St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

SLIGONIAN

The nominees for the 2010 Opel GPA Football Team of the Year have been announced today by the Gaelic Players Association. A total of 45 players have been shortlisted for the Team of the Year, while three players also received nominations for the prestigious Opel GPA Footballer of the Year Award.
The shortlist for the Opel GPA Football Team of the Year includes three players for each position reflecting the dominant role played by each individual player during the 2010 season. The list contains players from 13 counties including: Dublin, Down, Cork, Sligo, Roscommon, Kildare, Tyrone, Louth, Kerry, Limerick, Monaghan, Meath and Armagh.
The Opel Football Team of the Year shortlist reflects the most successful counties in this year's championship with All-Ireland champions Cork receiving a total of nine nominations while runners-up Down received five. Semi-finalists Dublin and Kildare received 5 and 6 nominations respectively.
The three nominees for the Opel Football Player of the year as chosen by the Football Selection Committee are: Bernard Brogan (Dublin); Benny Coulter (Down); and John Doyle (Kildare).
The shortlists were drawn up by a selection committee headed by Chairman Martin McHugh. The winners will be selected by GPA members. The Opel GPA Player of the Year for Football will be announced at the GPA Gala Evening at the City West Hotel on Friday, 5th November 2010.
Commenting on the announcement, Chairman of the Football Selection Committee Martin McHugh said the nominations were a result of considered deliberations by the committee and emphasised that individual performance took precedence over team endeavour: "These type of awards are entirely subjective and don't always attract everyone's approval but the over-riding objective is to get the best 15 players for the 15 individual positions," said the former Donegal All-Ireland winner. "Those of us on the committee believe that the overall aim can be achieved from the 45 players whom we have chosen for the nominations."
Dessie Farrell, Chief Executive of the Gaelic Players' Association said: "It was a wonderful football season with a thrilling climax and I would like to congratulate the nominees and thank Martin McHugh and his selection committee. The players will now choose the final 15 and their Player of the Year, no doubt generating much debate and analysis in the process. Thanks to Opel for their continuing support of the GPA Player Awards."
Nominees for Opel GPA Football Team of the Year 2010:
1. Stephen Cluxton (Dublin) / Brendan McVeigh (Down) / Alan Quirke (Cork)
2. Charlie Harrison (Sligo) / Seanie McDermott (Roscommon) / Peter Kelly (Kildare)
3. Justin McMahon (Tyrone) / Rory O'Carroll (Dublin) / Michael Shields (Cork)
4. John O'Brien (Louth) / Eoin Cadogan (Cork) / Philly McMahon (Dublin)
5. Kevin McKernan (Down) / Tomas Ó Sé ( Kerry) / Stephen Lavin (Limerick)
6. Graham Canty (Cork) / Conor Gormley ( Tyrone) / Emmet Bolton (Kildare)
7. Paudie Kissane (Cork) / Philip Jordan (Tyrone) / Damien Freeman (Monaghan)
8/9. Paddy Keenan (Louth) / John Galvin (Limerick) / Aidan Walsh (Cork) / Michael Darragh Macauley (Dublin) / Daryl Flynn (Kildare) / Dick Clerkin (Monaghan)
10. Patrick Kelly (Cork) / Daniel Hughes (Down) / Alan Costello (Sligo)
11. Martin Clarke (Down) / Joe Sheridan (Meath) / Eamon Callaghan (Kildare)
12. John Doyle (Kildare) / Cathal Cregg (Roscommon) / Graham Reilly (Meath)
13. Daniel Goulding (Cork) / David Kelly (Sligo) / Colm Cooper (Kerry)
14. Donie Shine (Roscommon) / Benny Coulter (Down) / Steven McDonnell (Armagh)
15. Donncha O'Connor (Cork) / Bernard Brogan (Dublin) / James Kavanagh (Kildare)
Nominees for Opel GPA Player of the Year for Football 2010:
Bernard Brogan (Dublin) / Benny Coulter (Down) / John Doyle (Kildare
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

SLIGONIAN

Congrats to all 3, it will be interesting to see if Charlie gets it again but with Peter Kelly in the same line i have my doubts. I dont think he'll mind.

