American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakleaflad

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on April 26, 2018, 01:18:11 PM
https://twitter.com/WillGav/status/989470907348418560

QuoteBREAKING: @Jaguars & @FulhamFC owner Shahid Khan set to buy Wembley in deal worth up to £1 billion!

Details below - what does this mean for England? what does this mean for @NFLUK fans? and what does it mean for the Jags?

Permanent NFL team ??
Certainly one step closer.

TabClear

Quote from: oakleaflad on April 26, 2018, 01:23:44 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on April 26, 2018, 01:18:11 PM
https://twitter.com/WillGav/status/989470907348418560

QuoteBREAKING: @Jaguars & @FulhamFC owner Shahid Khan set to buy Wembley in deal worth up to £1 billion!

Details below - what does this mean for England? what does this mean for @NFLUK fans? and what does it mean for the Jags?

Permanent NFL team ??
Certainly one step closer.

Numbers seem a bit strange on this one based on the BBC report below. Not sure what the debenture is that they are referring to is but if the offere is for £500m for the stadium that cost £757m to build I would be surprised if they go for it. I would have thought an asset like Wembley would be priced at a premium to build cost rather than a 33% discount after a decade of relatively light usage.

"The Football Association has received an offer, thought to be worth £800m, to sell Wembley Stadium.

Shahid Khan, the owner of Fulham and NFL team Jacksonville Jaguars, is the prospective buyer.

It is understood the approach includes £500m for the stadium and £300m for the FA to keep the Club Wembley debenture and hospitality business."

Minder

ALL the talk now is Baker Mayfield to the Browns #1
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Syferus

Quote from: Minder on April 26, 2018, 03:26:04 PM

Johnny Manziel V2.

Minder

Quote from: Syferus on April 26, 2018, 03:30:38 PM
Quote from: Minder on April 26, 2018, 03:26:04 PM

Johnny Manziel V2.

Yeah I can't see it but this being the Browns I wouldn't be surprised
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

trailer

I've no idea about this but can someone who's drafted to a team refuse to play for them? Like Cleveland are a bit shit, so could the 1st round pick just down tools and push for a move? Or is this not the done thing?

Gabriel_Hurl

Eli Manning - said he wouldn't play for the Chargers if picked.

They drafted him anyway - although they already had a trade deal in place with the Giants who drafted Phillip Rivers and they swapped players.

AZOffaly

Quote from: trailer on April 26, 2018, 04:00:12 PM
I've no idea about this but can someone who's drafted to a team refuse to play for them? Like Cleveland are a bit shit, so could the 1st round pick just down tools and push for a move? Or is this not the done thing?

John Elway famously refused to play for the Colts when they drafted him in the 1983 draft. He threatened to play baseball with the New York Yankees unless he was traded, and he ended up in Denver.

Strictly speaking, the team that drafts you owns the rights to you, but you still have to sign the contract with them. If you don't sign, they can either kick you out of the league, or else trade you to someone else rather than having a wasted pick.

These days though, all of that is gone through in advance as part of the exhaustive vetting process.

Therealdonald

Can't see Mayfield going as the 1st or 2nd QB. See Minkah Fitzpatrick dropping to 12 as well. Cant figure out why.

Capt Pat

Quote from: LooseCannon on April 26, 2018, 11:36:01 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 26, 2018, 11:07:43 AM
Well kids, draft round 1 tonight. What do we reckon? If I was the Browns GM, unless I was absolutely taken with one of the top 4 QBs, I'd go Barkley first, and QB in 4th.  If that happens, I think the first 4 spots will stay the same. If the Browns go QB at #1, Barkley will surely be gone by #4, so maybe the Browns will trade down and let maybe the Cardinals or Patriots come up for someone like Rosen, Allen or Mayfield. Allen's stock has risen, but from looking at some of the clips of him last season, his accuracy looks to be a real problem. He threw a country mile at the Combine, but that's not the same as trying to keep your eyes down the field when a 6' 7'' DE is looking to take your head off.

The word is Rosen may slip because people are worried about his 'love' for the game and the fact that he challenges his coaches and needs everything right. Might be me, but I would think a perfectionist like that might fit in with the Patriot way.

For the Cardinals, I'd like them to be in play for Rosen or Mayfield. I don't like Allen's accuracy issues, nor do I like Darnolds USCness. Mason Rudolph might end up being the best QB in the draft, and if he falls, don't be surprised if the Patriots pick him up.  Lamar Jackson is intriguing but he'll only fit certain offences, and he might end up in the second round.

There's other good players at all positions. Bradley Chubb at DE is likely to be a big success, and teams with a pass rush need would love him, but it may be that the Browns take him at 4 if they go QB 1. Calvin Ridley is probably the best receiver in a middling receivers class. Offensive line is probably above average, two good Notre Dame linemen likely to go in round 1, along with a couple of others from Alabama and Georgia. DL strong too. DBs and Linebackers are also strong, and the Alabama safety/db Minkah Fitzpatrick will be coveted. Darrius Guice, the LSU running back might get into the top round as well, but if he doesn't he should be a bargain in round 2.

