American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on November 05, 2007, 06:53:20 PM
Quote from: thejuice on November 04, 2007, 08:23:51 PM
Record 109 yard touchdown run, San Diego on a Short Field Goal. Ridiculous catch at the back of the End Zone. 14-14 vs Vikings. Damn good game. Adrian Peterson is fantastic. Hope he's on your fantasy team. Vikes QB Jackson out of the game with concussion. Went in hard on a scramble instead of sliding.

In other news the Irish American Football League is hoping to have 12 fully kitted teams competing next season. compared to last years nine. Game is growing and growing in Ireland. Get into it!!

www.irish-american-football.org

thejuice, are you involved in this, do you play yourself?  Seems interesting.

I played for the Dublin Dragons for a few years before I moved across the water. Played for the college over here and am hoping to join up with the local team here. Its a bollox trying to balance playing GAA and Gridiron though. They either clashing or your just too broke up to play. Teams are openly recruiting are setting up flag football for the youngsters. When I move home again I will line out for the Dragons unless by then there is a team in the Royal county.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

GY Joe

Quote from: thejuice on November 05, 2007, 02:07:43 PM
Lions are playing great, happy for them, they're no longer the whipping boys of the NFL. Packers won again too. Brett Farve, Superbowl, Final Year??????

Anyone else notice the cold handshake Tony Dungy got from Bill Bellichick after the game. I think after he got fined for cheating he's got pissed off and is wrecking revenge on the league, ie running up late scores. But still dont know what he'd have against Dungy, he seems a reasonable guy.

Dungy compared Belichick to Barry Bonds after the spygate affair. Overall, I think Dungy is just too sweet to be wholesome. BB in fairness went over and did the perfunctory handshake and 'great game Tony' bit but you know he was not one of his many fans.

Overall, as an ex Boston ex-Pat myself, I am sooo psyched to use the local parlance about the Patriots. Won good money on them when I backed them on 2001 before the snow game against the Raiders (thank you tuck rule). Have been a big fan since in how they do business more than anything else. I knew they would get moss to toe the line, but he is an incredible athlete, now that he locked in as a disciple..

Indy can beat them in the AFC decider, but I hope they go 19-0 so BB can extend the middle finger to the NFL in style..

Allen drained an overtime 3 for the C's in Toronto last night... They look good, dont think they will win no. 17 but they could win the east this year.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: GY Joe on November 05, 2007, 07:58:04 PM
Allen drained an overtime 3 for the C's in Toronto last night... They look good, dont think they will win no. 17 but they could win the east this year.

watched the game - it was very scrappy - we were lucky enough to take it to overtime.
that being said - Boston with the big 3 could go far - but only if they all avoid injury as your bench is wafer thin

Balboa

What about them Browns? Brady Quinn will not be starting this year. I dont think any time has been as poor in the last 7 years.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: thejuice on November 05, 2007, 07:55:12 PM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on November 05, 2007, 06:53:20 PM
Quote from: thejuice on November 04, 2007, 08:23:51 PM
Record 109 yard touchdown run, San Diego on a Short Field Goal. Ridiculous catch at the back of the End Zone. 14-14 vs Vikings. Damn good game. Adrian Peterson is fantastic. Hope he's on your fantasy team. Vikes QB Jackson out of the game with concussion. Went in hard on a scramble instead of sliding.

In other news the Irish American Football League is hoping to have 12 fully kitted teams competing next season. compared to last years nine. Game is growing and growing in Ireland. Get into it!!

www.irish-american-football.org

thejuice, are you involved in this, do you play yourself?  Seems interesting.

I played for the Dublin Dragons for a few years before I moved across the water. Played for the college over here and am hoping to join up with the local team here. Its a bollox trying to balance playing GAA and Gridiron though. They either clashing or your just too broke up to play. Teams are openly recruiting are setting up flag football for the youngsters. When I move home again I will line out for the Dragons unless by then there is a team in the Royal county.

Is it hard to get into?  Like you know the way if you never played soccer before you could still go out there and get the hang if it pretty easily, and in a way its the same with hurling and football.  Is it different with American Football?  It seems like it would be pretty hard to get the hang of, I was wondering because I wouldnt mind giving it a go, but have no experience or anything but there seems to be a few teams out there looking for players.  Any advice?

