Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Red

Spectators allowed back on 24th May up to 500.. Plenty of football being played this summer to.. Be great getting back to watching some ball

Lotto

Taken from Hoganstand

Tally says training breach was an error of judgement but he knows other counties were at it
May 13, 2021

Down manager Paddy Tally says he wishes he had never taken the coaching session in Abbey CBS last January that was deemed in breach of the GAA's Covid-19 rules.

Tally received an eight week suspension from the GAA for organisining the session and talking to Brian Carthy on his latest Podcast, the Mourne manager says it was an 'error of judgement'.

"It was an error of judgement on my behalf and I do regret taking the players out for that session," explained Tally who said it was definitely unusual to see the PSNI arrive half way through. "It was strange, they don't normally come to watch training sessions."

Explaining the circumstances, Tally says they were working with a small group of new players to the panel.

"I had a number of new players out. I'd taken a few players out to show them the running programme, what they had to do for the next six weeks before we would start training, just to get ready. That's all it really amounted to.

"As the law was in the North, we weren't breaking any Covid regulations. In the North we were seen as elite and the law says you could train in groups of less than 15. But we did break the GAA rule. Looking back at it now, I wish we just hadn't done it."

Tally also explained that he knew other counties were training and the get together was an attempt not to get left behind.

"That was our first get together and to be honest with you, we knew that a lot of other counties were back out doing stuff. And I had been contacted by a number of other managers telling me that they had been doing bits and could we take a challenge match. So I thought most other counties that I know are doing it so maybe we should start getting something done. It was a little bit of panic on my behalf and an error of judgement."

As proud Down man I would plead to anyone with influence to ask these 'blow ins' to do the right thing and stop spouting their lies over Abbeygate. Our county chairman was caught out several times with his lies and now Tally, who previously trying to cover up to some degree, now says that there were only a few new lads there. Seriously, the new season is upon us and you are trying to get the county behind you but you come out with a ball of lies to try to justify training over lockdown. Everybody else being at it as well, apparently, and these men contacted him looking for a game. Catch a grip. Tailtean Cup next year so you'll be gone anyway Paddy.

Mourne Rover

It's called the Tailteann Cup and the director general, Tom Ryan, has been unable to say when it may ever be launched. However, Lotto, as a self proclaimed proud Down man, is still plainly hoping that we lose every game this season and get relegated anyway. Paddy Tally has admitted to an error of judgment during the covid restrictions and he was certainly not the only manager in the same position. He has a huge game on Saturday and every true Down supporter will be wishing him well.

bannside

Antrim played by the rules last year and the opposition put seven goals past us, training regularly during lockdown when we abided by the rules! Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Cost us promotion.

Coming on to a public discussion board to hang your own county out to dry is a completely different kind of low. at least that's the way I see it!  The kind of supporter who wants to see his own county team beaten in every match. These individuals should be avoided at all costs.

Good luck to Paddy Tally and Down for the coming year.

Smurfy123

Down team to start tomorrow
Burns
Collins
McGovern
Mcelroy
Laverty
Flynn
D Guiness
McEvoy
Poland
J guiness
Dougherty
Mooney
O hag
Quinn
McKernan

Interesting to see Mooney at 12
McKernan Wil act as sweeper
McElroy Longstone  and McEvoy Kilcoo to make debut

Strong team
Team not officially released

SHEEDY

Down team named for mayo;

R Burns

G Collins
G McGovern
P Murdock

P Laverty
K McKernan
J Flynn

R McEvoy
C Mooney

C Doherty
C Poland
D Guinness

B O'Hagan
J Guinness
C Quinn

good luck to the lads for the year ahead
nil satis nisi optimum

Johnnysboys

Well that was a brutal second period of the first half. Kickout strategy?? No tackling, midfield non existent, sweeper - where is he?? Brutal

thewobbler

It's appalling. I would hate to be a defender in a team that gets so absolutely pummelled at midfield. Must be soul destroying.

Down county board would be well within rights to shut off all expenditure on stats and GPS at this point in time. They're  both a distraction and a giant f**king waste of money when the coaches / players are unable / unwilling to find ways to gain a foothold on primary possession.

snoopdog

This is really bad today. Massive gap between the 2 teams. Down midfield and kickouts have been very poor. Must be soul destroying. But you only learn from playing the better teams and this is some learning curve today. Mayo look seriously fitter. Donegal wont be too worried.

snoopdog

Team improved when Kerr and Darren O'Hagan came on.  Down dropped when Mayo got the goal. Barry couldve had a goal but Mayo took the foot of the pedal.  Not sure where Down go from here. Need to stay in Div 2. Down need to be playing strong teams to become competitive.  Conditions were attrocious at times but were the same for both sides. Meath up next, another stern test.  Long journey home after that.

Nanderson

Poor enough game from Down and were lucky to tag on a goal and few points near the end when Mayo were home and dry. Midfield was non existent with Mooney maybe touching the ball 4 times in the game although he won primary possession twice which was more than many. Tally has far too much faith in some players that just aren't up to standard

befair

My expectations were low, a Div 3 team vs a Div 1 team, but that was disappointing. No plan for our kick-outs (or their kick-outs), no midfield, wasteful shooting.

Lotto

Some things never change. There has been little to no progress now with Tally into his third term. He could possibly start with a kickout strategy to retain possession, this is basic stuff men. We should have stayed in Div 3.

Smurfy123

No kick out strategy 3 years later
There has to be a better keeper in Down.
Such an underwhelming performance from Down
The less said about it the better

manwithnoplan

Beat by a team that played an All Ireland final six months ago, a very good side, on their own patch. Not sure what some people were expecting, but plenty of knee jerk reactions to be found after the first competitive game of the season.