Here's the current draft order, which can of course change if trades are made.

Round 1

1 CLEVELAND BROWNS
2 NEW YORK GIANTS
3 NEW YORK JETS
4 CLEVELAND BROWNS
5 DENVER BRONCOS
6 INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
7 TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
8 CHICAGO BEARS
9 SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS
10 OAKLAND RAIDERS
11 MIAMI DOLPHINS
12 BUFFALO BILLS
13 WASHINGTON REDSKINS
14 GREEN BAY PACKERS
15 ARIZONA CARDINALS
16 BALTIMORE RAVENS
17 LOS ANGELES CHARGERS
18 SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
19 DALLAS COWBOYS
20 DETROIT LIONS
21 CINCINNATI BENGALS
22 BUFFALO BILLS
23 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
24 CAROLINA PANTHERS
25 TENNESSEE TITANS
26 ATLANTA FALCONS
27 NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
28 PITTSBURGH STEELERS
29 JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
30 MINNESOTA VIKINGS
31 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
32 PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

No Picks currently (barring trades) in round 1 for : LOS ANGELES RAMS, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS and HOUSTON TEXANS

This is the latest mock draft from Mike Mayock, note he has some trades predicted. Also worth noting the most accurate draft prediction last year got 11 correct, so treat with caution :)

1 - Cleveland Browns : Sam Darnold, QB, USC
2 - New York Giants : Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
3 - New York Jets : Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma
4 - Cleveland Browns : Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State
5 - Denver Broncos: Quenton Nelson, OT, Notre Dame
6 - Buffalo Bills *PREDICTS TRADE WITH COLTS*: Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming
7 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers : Derwin James, S, Florida State
8 - Chicago Bears : Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
9 - San Francisco 49ers : Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State
10 - Oakland Raiders : Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame
11 - Miami Dolphins : Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech
12 - Indianapolis Colts *PREDICTS TRADE WITH BILLS*: Minkah Fitzpatrick, S, Alabama
13 - Washington Redskins : Vita Vea, DT, Washington
14 - Green Bay Packers : Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville
15 - Arizona Cardinals  : Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
16 - Baltimore Ravens - Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville
17 - Los Angeles Chargers - Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama
18 - Seattle Seahawks - Marcus Davenport, DE, UT San Antonio
19 - Dallas Cowboys - Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU
20 - Detroit Lions - Harold Landry, DE, Boston College
21 - Cincinnati Bengals - Frank Ragnow, C, Arkansas
22 - Indianapolis Colts *PREDICTS TRADE WITH BILL*: Isiah Wynn, OT, Georgia
23 - New England Patriots : Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA
24 - Carolina Panthers : Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama
25 - Tennessee Titans : Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama
26 - Atlanta Falcons : Taven Bryan, DT, Florida
27 - New Orleans Saints : D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland
28 - Pittsburgh Steelers : Sony Michel, RB, Georgia
29 - Jacksonville Jaguars : Hayden Hurst , TE, South Carolina
30 - Minnesota Vikings : Will Hernandez, OG, UT El Paso
31 - New England Patriots : James Daniels, C, Iowa
32 - Philadephia Eagles : Derrius Guice, RB, LSU

No Picks in Round 1
What time does this throw in at, or is it on tv?
You know yourself, I'm a typical bogman.

It starts at 1 am irish time. You can follow it on the internet on nfl now. It is on tv in America on nfl network, ESPN and Fox. You can also follow it on the internet on nfl gamepass on nfl network but it is a bit late in the year to be getting that.

Capt Pat

Josh Allen has put his foot in it with tweets he made in high school with use of the n word. This came out late last night and he is now trying to limit the damage by apologising.

AZOffaly

Draft is on Sky Sports too.

Oraisteach

I'm with you AZ. I'd like the Browns to  take Barkley 1st because there'll be a decent QB available at #4, but I think it'll be Mayfield, after which I see NYG taking the RB. If so, I'd like CLE to take Chubb.

LooseCannon

Quote from: Capt Pat on April 26, 2018, 09:52:04 PM
Quote from: LooseCannon on April 26, 2018, 11:36:01 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 26, 2018, 11:07:43 AM
Well kids, draft round 1 tonight. What do we reckon? If I was the Browns GM, unless I was absolutely taken with one of the top 4 QBs, I'd go Barkley first, and QB in 4th.  If that happens, I think the first 4 spots will stay the same. If the Browns go QB at #1, Barkley will surely be gone by #4, so maybe the Browns will trade down and let maybe the Cardinals or Patriots come up for someone like Rosen, Allen or Mayfield. Allen's stock has risen, but from looking at some of the clips of him last season, his accuracy looks to be a real problem. He threw a country mile at the Combine, but that's not the same as trying to keep your eyes down the field when a 6' 7'' DE is looking to take your head off.