AZOffaly

Sorry GY Joe, but what do you mean by this??

Quotebut I hope they go 19-0 so BB can extend the middle finger to the NFL in style..

The Patriots may well go 19-0, and if they do in these days in the NFL it will be an unreal achievement, but how would that justify giving 2 fingers to anybody? They got caught rotten cheating. Belichick can count himself lucky he wasn't suspended for the season, or that the Patriots didn't forfeit at least that game.

thejuice

RE:Galwaybhoy

(I wouldnt say hurlings easy to get the hang of  :P , not for a Meath man anyway)

There are a team setting up in Galway if your still living there. Think they're in the city. Its not too hard to get into, if you already know how the game is played from TV, ie the different roles and positions. JUst as long as you know the general rules, i think most important is understanding the Holding rule and the Offside rule. there the ones that catch the beginners out the most. the other most important thing is to listen to the coaches and also you'll be given a play book, and you must learn it in your spare time.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: thejuice on November 06, 2007, 09:24:51 AM
RE:Galwaybhoy

(I wouldnt say hurlings easy to get the hang of  :P , not for a Meath man anyway)

There are a team setting up in Galway if your still living there. Think they're in the city. Its not too hard to get into, if you already know how the game is played from TV, ie the different roles and positions. JUst as long as you know the general rules, i think most important is understanding the Holding rule and the Offside rule. there the ones that catch the beginners out the most. the other most important thing is to listen to the coaches and also you'll be given a play book, and you must learn it in your spare time.

Well I'd know the main rules of the game, but wouldn't know much tactical wise.  I dont play any sport at the moment and would be interested in giving this a go, but dont fancy joining a team where everyone else has huge experience of the sport, but if teams are willing to train beginners then I would love to try it out.  Ya I heard there was a team setting up in Galway, I'm an hour from the city but I would have no problem driving in and out.  Might look it up further.  Thanks for the information juice.

GY Joe

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 06, 2007, 08:55:56 AM

Quotebut I hope they go 19-0 so BB can extend the middle finger to the NFL in style..

The Patriots may well go 19-0, and if they do in these days in the NFL it will be an unreal achievement, but how would that justify giving 2 fingers to anybody? They got caught rotten cheating. Belichick can count himself lucky he wasn't suspended for the season, or that the Patriots didn't forfeit at least that game.

Granted they were caught cheating. When I say the NFL  I mean the establishment, other coaches, NFL management, some media etc. They were caught, but dont tell me other teams have not being doing it. The attempt to call into question the Pats other 3 SB wins, to somehow tarnish them has given BB his causes belli (whatever the latin term is for reason to attack) and he is doing it with relish. The US media, are now painting them as the evil empire like the Yanks, I'd say he enjoys that to be honest. Like I sais, I like the way they operate. I dont thhink that taping signals gave them the edge in 3 SB seasons, but I think BB is going to prove it with interest going 19 and oh... Watch and enjoy..

thejuice

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on November 06, 2007, 11:34:04 AM
Well I'd know the main rules of the game, but wouldn't know much tactical wise.  I dont play any sport at the moment and would be interested in giving this a go, but dont fancy joining a team where everyone else has huge experience of the sport, but if teams are willing to train beginners then I would love to try it out.  Ya I heard there was a team setting up in Galway, I'm an hour from the city but I would have no problem driving in and out.  Might look it up further.  Thanks for the information juice.

No team would turn anyone away, irrespective of knowledge, fitness or size. every year people start out without any experience of the game, I've trained with lads who didnt have a clue what they were at. If you've watched the game, or play Madden on your PS2 or whatever, you know as much as anyone who goes out for the first time. By the way its played to NCAA rules and not NFL rules.

heganboy

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

magickingdom

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 06, 2007, 08:55:56 AM

seen this on a couple of threads but dont really know the story. what did bellichick and the pats do?

Gabriel_Hurl

they apparently had someone videotaping the Oppositions defensive coach and seeing what plays he was planning

magickingdom

thats hardly cheating as we'd know it...

heganboy

well except that the coaches signal the plays in every time, patriots learn their signals and know what plays are coming next, its cheating...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity