Laois 2017 - NHL and Leinster SHC

Started by G@@, October 14, 2016, 04:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobias

I see Cha is not on the panel for the match against Meath. Is he injured? What's the story with Cahir Healy and Darren Maher?

TP Ashe

Picky definitely missed the Offaly game, I think I heard Cha did as well.
Healy should be back for the league.

Darren Maher was on the sideline against NUIG, was togged but didn't feature against DIT. Presume he's injured, will be interesting to see if he can shift Leigh Bergin.

Tom Delaney not on the panel for 2017. New business a factor apparently.

redsetanta

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Ogie

TP Ashe

Decent workout from Laois today.

I know Galway were short a few, more than we were to be fair but if we supplement what we have with the likes of Cha, Picky, Lennon and Palmer then we might have cause for some optimism.

Fleming made three stunning saves and must surely hold the starting jersey as things stand.
Leigh Bergin is progressing well at full-back.
Healy was solid but for a really unfortunate error for their goal.
Personally, I'd like Purcell back in midified but he's a great option at centre-back.
Conroy is playing very well.
King, Foyle and Dunphy look sharp and dangerous even though things didn't quite fall for them today.
Lyons, Downey and Corby never stop working and look good additions to the panel.

The Carlow IT lads should give things a boost with the league opener now very much on the horizon.

hurlingmad

Quote from: TP Ashe on January 22, 2017, 05:24:55 PM
Decent workout from Laois today.

I know Galway were short a few, more than we were to be fair but if we supplement what we have with the likes of Cha, Picky, Lennon and Palmer then we might have cause for some optimism.

Fleming made three stunning saves and must surely hold the starting jersey as things stand.
Leigh Bergin is progressing well at full-back.
Healy was solid but for a really unfortunate error for their goal.
Personally, I'd like Purcell back in midified but he's a great option at centre-back.
Conroy is playing very well.
King, Foyle and Dunphy look sharp and dangerous even though things didn't quite fall for them today.
Lyons, Downey and Corby never stop working and look good additions to the panel.

The Carlow IT lads should give things a boost with the league opener now very much on the horizon.
Best iv ever seen Fleming hurl, was simply excellent today along with lyons who is very good to catch and win balls, Conroy was lively all day and for january it was a decent game of hurling

redsetanta

The Walsh Cup has been a very worthwhile competition for Laois this year. There are two or three players for sure who got their starts and should keep their place for the league opener. Eoin Fleming in goals is fighting for the no 1 jersey and should retain it. Leigh Bergin has been excellent at full back and the likes of Eanna Lyons, Adrian Corby and others have really stood up for the county. Considering the personnel we have lost over the past 12/18 months it's heartening to see these players come in. Cahir back yesterday and then we have Cha playing brilliant stuff for Carlow IT and we have the rest of the IT contingent to come into the reckoning.
As Kelly said after yesterdays game there are 22 players realistically fighting for the 15 starting places. Competition withing the panel will also drive up the standard.
We all know how important the first two league games will be and particularly the Offaly game under lights in O'Moore Park on the 18th Feb. That should be some battle. 
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

redsetanta

Good win for IT Carlow over DIT last night. Rowland, Palmer, Cha and Picky played full game for them with Picky getting 8 points, 5 from play, and Cha chipping in with 4 points.

Ogie

Good to see picky back to form, we're going to need him to be on top form this year.

Anyone care to pick our starting 15 for Kerry??

blueandwhite1

Picky was a phenomenon for Carlow IT last year too but seemed to struggle with the county afterwards. Hopefully he will be back to his best for the year.

My guess at the Kerry 15 -

Fleming
Palmer
Maher
Healy / Lawlor
Mullaney
Whelan
Bergin
Purcell
Downey
Picky
Conroy
Cha
King
Foyle
Willie Dunphy

Good strong bench in terms of forwards. Backs are always the worry with this team.

Goku

Fleming/Rowland

Palmer
Bergin
Healy

Mullaney
P Purcell
M Whelan

P Whelan
B Conroy

Picky
Cha
Willie Dunphy

King
Foyle
PJ Scully

While all fine hurlers we could do with a few more physical lads around the team. Hopefully we can make an improvement on last year

burdizzo

Goku's much nearer the mark, I'd say. Forwards will rotate a bit, I'd imagine.

Don Draper

Still struggling for go to puck out option on that half forward line. A curse of ours over the last god knows how long, and even worse now with Willie gone.

redsetanta

If Kelly persists with Leigh Bergin at full back would Darren Maher be ok for one of the corners. He is a tenacious hurler but is full back his 'only' position?

In my opinion centre back has been a problem in the past because as good a hurler as MAtthew is he lacks that bit of pace and agility and can be a bit flat footed at times. Maybe that's the reason Kelly is playing him on the wing.

Conroy seems to be playing well in the middle of the park so he'll probably keep him there. Could Picky do a job at centre back or centre field. We have alot more options in the front six.

Mullaney seems to have cemented a half back position and he is a big physical lad. We need fella's on that line that can win primary possession. That's why Willie Hyland will be such a loss as there is no-one else who can catch a sliotar like him and you need that in a team if you're going anywhere.

Will Kelly dabble with a sweeper at all? Did he play one with Kerry or Offaly?