Tom Elliott new UUP Leader

Started by Dougal Maguire, September 22, 2010, 11:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

Seems the UUP has once again pushed the self destruct button.

' The Ulster Unionist Party has picked Tom Elliott as its new leader.

Mr Elliott, 46, who represents Fermanagh and South Tyrone, saw off the challenge of Lagan Valley MLA Basil McCrea by 643 votes to 294.

Sir Reg Empey had announced he would quit as Ulster Unionist leader in the aftermath of a disastrous general election which left it with no MPs.

Many of the party's senior figures, including all but one of its MLAs, had declared their backing for Mr Elliott.

Mr Elliott said his party needed to be united and build ahead of next year's assembly elections.

"What I want for the Ulster Unionist Party is the very same thing I want for Northern Ireland; I want people with a settled mindset to live in comfort and peace within this province and within the union," he said.

Mr Elliott was seen as the "establishment" candidate, with his background as a senior Orangeman and former UDR soldier, while McCrea had hoped to secure enough votes from rank-and-file members, positioning himself as a moderniser.

In the past decade, the UUP has gone from having 10 MPs to none.

One of the first tasks for Mr Elliott will be healing any rifts within the party.

He will also have to set about winning back voters from the DUP and attracting unionists who no longer vote at all. '
Careful now

GalwayBayBoy

Tom Elliott, a 46-year-old Assembly member for Fermanagh-South Tyrone, has tonight been selected as the new leader of the Ulster Unionist Party. He will succeed Sir Reg Empey.

A traditionalist Ulster Unionist, part-time farmer and former member of the Royal Irish Regiment and Ulster Defence Regiment he defeated the Lagan Valley MLA, 50-year-old Basil McCrea, viewed as a party moderniser.

Over 900 of the 2,000 UUP members entitled to participate in the poll gathered in Belfast's Waterfront hall to vote for the new leader. As UUP members assembled it became quickly apparent that Mr Elliott had the advantage.

He entered the Waterfront conscious that he had the backing of the majority of the party's Assembly members behind him. He also put considerable organisation into his campaign. Five buses ferried many of his supporters to Belfast from Fermanagh and Tyrone this evening.

Mr McCrea, however, had hoped that the majority of rank and file members would rally to his cause. But in the end Mr Elliott won by 643 votes to 294.

While Mr McCrea, who was born in Ramelton, Co Donegal, sought more middle-ground unionist support Mr Elliott played to a conservative base.

He indicated he would not attend a GAA match or gay pride march, and in one radio interview last week pointedly refused to unequivocally offer an opinion as to who he wanted to win the All-Ireland final, Down or Cork.

Sounds like he'd be a gas man on a night out.

red hander

... and the deckchairs are once more rearranged on the Titanic

Orior

Ah bless him.

The UUP had formed working relationships with the PUP, then the Tories. Who's next?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

hairyhog

Quote from: Orior on September 23, 2010, 01:29:32 AM
Ah bless him.

The UUP had formed working relationships with the PUP, then the Tories. Who's next?

SSA-Social Security Agency?(jobseekers)

deiseach

At least he spared us any guff about reaching out to non-unionists on bread and butter issues. The only issue is the Union

BarryBreensBandage

Trevor Ringland was on the Nolan show this morning, Radio Ulster - he was disgusted with the fact that Elliott, in one of his first interviews as party leader said that he had no intention of, or wouldn't even consider attending Croke Park if an Ulster team reached the final next year.

Ringland thoughts his stance on the GAA was disgraceful, stating that he can get his hands on two tickets for next years final through his contacts.
He wants Elliott to confirm over the next two days that he will agree to go to the final next year, as a show of the party moving on.
If not, Ringland is leaving the UUP.

"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Minder

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on September 23, 2010, 01:37:53 PM
Trevor Ringland was on the Nolan show this morning, Radio Ulster - he was disgusted with the fact that Elliott, in one of his first interviews as party leader said that he had no intention of, or wouldn't even consider attending Croke Park if an Ulster team reached the final next year.

Ringland thoughts his stance on the GAA was disgraceful, stating that he can get his hands on two tickets for next years final through his contacts.
He wants Elliott to confirm over the next two days that he will agree to go to the final next year, as a show of the party moving on.

Think the two tickets would be better In the hands of a "true Gael" than some Unionist politician trying to gain ground with the more moderate voters.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Boycey

Quote from: Minder on September 23, 2010, 01:54:04 PM

Think the two tickets would be better In the hands of a "true Gael" than some Unionist politician trying to gain ground with the more moderate voters.

Define a "true gael" please

brokencrossbar1

ringland is a regular attendee at GAA matches both in Croke Park and elsewhere.  He may make political kudos out of it sometime but he was going to games before he was a member of the UUP.  He is friends with people I know who would be republicans albeit it moderate, and he has been going to Croke Park with them for years.  If people would listen to th elike of him more often there would be less shite holding us back.

Minder

Quote from: Boycey on September 23, 2010, 02:10:22 PM

Define a "true gael" please

It was a nod to the obsession people have lately on "true Gaels",hence the quotation marks. I would like it explained too
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

sammymaguire

DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

liihb

This is my favourite part of the story

"During the leadership campaign he sought to win grassroots backing by telling supporters he would never attend a GAA event or a gay pride event"

A lot more in common with the pink parade than we thought!
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 23, 2010, 02:14:21 PM

ringland is a regular attendee at GAA matches both in Croke Park and elsewhere.  He may make political kudos out of it sometime but he was going to games before he was a member of the UUP.  He is friends with people I know who would be republicans albeit it moderate, and he has been going to Croke Park with them for years.  If people would listen to th elike of him more often there would be less shite holding us back.

Well said - it was actually refreshing hearing Ringlands point of view, and he made Lord Ken Maginnis of Gooleywooley sound like a clown.

Here is how BBC NI reported it:

Ulster Unionist Trevor Ringland has said he will leave the party if new leader Tom Elliott does not show a new attitude towards the GAA.

Mr Elliott was elected leader of the party on Wednesday night.

In previous radio interviews he said he had no interest in attending gaelic games.

However, Mr Ringland, who contested East Belfast in May's general election, said Mr Elliott needed to reach out to the nationalist community.

"I would guarantee him that if there is an Ulster team in the all-Ireland final next year I will get him two tickets for that final," the former Irish rugby international said.

"I want to hear him say in the next few days that if I get him those tickets that he will go to that match.

"Because I see people who are reaching out to the unionist community, reaching out to try and build a shared society here and they need encouragement as well

"They need to see and hear a unionism that actually wants to have a relationship with them."

Mr Ringland said if Mr Elliott does not make such a commitment "he's taking the party in a direction I'm not comfortable with".
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Tonto

Disappointed but not surprised.  Would have much preferred Basil McCrea. :-[