I have to say i especially delighted for Costello, he definitly deserved a nomination for an All star and at least he does here, dont think he will get it though.

Fair play to Kelly aswell.

Pity Ross Donovan isnt getting recognised at all, i find that quite bewildering.

paddypastit

Sligonian, don't visistr the board that often but man you are wayyy off the mark on a number of counts here. Meath people are embarrassed by the concept of being regarded as physical. Meath teams of the past were - not these babies. They might have a few long fellas but not strong. Maybe Banty will fix that but they're soft at the core in the eyes of Meath people whpo feel they have a long way to go.  Kildare play at a high tempo and play through the ball which I agree Sligo don't do... but they are not particularly strong - well conditioned yes but that is a different thing.

As for the point about starting slowly, well frankly that is not worth debating. The ONLY way that this Sligo team will maintain its progress is by making sure it stays in Div 2. so that it is guaranteed a decent standard of football in every game that it plays over a period of years - not a few weeks over the summer.  If they don't get a good start, that is in serious question - look at TYrone and Derry last year if you need guiodance and I shouldn't even mention Westmeath... Fine, the league fianl might be overcooking expectations but if they don't start with that ambition, they will have problems. I would completely agree re finding a CHB - which is the biggest by far of our problems - there are options elsewhere but believe me, from experience, 2011 is ALL about the league. Winning Connaught and then looking towards 2012 in Div 3 is failure.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

paddypastit

Murphy delivered - not likeable but delivered.

Personally don't know any of the three as administrators so can't commenty but had heard it said that Queenan was in the mix again? Wouldn't be in favour but heard it said?
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: paddypastit on October 24, 2010, 11:33:14 PM

Personally don't know any of the three as administrators so can't commenty but had heard it said that Queenan was in the mix again? Wouldn't be in favour but heard it said?
Delivered what exactly Paddy?

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: paddypastit on October 24, 2010, 11:29:54 PM
Sligonian, don't visistr the board that often but man you are wayyy off the mark on a number of counts here. Meath people are embarrassed by the concept of being regarded as physical. Meath teams of the past were - not these babies. They might have a few long fellas but not strong. Maybe Banty will fix that but they're soft at the core in the eyes of Meath people whpo feel they have a long way to go.  Kildare play at a high tempo and play through the ball which I agree Sligo don't do... but they are not particularly strong - well conditioned yes but that is a different thing.

As for the point about starting slowly, well frankly that is not worth debating. The ONLY way that this Sligo team will maintain its progress is by making sure it stays in Div 2. so that it is guaranteed a decent standard of football in every game that it plays over a period of years - not a few weeks over the summer.  If they don't get a good start, that is in serious question - look at TYrone and Derry last year if you need guiodance and I shouldn't even mention Westmeath... Fine, the league fianl might be overcooking expectations but if they don't start with that ambition, they will have problems. I would completely agree re finding a CHB - which is the biggest by far of our problems - there are options elsewhere but believe me, from experience, 2011 is ALL about the league. Winning Connaught and then looking towards 2012 in Div 3 is failure.
Winning Connacht is everything, everything........ for us in 2011. Its hard to believe that you think this way.

Mano

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 24, 2010, 11:43:46 PM

We won a Connaught senior title, won provincial and all-Ireland junior during his tenure. We have a good senior manager in charge.
Underage has been a disappointment and his failure to select a manager for under 21 last year over personal issues was disappointing.
Overall he has been a success

magpie seanie

How are the finances in the county this weather?

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Mano on October 26, 2010, 02:55:03 PM

We won a Connaught senior title, won provincial and all-Ireland junior during his tenure. We have a good senior manager in charge.
Underage has been a disappointment and his failure to select a manager for under 21 last year over personal issues was disappointing.
Do you think he delivered the connacht title for us? Do you remember the corrigan era and Jordan era, and we were blessed to have someone like breheny to get us into to some sort of shape. The junior is a total fad and has no nothing to do with the development of sligo gaa. What was our club championship like when he took over, whats it like now? Did the county chairman hire walsh do you think? How did walsh do in the 2nd half in salthill or the connacht final, i'll judge walsh on 2011, hes done ok so far for me with the league but championship is everything to me..

