Who will lead Fianna Fail in Opposition to the Fine Gael-Labour Coalition Govt?

Started by Fishead_Sam, May 11, 2007, 05:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will lead Fianna Fail in Opposition to the Fine Gael-Labour Coalition Govt?

Cowen, Brian
14 (48.3%)
Ahern, Dermot
5 (17.2%)
Cullen, Martin
0 (0%)
Martin, Micheál
1 (3.4%)
Ó Cuív, Éamon
0 (0%)
O'Dea, Willie
0 (0%)
O'Donoghue, John
0 (0%)
Roche, Dick
1 (3.4%)
Haughey, Seán
0 (0%)
Kitt, Tom
0 (0%)
Lenihan, Brian
0 (0%)
Wallace, Mary
0 (0%)
Other
0 (0%)
Beverly Flynn on rejoining party
2 (6.9%)
Bertie Ahern
6 (20.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28

TacadoirArdMhacha

I'd hardly say dreaming. Its still unlikely but if the polls from todays Irish Times hold then 10% will see SF with 12 seats or so (even taking into account their difficulties with transfers). With the PDs on the verge of destruction, SF added to the independents will probably prevent either FF/ PDs or the rainbow gaining the taoiseach's office. In that situation its all up for grabs and myt gut instinct would be  (and I could be very wrong) that given a choice between opposition and government with SF, Bertie will take the same option as his good friend Doc Paisley.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

deiseach

If FF find themselves with enough seats to form a government with Sinn Fein plus independents, they'll surely be in a position to form one with Labour which wouldn't need the independents. And I don't think we're at the stage where the Soldiers would consider the Shinners more respectable than even a Stickie-led Labour. They'll have to wait until the 31st Dail at least to institute their eat-the-rich policies.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Louth Exile on May 11, 2007, 10:11:55 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 11, 2007, 08:26:40 PM
FHS I think that yourself and a few more posters on this board will be surprised when the results come in, FF to hold steady maybe lose a seat or two, SF to get 12+ seats and an SF FF + Independants Government in for June!  ;)

:D :D :D :D :D You're Dreaming....

We'll see. It's a strong possibility.
Tbc....

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteAnd I don't think we're at the stage where the Soldiers would consider the Shinners more respectable than even a Stickie-led Labour.

Well in fairness current Labour party position is that they will not go into government with FF themselves. OK we all think that'll change when push comes to shove but would Rabitte have to go first since it was pretty much his crusade to "get Bertie out". Its going to be very interesting.

Louth Exile

The precedent is definitely there (when Dick Spring did his major U-turn) and Rabitte was at pains to make sure he didn't rule out a possible coalition with FF. He wants 'this' govt out FF/PD, therefore FF/Lab would be a different ball game in his book. If the seats fall the way the two options were FF/SF+Indo's or just FF/Lab it is long odds on that it would be FF/Lab
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

TacadoirArdMhacha

And the odds reflect that FF/ Lab is 2/1 whereas FF/ SF is 7/1 with Paddy Power. Although I'm pretty sure those odds have tumbled, think SF in government was at least double that last time I checked.

Worth a look at Bertie to be next taoiseach at 10/11.

High Ball

Wil Bertie get a backseat or a fronbench role if he was ousted, he is both FFs biggest asset and liability at the same time, corrupt but popular, what an Irish outlook on Governance  ???

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 12, 2007, 12:48:53 AM
Quote from: Louth Exile on May 11, 2007, 10:11:55 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 11, 2007, 08:26:40 PM
FHS I think that yourself and a few more posters on this board will be surprised when the results come in, FF to hold steady maybe lose a seat or two, SF to get 12+ seats and an SF FF + Independants Government in for June!  ;)

:D :D :D :D :D You're Dreaming....

We'll see. It's a strong possibility.

There is about as much chance of Gerry Adams getting elected to the Dail this time as there is of FF only losing 1 or 2 seats.......if they lose less than 15 they will be doing well...

Fishead_Sam

Very emotional Fianna FAILure canvasser in the audience on Q & A tonight, he was almost crying and sounded like Kevin Keegan "Id really love to beat them, sob sob"

I wish I hadn't cast my vote, Michael Martin was talking up Sein Fein, I reckon he wants to be the next leader of Fianna FAIL and try and get a coalition with Sein Fein. Unfortunatly for them both they will be in opposition.

Louth Exile

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on May 15, 2007, 12:18:21 AM
Very emotional Fianna FAILure canvasser in the audience on Q & A tonight, he was almost crying and sounded like Kevin Keegan "Id really love to beat them, sob sob"

I wish I hadn't cast my vote, Michael Martin was talking up Sein Fein, I reckon he wants to be the next leader of Fianna FAIL and try and get a coalition with Sein Fein. Unfortunatly for them both they will be in opposition.

He was very emotional alright, I thought that Paudge Connolly the Monaghan/Cavan Hospital candidate came across very well. In relation to Martin, he was a terrible minister for health, and now he is minister for enterprise and his own consitituncey is losing jobs like a leaky bucket over the last 12 months. He is a bloody useless minister, but the one thing he can do is argue the point very well. Thought Dick Bruton came across very poorly and did anyone notice Gormley forgetting Brendan Howlin's name?

PS: Watched the first half of Copper & Hobbs talking to C O'C of SF on TV3 last night. At one point Hobbs asked him how was he going to pay for the extra beds in the health service "Are you going to rob a bank" Even I thought that was a bit much, given that he is an elected representative.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Tbc....

Louth Exile

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 15, 2007, 10:41:21 AM
Did Martin not introduce the smoking ban?

No problem, we'll give him that, but he did nothing for waiting lists or the crisis in A&E

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Louth Exile on May 15, 2007, 10:52:59 AM

No problem, we'll give him that, but he did nothing for waiting lists or the crisis in A&E

Agreed, but the health service has been underfunded for years, up grading and improvements to the services have also been neglected for years (the same thing is happening to the NHS) I think that quite a few health ministers in the past would have to hold their hands up on that one.

Tbc....

Louth Exile

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 15, 2007, 10:58:03 AM

Agreed, but the health service has been underfunded for years, up grading and improvements to the services have also been neglected for years (the same thing is happening to the NHS) I think that quite a few health ministers in the past would have to hold their hands up on that one.

I feel that they are actually putting very significant funds into the health service. They are just not getting any bang for their buck! Reforming the health boards into the HSE seemed like a good idea, it hasn't worked out that way. There are far too many managers, no successfull company in the private sector is run with the same ineptness as the health service is.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Louth Exile on May 15, 2007, 11:07:11 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 15, 2007, 10:58:03 AM

I feel that they are actually putting very significant funds into the health service. They are just not getting any bang for their buck! Reforming the health boards into the HSE seemed like a good idea, it hasn't worked out that way. There are far too many managers, no successfull company in the private sector is run with the same ineptness as the health service is.

The NHS is run similarly with far too many managers and consultants and not enough real workers!!!

Tbc....