Started by Mossy Bruce, November 09, 2018, 08:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zooming around

I see Jack Nolan throwing his tuppence in on twitter

The Boy Wonder

Quote from: Don Draper on December 16, 2018, 10:39:39 PM
Quote from: burdizzo on December 16, 2018, 10:06:29 PM
Why?

I must say, you do seem to enjoy trying to rile people! Again, I ask - why?
Our county's name is Laois. I asked nicely, there was no attempt to rile you or anyone.

Like it or not the name Leix is part of our heritage and was in common use up the 1960s (as was Maryborough).
The great Laois team of the 1930s would have been called Leix at the time.
When Laois GAA people refer to our county as Leix, e.g. C'mon Leix, you can take it that they are using it as a term of affection.

Don Draper

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on December 17, 2018, 09:41:49 AM
Why?

Our county's name is Laois. I asked nicely, there was no attempt to rile you or anyone.

Like it or not the name Leix is part of our heritage and was in common use up the 1960s (as was Maryborough).
When Laois GAA people refer to our county as Leix, e.g. C'mon Leix, you can take it that they are using it as a term of affection.
Would you shout out "Cmon Maryborough"?

Would you shout out "Cmon the Queens County"?

Its an anglacised version of our heritage. We threw the f**kers off, throw off their terminology as well if you can.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Don Draper on December 17, 2018, 09:44:11 AM
Quote from: The Boy Wonder on December 17, 2018, 09:41:49 AM
Why?

Would you shout out "Cmon Maryborough"?

Would you shout out "Cmon the Queens County"?

Its an anglacised version of our heritage. We threw the f**kers off, throw off their terminology as well if you can.

Legally, the area we call Laois from a GAA perspective, is still Queen's county! Anyone who buys or sells land or a house will see that in the legal paperwork. The ancient Loigis or Leix is not the county we have today. Leix was in the east and north. Ossory was in the south and West and contained towns like Rathdowney, Durrow, Borris-in-Ossory. Queens county unites them. However, many older people from inside and outside the county who talk about hurling still call it Leix.

So anyway, it matters little, we got well beaten by Carlow yesterday, again who are in all respects a superior hurling outfit to us. This is the challenge that Eddie Brennan has, to get everyone on board and hurling at a higher level than we currently are. If anyone thinks we are being beaten by Carlow because they have a 'little bit more done' at this time of year they have their heads in the sand. They were better than us last summer and beat most of our senior team at U21 level two years in a row a couple of years ago. Their county champions also disposed of ours 12 months ago.

redsetanta

Eddie has had his say on hurlers not committing to Laois. Jack Nolan did post about this as he asked Eddie after game if Ciaran Collier had come in and Eddie said he declined the call up. He comes from KK where the culture is so different and he finds it hard to understand why the best club players don't want to go to the next level and represent their county. Welcome to Laois Eddie!
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

SpeculativeEffort

Eddie is starting to remind me of the last Kk man to manage Laois by getting his excuses out in public as early as possible. Managementis about adapting and helping to change an unhelpful culture. Sugrue has set about doing this quietly and its good to see. Eddie looks like he came to Laois with his eyes closed. Now he is opening them and saying what he sees. No doubt its a big task that would even challenge the skills of Joe Schmidt but he needs to try change attitudes instead of making it sound like a lost cause in the media.

blueandwhite1

It is further evidence that we are potentially going backwards. Just like the pre-Cheddar doldrums. No major new talent coming through, players won't commit (especially from Camross), a f@*king clueless county board, and growing animosity between certain clubs.

Eddie Brennan sounds like every county manager from Babs Keating to Teddy McCarthy so far.

Blow-in

Jack Nolan like a dying dog. Thinks he can still bite but nobody really cares

clonadmad

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on December 17, 2018, 05:14:49 PM
It is further evidence that we are potentially going backwards. Just like the pre-Cheddar doldrums. No major new talent coming through, players won't commit (especially from Camross), a f@*king clueless county board, and growing animosity between certain clubs.

Eddie Brennan sounds like every county manager from Babs Keating to Teddy McCarthy so far.

They can't all be wrong

Brennan's coming from a county where the county jersey is viewed as something you'd shoot your granny for

welcomehome

isnt it just typical of laois people .Blame everyone except the players,that wont commit to the county.Eddie comes from a county that have great pride to wear there county jersey..Every year there is excuses.He was asked a question about the players not committing and he answered it.Fair play to the players that have committed..

HURLING1

Since Cheddar no manager has had the best players on the panel and unfortunately this remains the same for next year.

Don Draper

Quote from: HURLING1 on December 17, 2018, 08:25:09 PM
Since Cheddar no manager has had the best players on the panel and unfortunately this remains the same for next year.
And lads couldn't wait to blackguarded Cheddar. You reap what you sow.

HURLING1

Cheddar realised the only way to relative success was to ensure the best players were available. Some on here weren't happy after small beatings by the likes of Galway. Now Carlow are too strong for us.
Not blaming Eddie but we need our best players available.

redsetanta

Ross King's favourite manager to play for. A crime to let Cheddar go. Laois hurling was on the rise, minors doing well, big crowds in O'Moore Park and actually going to games in a confident mood. Sure you can't be having that!
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Keyser Söze

Don't take much joy in reminding people how a vocal few of us pointed out the nucleur nature of allowing Cheddar to walk away. And the downward slide that was about to follow!

The good old CB have well and truly washed their hands. Can't be accused of not spending money- "what more can we do?"
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......