Leinster Minor Hurling 2019

Started by burdizzo, April 24, 2019, 04:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAA-SMART

Bar numbers at underage I would think we are fairly equal now. We ahve fantastic facilities and rescources

blueandwhite1

Quote from: GAA-SMART on June 03, 2019, 11:53:30 AM
Bar numbers at underage I would think we are fairly equal now. We ahve fantastic facilities and rescources

You have got to be kidding. Spend a day going around some of the big club facilities in Dublin and you might change your mind. Kilmacud and Ballyboden alone have more resources and a bigger underage playing population than county Laois. In reality, if Dublin got it right all the rest wouldn't have a hope of competing with them.

Don Draper

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on June 04, 2019, 10:55:12 AM

You have got to be kidding. Spend a day going around some of the big club facilities in Dublin and you might change your mind. Kilmacud and Ballyboden alone have more resources and a bigger underage playing population than county Laois. In reality, if Dublin got it right all the rest wouldn't have a hope of competing with them.
But they won't. They're so big that brings its own issues. They can still only put 15 on the field. Throwing your hands up in the air isn't going to do much. Dublin have had these margins and are trying to capitalise on them for over a decade or more, and I don't see them dominating Minor All Ireland quite yet do you?

GAA-SMART

Quote from: Don Draper on June 04, 2019, 10:57:07 AM
Quote from: blueandwhite1 on June 04, 2019, 10:55:12 AM

But they won't. They're so big that brings its own issues. They can still only put 15 on the field. Throwing your hands up in the air isn't going to do much. Dublin have had these margins and are trying to capitalise on them for over a decade or more, and I don't see them dominating Minor All Ireland quite yet do you?

I was referring to our Intercounty facilities at OMP tbh. I see the point re the clubs and their facilties but at the end of the day can still only pick 26 on a match day play 15 of them.

Keyser Söze

I'm neither being facetious or defeatist! Our facilities, resources and playing numbers are nowhere near Dublin, and never will be.
We are competing with teams who we are traditionally better than at underage in both codes right now.
That's the first step. Being ALWAYS better than them- Carlow, Longford etc in football,  and Carlow, Westmeath (& Offaly now) in Hurling.
That should be our aim first and foremost.
In bad years (talent wise) we beat the teams above
In good years (talent wise) we compete strongly with the next level (Dublin, Kildare in football & Dublin, Kilkenny, Wexford in Hurling).
In very good years (Talent wise) we beat some of these teams at the "next level".

It's important to be ambitious, and realistic!
Realism and a practical, achievable attitude to progress is extremely underrated!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

smcder

Awful fixture making with the minors and seniors Saturday.

SpeculativeEffort

Disappointing finish to cship. Team has lots of potential senior hurlers but they learned a harsh lesson today. Unforced errors especially on puck outs and missed goal chances really cost us. We were really asking questions of Wexford before the 3rd goal went in and that score gave Wexford a major confidence boost.

Giovanni

Yes it was a harsh lesson. They were very competitive with Wexford for 40 mins but there was a 20 minute spell where everything went wrong. There wasn't a lot of leadership shown on the team at that stage I have to say and not too much on the line either. I've been very impressed with the management team overall but I'm afraid this wasn't one of their better days.

As was said there were some good performances. The entire full back line did very well despite the concession of the 4 goals. Tadhg Cuddy did his best to show some leadership, David Dooley was good and James Duggan was again very good.

The final score didn't do them justice but players and management need to learn from these experiences.

Giovanni

Should also say that for such a high profile ref, I thought he was really poor.

SpeculativeEffort

Id agree on the referee but i dont think he influenced the outcome. After goal 3 we lost 4-5 puck outs in a row, our movement was poor and the old Laois failing of playing the scoreboard instead of the ball set in for 10 mins. Wexford tacked on scores. Laois did get going again and finished strong but was this just a 'shur we have nothing to lose now' effort. The composure was needed directly after goal 3 but it didnt happen.

Giovanni

Yes I'd agree although the "penalty" was almost certainly outside of the square and the decision to award a free to Laois and then throw it in for some reason only known to himself came at a very important stage of the game.

Home Boys Home

Quote from: Giovanni on June 08, 2019, 08:30:10 PM
Yes it was a harsh lesson. They were very competitive with Wexford for 40 mins but there was a 20 minute spell where everything went wrong. There wasn't a lot of leadership shown on the team at that stage I have to say and not too much on the line either. I've been very impressed with the management team overall but I'm afraid this wasn't one of their better days.

As was said there were some good performances. The entire full back line did very well despite the concession of the 4 goals. Tadhg Cuddy did his best to show some leadership, David Dooley was good and James Duggan was again very good.

The final score didn't do them justice but players and management need to learn from these experiences.

Management actually far from impressive.  Some very questionable selection decisions that were always going to be punished once we moved out of tier2 .

merman

Quote from: Home Boys Home on June 08, 2019, 10:52:56 PM
Quote from: Giovanni on June 08, 2019, 08:30:10 PM

Management actually far from impressive.  Some very questionable selection decisions that were always going to be punished once we moved out of tier2 .

I'm afraid I agree.

Mad Mentor

Just as regards leadership on the field, this is an U17 team and very few lads will have the emotional maturity to handle the setbacks in the biggest game of their life so far.

Giovanni

I suppose I'm really talking about game management rather than leadership. By the age of 17, lads should be taught how to recognize when things are going wrong and how to deal with it. I'm afraid the management themselves didn't seem to take any action either.

I wouldn't know enough about the options available to make a judgement about selection. However, it did look to me like Dan Delaney would have been a more sensible option on the half forward line or even further in. Still, I don't have any idea what's going on at training etc so maybe that's unfair.