S.P.O.T.Y 2011 - Anyone give a **** this year ?

Started by Hoof Hearted, December 15, 2010, 11:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isourboydownyet

Quote from: Sea The Stars on December 23, 2010, 01:48:53 PM
Quote from: maximus on December 23, 2010, 01:43:30 PM
Just Drive - Alistair Griffin was played during some of sports personality nominees don't know if that's the one your on about.

Cheers but not that one. There's no lyrics in it, think its what you might call an "epic" song.

i think that tune was used in a episode of top gear where clarkson was driving the new aston and the program ended with this piece of music in the back ground,would love to know what it is.

isourboydownyet

Quote from: Sea The Stars on December 23, 2010, 01:26:40 PM
Does anyone know the name of the song that was played during the Airticity League review last night?

BBC also played the same song when welcoming the Sports Personalities nominees on stage last Sunday?

i found it,is this the tune
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXnxhsFziYI

Archie Mitchell

Brian Eno - An Ending (Ascent)

deiseach

Quote from: thebigfella on December 23, 2010, 02:26:59 PM
Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on December 22, 2010, 11:35:08 PM
I remember complaining a few years ago because rte made a big deal about Munster game being most watched sports programme of the year (even though the All Ireland finals had bigger average audiences) - something they didnt normally do. It was interesting to note they don't announce the most watched show when its not rugby. As far as I know it was the hurling.

FFS you have little to be doing with your time complaining about that ::)

TD isn't saying they phoned Joe Duffy (at least I don't think they are). The mandarins in RTÉ are the types who would deny point blank any bias towards rugby in their coverage, so it's handy to see cases like this where that bias is obvious. In fairness to RTÉ, rugby types are the demographic most beloved by advertisers, so it makes sense for them to talk up coverage of the game. But it'd be nice if they were honest about it.

Sea The Stars

Quote from: isourboydownyet on December 23, 2010, 03:14:31 PM
Does anyone know the name of the song that was played during the Airticity League review last night?

BBC also played the same song when welcoming the Sports Personalities nominees on stage last Sunday?

No thats not the one I am thinking of, I'm afraid.

The Sports Personality programme is available on RTE player (on the RTE website). Around 15 minutes in, the Airtricity League highlights start and its the song playing in the background then.

isourboydownyet

Quote from: Sea The Stars on December 23, 2010, 04:42:51 PM

The Sports Personality programme is available on RTE player (on the RTE website). Around 15 minutes in, the Airtricity League highlights start and its the song playing in the background then.

ah sorry us brits up north thought you meant the bbc version

Sea The Stars

Quote from: isourboydownyet on December 23, 2010, 05:02:23 PM
Quote from: Sea The Stars on December 23, 2010, 04:42:51 PM

ah sorry us brits up north thought you meant the bbc version

The same song, I'm sure, was played when Sue Barker and Gary Lineker were welcoming the contenders on stage at the opening of the BBC's programme.

deiseach

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on December 21, 2010, 09:48:44 PM
McCoy thrives on the day to day grind of riding winners. A six hour drive up the motorway in the middle of January to boot home some yack in a sh1tty race at Carlisle or Hexham is manna from heaven to McCoy.

Good one!

You are joking, right?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: deiseach on December 24, 2010, 09:07:03 AM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on December 21, 2010, 09:48:44 PM
McCoy thrives on the day to day grind of riding winners. A six hour drive up the motorway in the middle of January to boot home some yack in a sh1tty race at Carlisle or Hexham is manna from heaven to McCoy.

Good one!

You are joking, right?

Deadly serious. Like Dunwoody before him, it's the championship and not the big races that drives the man. He's already said that the day he's not champion is the day he retires.

McCoy could have any job in racing if he wanted (apart from Nicholls and Mullins where Walsh is the main man). McManus has few Grade 1 horses apart from Binocular and Captain Cee Bee. The rest are mostly moderate but he is the biggest owner in the UK and Ireland so there's a ready supply of winners there for McCoy if he's content to miss out on a lot of the bigger races. The likes of Walsh and Geraghty will ride more big race winners but I couldn't see either taking the McManus retainer. They aren't interested in basing themselves in the UK and having a shot at the championship when there's big races to be won either side of the Irish Sea.

Perfect example would be the 15 December just gone. Fairyhouse staged one of the best cards ever held in Ireland with four Grade 1s, a Grade 2 and a Grade 3. McManus had a few runners on the card but they were mostly outsiders - Kempes, Head Of The Posse, Jered. McCoy would have easily picked up some decent spares in the other races though. He decided instead to go to a poor card at Bangor where he was be riding far lesser horses, but he had a far greater chance of a winner. He rode one winner over that card - a horse called Backspin in a novices hurdle worth £3,500 to the winner. He would have earned an awful lot more from riding a few horses to finish midfield at Fairyhouse but it's the lure of a winner that motivates the man.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

deiseach

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on December 24, 2010, 02:56:12 PM
Perfect example would be the 15 December just gone. Fairyhouse staged one of the best cards ever held in Ireland with four Grade 1s, a Grade 2 and a Grade 3. McManus had a few runners on the card but they were mostly outsiders - Kempes, Head Of The Posse, Jered. McCoy would have easily picked up some decent spares in the other races though. He decided instead to go to a poor card at Bangor where he was be riding far lesser horses, but he had a far greater chance of a winner. He rode one winner over that card - a horse called Backspin in a novices hurdle worth £3,500 to the winner. He would have earned an awful lot more from riding a few horses to finish midfield at Fairyhouse but it's the lure of a winner that motivates the man.

Interesting insight into an interesting man. Much obliged.

leaveherinsir

Quote from: deiseach on December 24, 2010, 03:09:31 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on December 24, 2010, 02:56:12 PM
I dont wish to denigrate McCoy, he is obviously an extremely driven individual and a talented sportsman, but i would have thought he would want to ride the winners in the big races. Could he not try and use his skills to drag one of the outsiders to a win? Going back to the title of this thread, this would be like McDowell missing out on one of the golfing majors to play in something like the Irish PGA tournament, because he had a better chance of winning. Maybe this is an unfair comparison, but im not a horse racing expert by any means, or a golfing one either for that matter
Interesting insight into an interesting man. Much obliged.

sammymaguire

DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

LilySavage

Fair play to them both.

LilySavage

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on December 16, 2010, 12:23:53 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on December 16, 2010, 12:17:53 PM
His ride on Witchita Lineman at Cheltenham in March is worthy of the award by itself.

That was 2009. WL died at Fairyhouse that April.

The ride on Drill Sergeant at Haydock back in October was pretty decent!:

How WLwas entered into an Irish National after being beaten around Cheltenham a few weeks before was a very bad and ultimately cruel decision. A horrible end for the horse. Should have been rested up for the year.