Liveline meltdown

Started by Shamrock Shore, May 01, 2007, 03:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donagh

Quote from: Silky on May 01, 2007, 09:57:33 PM
Quote from: Donagh on May 01, 2007, 04:24:25 PM
Heard a bit of it myself. Paul Williams is a poor excuse for a journalist working for an even poorer excuse for a newspaper.
Phone Connolly House quick Donagh! I think you'll find that's no longer SF policy.

When Williams and his rag stop inventing stories and ruining peoples reputations on the back of tip-offs from the likes of "Fatpuss" maybe then I'll change my opinion. Until then in my book he's a guttersnipe of the worse order. Do I really need to remind people of the journalist 'standards' that rag adheres to?

stephenite

Who's reputation was ruined By Williams? 

Donagh

Quote from: stephenite on May 02, 2007, 01:50:07 AM
Who's reputation was ruined By Williams? 
I was thinking more of the paper itself but from your own part of the world I can think of Williams doing a job on Mark Garavan and the other protestors, yet I doubt you'll ever hear him say that his boss is also the owner of an offshore gas exploration company. Personally I'm still waiting on the Williams expose on his mucker at the Sunday World with a colourful history involving bank robberies and currency counterfeiting on behalf of the Stickies and North Korea. 

--------------
--------------

Media Commentary: On Friday 24 November, 2000 a barrister, appearing for The Sunday World and its crime correspondent, Paul Williams, read an apology to the High Court and acknowledged that allegations made by Williams about Martin Hyland were "absolutely false" – this is the alleged criminal who was murdered last Tuesday, 12 December. By Vincent Browne.

The newspaper paid what were said to have been "substantive damages" to Martin Hyland in compensation, arising out of articles about him published in the Sunday World of 17 November, 1996, and 16 March, 1997. The allegations included claims that Hyland had been involved in the murder of Michael Brady, his (Hyland's) brother-in-law, and was one of the emerging "drug godfathers of Dublin". In other words, Paul Williams was unable to advance proof of what he had alleged about Martin Hyland. Passing reference is made in the lengthy piece in the Sunday World of 17 December on Martin Hyland's murder on 12 December, to that 2000 libel action, dismissing the failure of the newspaper and its crime reporter to produce evidence to substantiate its claims: "He used the defamation laws to silence us".

Paul Williams goes on in the Sunday World of 17 December 2006, to make a series of further claims about Martin Hyland, again without offering any back up evidence or substantiation, this time in the knowledge he is immune from another libel action because Martin Hyland is dead.It is evident Williams received most, probably all, of the information on which he  based his article of 17 December 2006 from the very same sources he based his 1996 and 1997 articles which were acknowledged to be "absolutely false" – ie garda sources. Williams claims, without attribution, that Hyland had an involvement in the murder of the Latvian woman, Baiba Saulite, in Swords in November; that Hyland was involved in a plot to murder him (Paul Williams) in 2003 (again no attribution, no evidence,  no sources); that Hyland attacked the homes of Gardai; that he was involved with another major criminal PJ Judge; that he was responsible for the murder of his brother-in-law, Michael Brady, who had been convicted of the murder of his (Hyland's) sister – this is one of the allegations stated on his (Williams'') behalf in 2002 to have been "absolutely false".

But he goes on to make some very serious political points: that Hyland was in league with the IRA and Sinn Fein, that he was providing money to Sinn Fein for election purposes; and that Sinn Fein in its anti-drugs campaign had pointedly avoided any confrontation with him (Hyland) – the inference being because Hyland was funding Sinn Fein from his drug dealings proceeds.

If these claims are true they are of very considerable political and public significance. But Williams produces not a smidgen of substation for these claims, not even an attribution, although it is evident he got the information from Garda sources, who are not prepared to come up front with the allegations.He says "Gardai now know that Anthony Campbell (the innocent plumber murdered in the same incident) was shot just before the killers left the scene" and after Hyland was murdered.

