Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

speculative

Quote from: Mike Tyson on November 10, 2014, 09:13:04 PM
Quote from: speculative on November 10, 2014, 12:08:22 PM
How can you say there's been an over reliance on Colleges players? In 2010 when St Colmans won the MacRory I think there were only 3 players on the Down minor team 2009. Same in 2011. If you're gonna come out with statements like that you may need to back them up. My experience was that Colleges players from Abbey and Violet Hill were actually passed up for fellas that had been there from the start. For example, in 2008 not one player who played MacRory Cup started in the game v Tyrone.

Michael Higgins & Ben O'Reilly both played MacRory for St Louis did they not?

Pretty sure Michael Higgins was at St Malachys and if O'Reilly was at St Louis they didn't play MacRory in 2008/09. Robbie White played for the Abbey but they didn't qualify from the Group Stages (McCormick Cup)

our_fella

Quote from: speculative on November 11, 2014, 03:27:38 PM
How can you say there's been an over reliance on Colleges players? In 2010 when St Colmans won the MacRory I think there were only 3 players on the Down minor team 2009. Same in 2011. If you're gonna come out with statements like that you may need to back them up. My experience was that Colleges players from Abbey and Violet Hill were actually passed up for fellas that had been there from the start. For example, in 2008 not one player who played MacRory Cup started in the game v Tyrone.

Higgins was st columbans kilkeel
Pretty sure Michael Higgins was at St Malachys and if O'Reilly was at St Louis they didn't play MacRory in 2008/09. Robbie White played for the Abbey but they didn't qualify from the Group Stages (McCormick Cup)

outback

Burren still firing on cylinders at U16,18 and U21 levels.  CPN favourites though for the Down title

PAULD123

The games:

Warrenpoint (Down) v Cloughaneely (Donegal) 2:15pm
Keady (Armagh) v Urris (Donegal)

have been moved from Dungannon to Clones (I guess due to bad weather affecting the Dungannon pitch)

upandwin

How does everyone think CPN and Drumaness will go this weekend? Will both games be as one-sided as everyone is suggesting? ROCK and Warrenpoint both big favourites in my eyes...would love to see Drumaness scrape through! Thoughts?

washed_up

i too would love to see both Down clubs win again this weekend--GOOK LUCK TO BOTH DOWN CLUBS!!

Mike Tyson

Quote from: speculative on November 11, 2014, 03:27:38 PM

Was near 100% sure both played in a quarter final against St Pat's Armagh for St Louis. Could be wrong though.

SHEEDY

STATEMENT FROM DOWN CO BOARD ON BEHALF OF BENNY COULTER
It is with a heavy heart that I have made the decision to retire from Inter County Football. I have enjoyed immensely my time as an Inter County Football but after 15 Seasons I have decided that the time has come to allow a younger breed of Down Footballer the chance to make their mark.
I would like to thank a number of people from the bottom of my heart for the support that they have given me over the years.
My Club Mayobridge first gave me my love of Gaelic Football and to all the mentors who spent time over the years moulding me into the player and person I became I am most grateful. I will continue to give of my best in the Sky Blue of Mayobridge for as long as Team Mentors feel I can make a positive contribution.
My Minor Manager Gerry Dougherty brought me to All Ireland Minor Glory and allowed me to sample what it was like to win an All Ireland Minor Medal.
Peter McGrath gave me my first taste of Senior Inter County Football and I will always thank Pete for that opportunity.
Paddy O Rourke was a great help to me in football terms and on a personal level and I have many fond memories of my time working with Paddy and his Management Team.
Ross Carr and DJ Kane were my next Managers and we too had many good days especially the victory over Tyrone in Newry in 2008.
In 2010 I was privileged and honoured to lead my County in the All Ireland Final and I will always regret that we failed to deliver on the day, I am indebted to James McCartan for the support he gave me in the five years that he was Team Manager. I had played with James and it was an absolute honour to have worked with him as Manager.
I would like to place on record my thanks to the Down County Board for supporting me throughout my playing career I was looked after at all times in the best possible manner.
To the Medical Teams over the years I thank you all for the care and attention given to me.
I thank the Down Supporters who always were there for me and lifted my spirits many times at crucial stages in games or when I was preparing to enter the fray.
To My family and in particular my mother and father who supported me all through my County career I offer a heartfelt thanks you certainly helped make it easy for me to be an Inter County Footballer.
I wish the present Down panel and Manager Jim McCorry every success in the season ahead, those boys are like my brothers and I will be supporting them fully throughout the year ahead

nil satis nisi optimum

outback

Thanks for the memories,Benny

5 Sams

Seán Ward is the new Burren manager.
The Aristocrat Years

FermGael

DIVISION THREE side Aughlisnafin have pulled off a major coup by appointing Conor Deegan as their manager while Sean Ward is set to take over at Burren.

Deegan has spent the last number of seasons in Dublin with Ballyboden and Kilmacud Croke's, but with return to his native county to take on the third tier outfit.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Shamrocks Gaelp

Surely that cannot be true ? Top team in 1st division Dublin to one of the worse off teams in Down's division 3 or soon to be 4? Man must be homesick

redandblackareback

The Deegan appointment is some coup for the Finn, good on them, some drop though for Deegan considering he was interviewed for the Down job a few months ago, just on the county front, hasnt been the greatest of starts for Jim, letting your most experienced player go was a huge mistake, Coulter should never have been allowed to go and add in the 5 selectors he met who have turned him down he would have hoped for a better start. Early days I know but not ideal.

Hard2Listen2

Who were the 5 selectors that turned him down?

Brick Tamlin

Yes Benny should never have been allowed to retire.
They should have maybe kidnapped a member of his family or threatened him with some other dastardly deed.
Wise yourself up.