Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 03, 2016, 05:59:57 PM
Quote from: Thy Kingdom Come on August 03, 2016, 03:27:17 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 03, 2016, 03:18:46 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 03, 2016, 03:06:02 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on August 03, 2016, 02:30:12 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 03, 2016, 02:15:48 PM
Kerry and Mayo fans getting a bit ratty at the prospect of Tyrone joining them at the big table and possibly usurping them when it comes to taking Dublin.

I don't think so - seems to be 90% Tyronies in this thread, very little cockiness in Mayo about this one.

The Mayo crowd are fierce quiet alright.
They are that cocky they don't even think it's worth talking about.
The result is a foregone conclusion.
Which is pretty disrespectful to Tyrone if you ask me.
I think it is a very sophisticated strategy. They get the Tyrone to do all the talking. Then when they win the match they will all go ha ha ha.

Waiting in the Long Grass!   ;)

Aiden won possession in midfield, stuck his head down and started to run, Matty Donnelly opened the gates to Croke Park and this is where Aiden ended up!

He has always reminded me a bit of a limonsin bullock

sensethetone

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 03, 2016, 08:51:51 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 03, 2016, 05:59:57 PM
Kerry and Mayo fans getting a bit ratty at the prospect of Tyrone joining them at the big table and possibly usurping them when it comes to taking Dublin.

I don't think so - seems to be 90% Tyronies in this thread, very little cockiness in Mayo about this one.

I think it is a very sophisticated strategy. They get the Tyrone to do all the talking. Then when they win the match they will all go ha ha ha.

Aiden won possession in midfield, stuck his head down and started to run, Matty Donnelly opened the gates to Croke Park and this is where Aiden ended up!

He has always reminded me a bit of a limonsin bullock
Cos a bullock has no balls??

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

north down

Have 2 spare tickets for Saturday's football quarter finals if anyone is interested. Lower Hogan Section 324. Seats are together. Available for face value.

Il Bomber Destro

The match ups will be interesting Sunday, would suspect Rory  Brennan on Diarmuid O'Connor, McCarron to pick up Aidan O'Shea, McNamee on Cillian O'Connor.

From the Mayo side I probably expect Higgins on Harte, I'm not sure who they have to put on Cavanagh though, possibly someone like Vaughan? The key for us will be getting the open space for our inside forwards, if O'Neill/McCurry/McAliskey can get the ball in space there they can do serious damage to a suspect looking Mayo full back line.

Two contrasting styles in that when Tyrone lose the ball up the pitch they all look to retreat back to their own half whereas Mayo like their forwards to press the ball carrier and give fouls away in the opposition half with the hip grabs and little jersey tugs, allowing them to commit men forward but they are quite good at cynically stopping the counters.

Mayo's ability to dominate the midfield has been the base for their success in recent years but they seem in a bit of bother there this year through injury and form. I think Tyrone have improved greatly there this year and I hope we are willing to vary it and go long if Mayo target our kickouts. Too many times in the recent past have we seen keepers muck it up with short kickouts. It cost us v Kerry last year.

It will be interesting to see our bench tonight. Meyler looks like he will miss out but I wonder if Richie Donnelly, Joe McMahon and Lee Brennan will return to the 26.

supersarsfields

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 04, 2016, 08:49:27 AM
The match ups will be interesting Sunday, would suspect Rory  Brennan on Diarmuid O'Connor, McCarron to pick up Aidan O'Shea, McNamee on Cillian O'Connor.

From the Mayo side I probably expect Higgins on Harte, I'm not sure who they have to put on Cavanagh though, possibly someone like Vaughan? The key for us will be getting the open space for our inside forwards, if O'Neill/McCurry/McAliskey can get the ball in space there they can do serious damage to a suspect looking Mayo full back line.

Two contrasting styles in that when Tyrone lose the ball up the pitch they all look to retreat back to their own half whereas Mayo like their forwards to press the ball carrier and give fouls away in the opposition half with the hip grabs and little jersey tugs, allowing them to commit men forward but they are quite good at cynically stopping the counters.

