Im going to tip (but not bet on) Derry ..........just!
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

screenexile

Why would you blatantly copy Seany's idea... to be fair to him he called it fairly spot on in JANUARY. Fermanagh beating Monaghan is certainly a far bigger prediction than saying Donegal will beat us.

Thoroughly unoriginal post and probably not true as Derry are far better placed not to be caught on the hop given their recent defeat to Offaly and the Fermanagh result. There will be no underestimating Donegal and I think if we guard against that we are a better team and will win. It will be close though!

heineken_on_tap

I dont like these type of posts - could set up 31 of them. And one 'I predict a great year for Kerry' thread.

billy the kid

Quote from: heineken_on_tap on May 27, 2008, 03:41:04 PM
I dont like these type of posts - could set up 31 of them. And one 'I predict a great year for Kerry' thread.

:D :D :D

Hard to argue with that at this point in the championship but i dont think Kerry will win Sam I wont guess who will, and it would only be a guess, but just think someone will catch them on the hop or they will let it slip somewhere.
If it moves hit it

Gold

True, this topic was wholely unoriginal and for that i apoligise

But, i thought it needed to be said that i think Derry will fall flat on their face this Sunday and in the championship--feel free to throw it back in my face if im wrong--but i can now see them playin with a serious fear of failure--its easy playin hard against Kerry when you have nothing to lose in the league final and everything to gain

but when you are favourites a lap Monaghan on sunday and Derry in last years Ulster Semi its a different kettle of fish

Drumanee 1

Quote from: Gold on May 27, 2008, 02:51:27 PM
I predict that Derry will be beaten by Donegal on Sunday and to bow out in the first couple of rounds in the Qualifiers

I dont think the favourites tag will sit well with them and think they will collapse a la Monaghan on Sunday past and Donegal last year after their league win

Its very difficult for a team to have  a good league campaign and carry it through to the championship--unless you are Tyrone (with a massive squad a la 2003-5) or Kerry who now have to beat Clare to get back to a provincial final and be in the last 12

Hope its not the case, but feel it will be a collapse for Derry and will lump any spare euro i have on Donegal this sunday
Quote from: Gold on May 27, 2008, 03:53:19 PM

But, i thought it needed to be said that i think Derry will fall flat on their face this Sunday and in the championship--feel free to throw it back in my face if im wrong--but i can now see them playin with a serious fear of failure--its easy playin hard against Kerry when you have nothing to lose in the league final and everything to gain

but when you are favourites a lap Monaghan on sunday and Derry in last years Ulster Semi its a different kettle of fish

who the fcuk are a la monaghan ::)

billy the kid

Who knows, but maybe they would give fermanagh a better game. ;) :D
If it moves hit it

Gold

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on May 27, 2008, 04:00:33 PM
Quote from: Gold on May 27, 2008, 02:51:27 PM

Quote from: Gold on May 27, 2008, 03:53:19 PM

who the fcuk are a la monaghan ::)

i heard Sidebottom saying it and thought it sounded great

Aaron Boone

If Derry do win this one, then they can start thinking big. Even Kerry would find it tough going to Ballybofey this Sunday.

ONeill

Quote from: Aaron Boone on May 27, 2008, 08:27:52 PM
Even Kerry would find it tough going to Ballybofey this Sunday.

I agree. Especially if they go through Galway. I'd say they'd fly.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Rav67

Derry will win, and they will win by at least 3 points.

Tyrones own

Two fairly even teams although Derry might have a bit more up front,
McFadden would want his one good game a year to happen this Sunday to give Donegal
a chance IMO... but then again they are at home, think I'll go with a draw in this one!
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

cornafean

As Bill Cullen might say, Derry will win because they've more lee-roady than Donegal.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.