Williams is beyond reporting what Gardai tell him, he is also to reveal what they "know". And the explanation for this unlikely claim is that had the killer(s) murdered the innocent plumber first, they would have alerted Hyland who was asleep in bed upstairs. No explanation for Anthony Campbell's failure to run for his life once he heard Hyland being shot upstairs.The Garda sources of Paul Williams will have reason to be grateful, not just for the faithful relaying of their claimed suspects concerning Martin Hyland, but also because of that commentary pieces which states: "The overreaction of the government in the wake of scandals such as Donegal, has resulted in the scales of justice being titled in favour of the thugs who are terrorising the ordinary people of Ireland. .... The politicians and the mandarins in the Department of Justice seem hell bent on taking away the powers of the police. They want to turn the Gardai into a version of the Police Service of Northern Ireland, the most ineffective police force in the world....,"Bertie Ahern in his efforts to assuage the likes of Gerry Adams has discreetly ensured that certain criminal activities of the Shinners are ignored by the police (again no substantiation)".   

Shamrock Shore

Paul Williams back on now rehashing yesterday's dog's dinner.

Donagh

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 02, 2007, 01:51:38 PM
Paul Williams back on now rehashing yesterday's dog's dinner.

The supreme self-publicist on Turbity now. 

armaghniac

I'd say yer man who rang up Liveline isn't too popular with his fellow residents, as they now  seem to be searching the place and finding all sorts of stuff including a budgie!

A live budgie has reportedly been recovered by prison officers during a massive search for smuggled goods in maximum-security Portlaoise Prison.

Reports this morning say inmates were locked up in their cells yesterday while a huge sweep was carried out in two particular areas of the jail.

The search targeted the landing that houses gangland figures from Dublin and Limerick, as well as dissident republicans.

Eight mobile phones were found, as were three SIM cards, 150 tablets (including ecstasy), a quantity of powdered drugs, a large amount of home-made alcohol and 30 syringes.

This morning's reports say the budgie is believed to have been smuggled into the prison by a female visitor who concealed the bird internally in her body.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

full back

Quote from: armaghniac on May 09, 2007, 02:50:32 PM
This morning's reports say the budgie is believed to have been smuggled into the prison by a female visitor who concealed the bird internally in her body.[/i]

Mmmmmm - there would be a lovely smell of that alright

Lecale2

Quote from: full back on May 09, 2007, 03:00:22 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 09, 2007, 02:50:32 PM
This morning's reports say the budgie is believed to have been smuggled into the prison by a female visitor who concealed the bird internally in her body.[/i]

Mmmmmm - there would be a lovely smell of that alright
Was it alive ? or had it been regurgitated?

Kerry Mike

They have also "found" 3 flat screen TV's and an DVD player in the laterst swoop, how you could smuggle in a TV beggars belief and how can you hide such a thing in your cell.

Seems Gilligan had one of the flat TV's in his cell.

The whole prison system stinks, from the garda killers having the run of Castlerea to the gangsters, thugs and drug barons running Portlaoise and other jails.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Kerry Mike

From the Indo:

GANGLAND boss John Gilligan has demanded the return of a plasma wide screen TV set, which was seized from his cell during a two-day search of the maximum security Portlaoise jail.

It was one of three wide screen sets and a DVD player included in a substantial haul of contraband recovered by staff during the searches.

A review of security at the jail has been widened to establish how the prisoners had possession of the goods.

Last night staff at the jail were insisting they were not complicit in the smuggling of any TV sets or other goods into the jail.

And the Irish Prison Service said it did not sanction any local arrangements which allowed prisoners to purchase items such as flat screen TVs, or to keep pets.

Inmates are allowed to keep small portable TVs in their cells but there are no arrangements officially for wide screen sets.

Gilligan, who is serving a 20-year sentence for drug trafficking, is understood to have been furious after the TV was taken out of his cell.

=======================

I bet he was furious, I would be too if someone took my "plasma wide screen TV", thats if I had a "plasma wide screen TV". I'd say your man Daly will be watching his back after this shakedown.
Its a complete joke of a setup. The criminals are running the country.

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football