How many matches have our minors won during his tenure? I think his selection policy on u21 managers cost us 2 connacht titles. His selections on minor managers were poor.

It is criminal that there is no u21 or u18 county manager in place for 2011. Its a repeat of last yrs mistake and pisses me off.

Mano

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 27, 2010, 12:09:32 AM

Do you think he delivered the connacht title for us? Do you remember the corrigan era and Jordan era, and we were blessed to have someone like breheny to get us into to some sort of shape. The junior is a total fad and has no nothing to do with the development of sligo gaa. What was our club championship like when he took over, whats it like now? Did the county chairman hire walsh do you think? How did walsh do in the 2nd half in salthill or the connacht final, i'll judge walsh on 2011, hes done ok so far for me with the league but championship is everything to me..

How many matches have our minors won during his tenure? I think his selection policy on u21 managers cost us 2 connacht titles. His selections on minor managers were poor.

It is criminal that there is no u21 or u18 county manager in place for 2011. Its a repeat of last yrs mistake and pisses me off.
The previous administration brought in Corrigan. Murphy was just appointed as chairman and got rid of Corrigan after a poor start to the league and brought in Brehony. Obviously Jordan was a mistake.
Structure of championship is the same as it was in the early part of the decade - in group stage and played off after Sligo have exited the championship. Standard of the club championship has little to do with the county board and more to do with the individual clubs.
As County chairman of course he has a big input in who becomes senior manager. Walsh has brought us from division 4 to division 2 and we have progressed hugely in those 2 years. Next 2 years hopefully will bring more meaningful silverware.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Mano on October 27, 2010, 10:00:47 AM

The previous administration brought in Corrigan. Murphy was just appointed as chairman and got rid of Corrigan after a poor start to the league and brought in Brehony. Obviously Jordan was a mistake.
Structure of championship is the same as it was in the early part of the decade - in group stage and played off after Sligo have exited the championship. Standard of the club championship has little to do with the county board and more to do with the individual clubs.
As County chairman of course he has a big input in who becomes senior manager. Walsh has brought us from division 4 to division 2 and we have progressed hugely in those 2 years. Next 2 years hopefully will bring more meaningful silverware.

That seems to be the prevailing thinking of the outgoing regime, I'll give you that.

SLIGONIAN

Apologies, i remembered the controversy over the sacking and thought they brought him in. I dont think we have progressed as much as everyone thinks, we went into the championship last yr with no FB or CHB. Thats criminal to me. We'll see where the next 2 yrs takes us but the players are there. As for club championship, i believe the CB are responsible for the clubs, alot more could be done to help them, also county players have to play more league games with clubs to improve it, there is alienation between county players and club players nowadays becuase county players play so little for them there losing touch. The structure of the club championship is fine but thats not the problem.

Mano

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 27, 2010, 10:05:16 AM

That seems to be the prevailing thinking of the outgoing regime, I'll give you that.
Seanie what's your opinion of the outgoing 'regime'? I know there were a few issues that you mentioned previously where you were critical of the county board in particular the transfer of underage players away from their parish to a neighbouring club. That is obviously not satisfactory but overall county board or chairman has very little impact on club championship.

twotwocharlie

check out www.winonehundredthousand.ie  great value for 20 euro

potential income for any club willing to promote this draw in their own area

Mano

Tourlestrane is in mourning with the sudden death of an upcoming star and a nice young fella from a lovely family. He was a member of Tourlestrane senior panel for the last 2 years and played minor, under 20 and junior. He also played with St Attractas last year.
Tragically he was to celebrate his 18th birthday in Flynns Aclare tonight.
Condolences to Leo, Kathleen and family on their sad loss. Rest in peace Darren