Excel Questions

Started by magickingdom, February 21, 2008, 12:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

anyone know if its possible to change a column of negitive numbers (about 800 numbers)  into positive numbers? while i'm at it, is it possible to insert a blank line between each number (ie every other row is blank), is there any way of doing this without doing it line by line? thx for any help...

passedit

if that column is the only one with negatives then
edit
replace
find what -
replace with (leave blank)

Or

Insert a column to the right of it, then

data
text to columns
delimited
other -

positive numbers appear in the new column
Don't Panic

magickingdom

worked a treat passedit, thanks a million..

Orior

Quote from: passedit on February 21, 2008, 12:38:01 PM
if that column is the only one with negatives then
edit
replace
find what -
replace with (leave blank)

Or you could have...

Insert a column to the right of it, then

data
text to columns
delimited
other -

positive numbers appear in the new column

Or

add a formula in the adjacent column which is the previous column multiplied by -1. Drag that formula down the new column.
Then copy the new column and paste special (values only) into a third column.

Or

ask some one else to do it for you.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Silky

QuoteOr

ask some one else to do it for you.

Best one of the day!  :D

armaghniac

Quoteanyone know if its possible to change a column of negitive numbers (about 800 numbers)  into positive numbers?

Do you work for Enron?

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

magickingdom

Quote from: armaghniac on February 21, 2008, 01:56:33 PM
Quoteanyone know if its possible to change a column of negitive numbers (about 800 numbers)  into positive numbers?

Do you work for Enron?

ha ha armaghniac, they certainly knew how to make positives out of negitives. much more boring what i'm at  ;D ;D

bennydorano

Quote from: magickingdom on February 21, 2008, 02:42:00 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on February 21, 2008, 01:56:33 PM

Do you work for Enron?

ha ha armaghniac, they certainly knew how to make positives out of negitives. much more boring what i'm at  ;D ;D
Very topical, how many years ago was that, 5??

armaghniac

QuoteVery topical, how many years ago was that, 5??

Some of us are old, Benny, I remember when people fiddled Lotus 123. And if I knew who was fiddling the books today, I'd sell their shares or something. ;D
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

magickingdom

yet another question..

if i have information in 300 rows of a spreadsheet and i wish to insert a clear row every second row any quick way of doing it? eg row 1-300 has info need to insert a row at 2,4,6,8...300. thanks if anyone can help

Bensars

Yeah new column at A.

Within your existing Data and in the new column inserted enter 1. The cell below it enter 3.  Then hightlight both and drag bottom right coner of data to complete odd numbers in new column all the way down to the bottom of your data.

The still in column A  enter 2,4 and drag all the way down to about 600.

Then Data sort by column A. you should now have your existing data and new rows in between.

Now delete column A

magickingdom

Quote from: Bensars on September 30, 2008, 02:36:55 PM
Yeah new column at A.

Within your existing Data and in the new column inserted enter 1. The cell below it enter 3.  Then hightlight both and drag bottom right coner of data to complete odd numbers in new column all the way down to the bottom of your data.

Then Data sort by column A. you should now have your existing data and new rows in between.

Now delete column A

bensars, how can i enter 1 in my column with data without losing it? some of my data are numbers

Billys Boots

Yeah, Bensars thing works alright.

Insert a column after cellA1, then drag across the bottom of cellB2 until whatever Column 600 is.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Bensars

Your basically adding a new column at edge. Call it a margin if you will.  You will then remove it again.

It wont effect your data, formulas or anything else

magickingdom

Quote from: Bensars on September 30, 2008, 02:36:55 PM
Yeah new column at A.

Now delete column A

for some reason cant get it to work. what do you mean by within my existing data bensars? and where do i enter 2,4 etc? sorry!!