Mayo's ability to dominate the midfield has been the base for their success in recent years but they seem in a bit of bother there this year through injury and form. I think Tyrone have improved greatly there this year and I hope we are willing to vary it and go long if Mayo target our kickouts. Too many times in the recent past have we seen keepers muck it up with short kickouts. It cost us v Kerry last year.

It will be interesting to see our bench tonight. Meyler looks like he will miss out but I wonder if Richie Donnelly, Joe McMahon and Lee Brennan will return to the 26.

Croke park is full of it apparently

omagh_gael

Martin Breheny makes an interesting observation in the independent about our lack of goal scoring over the last number of years in Croke Park:

Martin Breheny
04/08/2016 | 02:30

If the adage that 'goals win games' applies to Mayo v Tyrone on Saturday, Stephen Rochford's squad are poised to qualify for a fifth successive All-Ireland semi-final.

For while Tyrone hit Derry for three goals and Cavan for five in this year's Ulster's campaign, their return in big Croke Park in the closing stages of the championship has been very meagre since winning the 2008 All-Ireland title.

They have scored only one goal (Peter Harte against Kerry last year) in their last eight All-Ireland quarter-finals and semi-finals.

They failed to find the net in their last five quarter-finals, leaving Davy Harte (v Dublin in 2008) as their last goalscorer at this stage of the championship.

Tyrone fans are well aware of our lack of killer instinct in front of goal in recent times but the facts laid bare make stark reading. However, there appears to have been a major focus recently on going for goal and we'll need one or two on Saturday if we're to beat these green and red bucks.

BennyHarp

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 04, 2016, 11:08:21 AM
Martin Breheny makes an interesting observation in the independent about our lack of goal scoring over the last number of years in Croke Park:

Martin Breheny

If the adage that 'goals win games' applies to Mayo v Tyrone on Saturday, Stephen Rochford's squad are poised to qualify for a fifth successive All-Ireland semi-final.

For while Tyrone hit Derry for three goals and Cavan for five in this year's Ulster's campaign, their return in big Croke Park in the closing stages of the championship has been very meagre since winning the 2008 All-Ireland title.

They have scored only one goal (Peter Harte against Kerry last year) in their last eight All-Ireland quarter-finals and semi-finals.

They failed to find the net in their last five quarter-finals, leaving Davy Harte (v Dublin in 2008) as their last goalscorer at this stage of the championship.

Tyrone fans are well aware of our lack of killer instinct in front of goal in recent times but the facts laid bare make stark reading. However, there appears to have been a major focus recently on going for goal and we'll need one or two on Saturday if we're to beat these green and red bucks.

I think this is something Tyrone have clearly been working on.
That was never a square ball!!

Tubberman

Don't worry lads - conceding goals is one of main consistencies.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

redhandefender

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 04, 2016, 11:08:21 AM

Martin Breheny

The previous years don't matter, this is a new team. Harte identified that and has clearly addressed it. All that matters Sunday is whether they can hit form and continue to progress. If they do that then they will win unless Mayo produce something we have not seen at all this year which is entirely possible also. Martin needs stories to write

heffo

Tyrone have returned 1,000 Hill tickets this morning

Zulu

This is undoubtedly a tough game to call and the rumours of unrest in the Mayo camp (and their on field performances) means we don't really know where they are now. In saying that, they are one of Irelands most consistent teams and have a wealth of experience at the business end of the championship.

If Mayo haven't set the world alight this year then Tyrone also won the worst Ulster championship of recent memory so how good are they? If Mayo are still one of the top three teams in the country then I think they'll win, if they've fallen back into the pack a bit then Tyrone, a team on the up, will confirm a new order. I think Mayo are still a top 3 team so will give them a hesitant nod. Tyrone are on the way back though and if they don't get to an All Ireland this year it isn't far away.

seafoid

Mayo have been focused on the next 2 months since Rochford took over. They haven't shown anything so far but that would be a very thin reed against which to lean for Tyrone.

ONeill

So Eoin Liston says Mayo are definitely beating Tyrone. Mayo will be favourites before throw in. Can't see us winning this.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

SkillfulBill

Quote from: heffo on August 04, 2016, 12:23:40 PM
Tyrone have returned 1,000 Hill tickets this morning

I suspect they are being replaced by stand tickets out of Dublin.