The word is Rosen may slip because people are worried about his 'love' for the game and the fact that he challenges his coaches and needs everything right. Might be me, but I would think a perfectionist like that might fit in with the Patriot way.

For the Cardinals, I'd like them to be in play for Rosen or Mayfield. I don't like Allen's accuracy issues, nor do I like Darnolds USCness. Mason Rudolph might end up being the best QB in the draft, and if he falls, don't be surprised if the Patriots pick him up.  Lamar Jackson is intriguing but he'll only fit certain offences, and he might end up in the second round.

There's other good players at all positions. Bradley Chubb at DE is likely to be a big success, and teams with a pass rush need would love him, but it may be that the Browns take him at 4 if they go QB 1. Calvin Ridley is probably the best receiver in a middling receivers class. Offensive line is probably above average, two good Notre Dame linemen likely to go in round 1, along with a couple of others from Alabama and Georgia. DL strong too. DBs and Linebackers are also strong, and the Alabama safety/db Minkah Fitzpatrick will be coveted. Darrius Guice, the LSU running back might get into the top round as well, but if he doesn't he should be a bargain in round 2.

Here's the current draft order, which can of course change if trades are made.

Round 1

1 CLEVELAND BROWNS
2 NEW YORK GIANTS
3 NEW YORK JETS
4 CLEVELAND BROWNS
5 DENVER BRONCOS
6 INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
7 TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
8 CHICAGO BEARS
9 SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS
10 OAKLAND RAIDERS
11 MIAMI DOLPHINS
12 BUFFALO BILLS
13 WASHINGTON REDSKINS
14 GREEN BAY PACKERS
15 ARIZONA CARDINALS
16 BALTIMORE RAVENS
17 LOS ANGELES CHARGERS
18 SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
19 DALLAS COWBOYS
20 DETROIT LIONS
21 CINCINNATI BENGALS
22 BUFFALO BILLS
23 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
24 CAROLINA PANTHERS
25 TENNESSEE TITANS
26 ATLANTA FALCONS
27 NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
28 PITTSBURGH STEELERS
29 JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
30 MINNESOTA VIKINGS
31 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
32 PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

No Picks currently (barring trades) in round 1 for : LOS ANGELES RAMS, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS and HOUSTON TEXANS

This is the latest mock draft from Mike Mayock, note he has some trades predicted. Also worth noting the most accurate draft prediction last year got 11 correct, so treat with caution :)

1 - Cleveland Browns : Sam Darnold, QB, USC
2 - New York Giants : Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
3 - New York Jets : Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma
4 - Cleveland Browns : Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State
5 - Denver Broncos: Quenton Nelson, OT, Notre Dame
6 - Buffalo Bills *PREDICTS TRADE WITH COLTS*: Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming
7 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers : Derwin James, S, Florida State
8 - Chicago Bears : Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
9 - San Francisco 49ers : Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State
10 - Oakland Raiders : Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame
11 - Miami Dolphins : Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech
12 - Indianapolis Colts *PREDICTS TRADE WITH BILLS*: Minkah Fitzpatrick, S, Alabama
13 - Washington Redskins : Vita Vea, DT, Washington
14 - Green Bay Packers : Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville
15 - Arizona Cardinals  : Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
16 - Baltimore Ravens - Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville
17 - Los Angeles Chargers - Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama
18 - Seattle Seahawks - Marcus Davenport, DE, UT San Antonio
19 - Dallas Cowboys - Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU
20 - Detroit Lions - Harold Landry, DE, Boston College
21 - Cincinnati Bengals - Frank Ragnow, C, Arkansas
22 - Indianapolis Colts *PREDICTS TRADE WITH BILL*: Isiah Wynn, OT, Georgia
23 - New England Patriots : Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA
24 - Carolina Panthers : Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama
25 - Tennessee Titans : Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama
26 - Atlanta Falcons : Taven Bryan, DT, Florida
27 - New Orleans Saints : D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland
28 - Pittsburgh Steelers : Sony Michel, RB, Georgia
29 - Jacksonville Jaguars : Hayden Hurst , TE, South Carolina
30 - Minnesota Vikings : Will Hernandez, OG, UT El Paso
31 - New England Patriots : James Daniels, C, Iowa
32 - Philadephia Eagles : Derrius Guice, RB, LSU

No Picks in Round 1
What time does this throw in at, or is it on tv?
You know yourself, I'm a typical bogman.

It starts at 1 am irish time. You can follow it on the internet on nfl now. It is on tv in America on nfl network, ESPN and Fox. You can also follow it on the internet on nfl gamepass on nfl network but it is a bit late in the year to be getting that.
Thanks, ah feck it, I'm going to bed.

Gmac

Be interesting to see who the 49ers take as it looks like Rueben may skate on domestic violence charges a lot of people had them taking Roquan smith at 9 but maybe they take a dB if they think the case against foster will be dropped.