Players grants to be axed - when will the strike start?

Started by stephenite, June 17, 2009, 07:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

From the Indo

By Donnchadh Boyle

Wednesday June 17 2009

THE Gaelic Players Association (GPA) are considering their next move after the funding scheme for inter-county players was axed last night.

The GPA stressed they had yet to receive any official notification of the cut, but stated it would represent an 'abandonment' of inter-county players by the Government and the GAA.

The scheme was approved in 2007 but only after the GPA was given a mandate to withdraw services from all competitions, which prompts speculation as to what their next move will be.

It also puts the GPA on a collision course with Croke Park. Relations between the two groups had been cordial and official recognition talks for the players' body were believed to be progressing well but this latest development could drive a wedge between the organisations and will provide the first major test of Christy Cooney's presidency.

"The scheme gave inter-county players some much-needed revenue and status, and that status would be removed if the scheme is cut," the GPA said in a statement to the Irish Independent.

"It would be very serious for inter-county players. GAA players are elite sportspeople. There is no escaping that inter-county hurlers and footballers have been singled out here."

- Donnchadh Boyle

My own tuppence worth is that it was always inevitable that we would arrive at this juncture, the financial crisis has just bought it to a head sooner than expected. The GAA were adamant at the time that the money would have to be funded by the Irish Sports Council and they would make no payments, I was adamant at the time that when these payments ceased the GPA would put their hand out to the GAA looking for the association to make up the shortfall - I hope they prove me wrong and stick to their stance in respecting the amatuer ethos of the association.

While I was initally against the payments at first, I did soften my stance and if the government or anyone else (bar the GAA) want to pay the money than I have no problem with it, if the GAA part with even 1 euro towards players grants I would be against it.

orangeman

The "grant" will be called something else and will be paid for by Croke Park.

I feel sorry for the players who are losing out on a much needed source of income especially when some of them are out of work etc etc.

I also feel for some of the clubs who are losing out as some IC players were handing the cheques into the clubs.

A Quinn Martin Production

Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Quote from: Gnevin on June 17, 2009, 09:21:40 AM
Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on June 17, 2009, 09:16:27 AM
You live by the sword...

In what way are they living by the sword?

... you die by the sword.  Aimed at the GPA rather than players

You can't whinge like feck for a slice of the pie in the good times, then whinge like feck when the pie is all eaten.  Dessie sounds a bit malcontent.

rrhf

If the nation cant afford it the nation cant afford it.  I never felt it could be afforded. 

stephenite

Quote from: rrhf on June 17, 2009, 09:42:46 AM
If the nation cant afford it the nation cant afford it.  I never felt it could be afforded. 

If the nation can't afford it - the GAA can't afford it.

Gnevin

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on June 17, 2009, 09:32:03 AM
Quote from: Gnevin on June 17, 2009, 09:21:40 AM
Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on June 17, 2009, 09:16:27 AM
You live by the sword...

In what way are they living by the sword?

... you die by the sword.  Aimed at the GPA rather than players

You can't whinge like feck for a slice of the pie in the good times, then whinge like feck when the pie is all eaten.  Dessie sounds a bit malcontent.

I know the expression I just can't see how it applies here . The GAA generates far more money for the economy that these grants cost. Look at all the money the greyhounds get off the government where are the cut backs there?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

tyronefan

it was never any thing to do with the gaa

it was the government giving grants to amateur sports people the same as they do in all other sports in Ireland

Zulu

As Gnevin says why isn't the horse and dog racing industry getting hit, they get far more from the exchequer than GAA players or what about the tax benefits that professional sports people like the rugby players get, why isn't that looked at first? While I supported the grants at the time, Dessie came out and clearly stated they wouldn't look to the GAA to pay the grants in the event of the government ever withdrawing them and I expect the GPA to stand by their word in this regard.

Is it the entire elite athlete scheme that is being cut or only the bit that applies to GAA players??

stephenite

Quote from: Zulu on June 17, 2009, 10:28:25 AM
As Gnevin says why isn't the horse and dog racing industry getting hit, they get far more from the exchequer than GAA players or what about the tax benefits that professional sports people like the rugby players get, why isn't that looked at first? While I supported the grants at the time, Dessie came out and clearly stated they wouldn't look to the GAA to pay the grants in the event of the government ever withdrawing them and I expect the GPA to stand by their word in this regard.

Fair points Zulu and Gnevin, and if it is just GAA players getting hit than I feel that's out of order.

INDIANA

The 40% tax relief for professional sportspeople is also being axed. This will have a massive impact on professional rugby in particular. So its not just the Gaa.
The tax relief on stud fees/greyhound fees etc ended last July. So again that will hit those industries.
In relation to the grants awarded to these industries , Fianna Fail has  love affair with these industries.

stephenite

Quote from: INDIANA on June 17, 2009, 10:37:16 AM
The 40% tax relief for professional sportspeople is also being axed. This will have a massive impact on professional rugby in particular. So its not just the Gaa.
The tax relief on stud fees/greyhound fees etc ended last July. So again that will hit those industries.
In relation to the grants awarded to these industries , Fianna Fail has  love affair with these industries.
Read the newspapers lads.

Based overseas - don't get a chance to read article online. Cheers Indiana - the tax relief on pro sportspeople is a big indication that the government are targeting the whole range of sportspeople not just GAA players

theskull1

Never agreed with them in the first place but I can't disagree with the points Zulu has made. The concern is though, that the GPA appear to be trying to move the goalposts.

"The GPA stressed they had yet to receive any official notification of the cut, but stated it would represent an 'abandonment' of inter-county players by the Government and the GAA."
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera