You Tube Kids!

Started by Long time dead, May 29, 2007, 02:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Long time dead

Anyone else see this over the weekend; this phone slapping or whatever it is culture really is start to take hold.

Boys (10) fighting in park on internet film
Monday, May 28, 2007

By Claire McNeilly

A video of two young boys taking part in a brutal brawl in a Belfast park - posted on the internet under "entertainment" - has been condemned by the Children's Commissioner and angry councillors.

The video, which appeared on the youtube.com website recently, has already been viewed almost 500 times despite the fact that would-be viewers must confirm that they are 18 or over before accessing the site.

The footage, filmed on a mobile phone camera, shows two 10-year-old boys fighting in the Falls Park, while a group of youths - boys and girls - look on.

The fight lasts for 45 seconds in total, during which older children appear to encourage the youngsters to hit each other.

Some of the spectators can be seen filming the fight on their mobile phones and the video has provoked a number of responses since it appeared on YouTube two weeks ago.

Children's Commissioner Patricia Lewsley said that she was concerned about the images of children fighting on the internet, which she added was becoming increasingly common.

"As Commissioner for Children and Young People, I am concerned at how many of these types of incidents are appearing on YouTube and similar sites," she said.

"While we don't comment on individual cases, I believe it is time for the owners of sites such as this to act more responsibly.

"If they do not it is time for agencies and government to examine how to combat these worrying incidents."

Sinn Fein Lower Falls councillor, Tom Hartley, also condemned the video and said that parents have a responsibility to keep an eye on what their children get up to.

"This type of use of technology has to be condemned," he said.

"I think it raises a number of questions from the use of mobile phones and how the providers of these services need to be mindful of what images are being carried.

"I also think parents have got to be vigilant about the use of mobile phones, particularly by young people.

"Mobile phones are a positive aspect in some cases for parents keeping track of their children, but this type of behaviour has to be condemned."

Seven months ago a pupil attack video filmed at a school in Antrim was posted on the Bebo website after it was recorded on a mobile phone in November 2006.

Meanwhile, four women in Devon, England, were bailed recently when they admitted child cruelty charges after goading toddlers to fight.

Footage lasting seven minutes was filmed at a house by one woman and was shown in the case at Plymouth Magistrate's Court.

In the clip, a boy wearing a nappy was called a "wimp" for not hitting a girl back after she struck him in the face.