Diesel Dippers

Started by offtheground, April 15, 2010, 08:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

what if the car you flash turns out to be a cop car!!  I'd agree with Hardy, whilst it should be impossible to make it stick the guards tend to lie when in the box in the lower courts, the judge accepts his/her evidence and that's that, unless of course you appeal wherein you'd probably get off since it's an odds on shot that the paperwork will have been fcuked up.

Main Street

Quote from: Bogball XV on April 16, 2010, 09:44:40 AM
what if the car you flash turns out to be a cop car!!  I'd agree with Hardy, whilst it should be impossible to make it stick the guards tend to lie when in the box in the lower courts, the judge accepts his/her evidence and that's that, unless of course you appeal wherein you'd probably get off since it's an odds on shot that the paperwork will have been fcuked up.

Surely the court does not have to prove intent if you are nabbed for a road  traffic violation. It is enough for the court/police that you have violated a code.
There must be some road traffic law which relates to illegal use of the high beam or a failure to dip lights and carries a small fine.

saffron sam2

Mickey Mable was his name.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Hereiam

Was stopped one day on my way home from Jordanstown by the dippers. I had about a quater full tank of the jungle juice left and they proceeded to use the sqeezey bottle to try and get some out of the tank. For some reason the bottle wouldn't lift anything, after about 15 minutes of trying they let me go on. I thought I was done for that day but haven't look back since, still runnin on it.

Doogie Browser

20 odd cars were siezed in Donegal on Wednesday alone, mostly due to registration issues.

dec

The governments should simply get rid of red and green diesel and tax all diesel at the same rate.

sammymaguire

the farmers would love that  ;)
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Bogball XV

Quote from: Main Street on April 16, 2010, 12:07:17 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on April 16, 2010, 09:44:40 AM

Surely the court does not have to prove intent if you are nabbed for a road  traffic violation. It is enough for the court/police that you have violated a code.
There must be some road traffic law which relates to illegal use of the high beam or a failure to dip lights and carries a small fine.
but this probably wouldn't be a road traffic violation, it's more akin to aiding and abetting or something like that.  Re the use of the high beam etc, it's not illegal in any way and is actually encouraged on safety grounds (now there's something they should be pulling more people up on, those eejits who persist on driving with no lights on when visibility is below par, and they're normally in silver cars  ???).

ballela-angel

Folks, great thread – As I mentioned before I live in the States now and I believe a case came up here a few years ago regarding the light-flashing and warning folks of police checks – As far as I know the individual got off as he was “exercising his free-speech rights” – Good luck with that one in the North at least
As regards the dodgy diesel – When I was a wee lad in Violet Hill (Newry) a boyo from near Rathfriland and I realized that we could make our fortune as teenagers if we could get the red dye out of agricultural diesel  and turn it clear like regular taxed diesel without changing its chemical make-up. With a little help from a chemistry teacher (since deceased) we were able to do so, but the process was extremely slow and not viable on a large scale.
Also on the subject of diesel, the first time I heard the expression “Now we’re sucking diesel” as in – “Now we’re going great guns” came from a very good friend of mine who was involved in the Civil Rights, became a well respected barrister, player for Armagh and was a native of South Armagh. I always chuckled at the connection between the expression and his home area.  Maybe there was some experience of it in his area?
;)
That awkward moment - Not sure if you do have free time or if you're just forgetting everything!

Main Street

I'd guess the origin of the term suckin' diesel came from some people of ill repute and deed who ventured out after dark with a few large jerry cans and a tube, intent on relieving good folk of their honest bought fuel reserves from their cars. After a few ill fated attempts, some which ended in sucking horrible toxic petrol and spitting it out, they finally get a car with diesel in the tank. One turns around to his accomplice and says with a fuel soaked grin, 'now we're suckin' diesel'.

EC Unique

Quote from: J70 on April 16, 2010, 12:05:53 AM
Quote from: maximus on April 16, 2010, 12:02:01 AM
That's a bit harsh does no harm to help others out in these difficult economic times! I'm sure many on here have been helped by someone flashing the lights

No question, but what is the point in having a police force out on the roads then? They're out there to protect the public. If someone gets pulled over and fined for some violation, he'll think twice about doing it again. Might just save a life or prevent an injury too.

Not where I'm from J70. As far as I can see they are out to gain revenue for HM government. Speed traps on straight main roads where if you are doing 72 in a 60 you are caught where as you could fly past a country primary school at 60 in a 30 all day and never get caught. Where is a fatal accident more likely? Where are the most fines more likely......

f**k them. >:(

sheelinside

dec

Re: Diesel Dippers
« Reply #52 on: Today at 02:41:16 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The governments should simply get rid of red and green diesel and tax all diesel at the same rate.

i know in australia the price is the same, then its up to the indivual/company to claim back in tax returns any diesel used for agricultural purposes- not sure how much they can claim.
doesn't seem a bad idea

haranguerer

They did talk about doing that, but i doubt they'll bother. While NI is rural and theres plenty of access to agricultural diesel, its the exception throughout the UK, it'd just raise a lot of hackles for not much benefit, not to mention the extra expense of claims. Thats on top of the fact that lads would claim for every receipt they got their hands on, and it'd be difficult to prove they hadnt used it for legitimate farming purposes. Would cost more in the long run.

Main street - petrol doesnt taste much worse than diesel. In the era you seem to be harkin to, the vast majority of cars would have been petrol anyway. I've always assumed it comes from getting a hard-to-start tractor, going.... ;)

Main Street

Is it an urban myth that dodgy diesel harms some engines?

theskull1

No

Used to be the likes of a 305 Pug would have run on anything you gave it, but todays injection systems along with the high pressure fuel pumps are alot more fussy. If theres not enough lubrication in the fuel, the fuel pump(s) will fail early and dirt/water in the mix will trouble for the injectors

Both parts are a clean fortune.

Note (Red Diesel is not "dodgy diesel")
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera