Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Hard to go wrong with a Garmin as the lads say. I've the 245, I very rarely listen to music when running so didn't need the music version.
Garmin have just released the new Forerunner 55 which basically has all the features of the older 245 but costs less.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

galwayman

Hi lads.
Would there be much of a difference between the 245 and 645 music versions?
Have seen them both for similar prices.
I currently run with my iPhone using RunKeeper to track the run and spotify for music.
This is working out fine in the main but needing the phone can be a pain.
Trying to decide between these and an Apple Watch. SE is cheaper than series 6 but I read somewhere that the GPS accuracy on the SE vs the 6 is well off.

lurganblue

Quote from: The Corporal on June 17, 2021, 11:11:21 AM
Folks
Don't post on here very often but just looking opinions. Taken up running and cycling since the playing career has recently ended to try and keep in some sort of shape.

Looking to purchase a fitness tracker/smart watch to track runs and cycles etc. Does anyone have any decent experience with these and any recommendations?

Was contemplating an Apple Watch but the battery life just doesn't seem up to scratch for the amount of money they cost. Wouldn't want to buy something that spends more time on the charger than on my wrist. Thinking along the lines of Garmin or Polar but any suggestions would be appreciated

I have the Galaxy Watch Active 2. I realise that the guys here are rightly directing you towards the Garmin's etc as they are highly rated fitness trackers for a reason.

I personally wanted an all day smartwatch that could also track my activities.  I have it paired with strava so no bother there.  I get around 3 days before needing to charge it over night.  I even have a wee golf gps app on it. Suits me well and I would have no complaints after a year's use.

Heart rate etc is on it too, but I doubt it has the same accuracy as some of the others. That wouldn't concern me in the slightest.

laoislad

Quote from: galwayman on June 17, 2021, 12:28:23 PM
Hi lads.
Would there be much of a difference between the 245 and 645 music versions?
Have seen them both for similar prices.
I currently run with my iPhone using RunKeeper to track the run and spotify for music.
This is working out fine in the main but needing the phone can be a pain.
Trying to decide between these and an Apple Watch. SE is cheaper than series 6 but I read somewhere that the GPS accuracy on the SE vs the 6 is well off.
Doubt there's a whole much difference between 245 and 645 music versions tbh. Here's a comparison https://www.wareable.com/garmin/garmin-forerunner-245-music-vs-forerunner-645-music-7328
On the Apple Watch vs Garmin. The Apple Watch is a smart watch that has some running functions, a Garmin is a running watch that has some smart watch functions. If you want a smart watch get the Apple if you want a running watch get the Garmin.

The Corporal

Thanks for all the info gents.

Was just looking there at the Forerunner 645 Music. Argos in the north here have it priced at £200 and the official Garmin website has it priced at £350!! Some difference there.

I currently run using a Free Train vest to hold my phone for tracking activities and for listening to Spotify so the Forerunner 245 or 645 would seem to cater for all of that on your wrist.

CitySlicker11

Quote from: The Corporal on June 17, 2021, 02:16:09 PM

Was just looking there at the Forerunner 645 Music. Argos in the north here have it priced at £200 and the official Garmin website has it priced at £350!! Some difference there.

I currently run using a Free Train vest to hold my phone for tracking activities and for listening to Spotify so the Forerunner 245 or 645 would seem to cater for all of that on your wrist.

What wireless earphones are you currently using?

galwayman

Quote from: CitySlicker11 on June 17, 2021, 02:53:09 PM

I use the Sennheiser CX-Sport wireless earphones. Would recommend them. They also support the AptX low latency codec so you shouldn't have any "lip-sync" issues if you use them to watch videos etc.

The Corporal

Quote from: CitySlicker11 on June 17, 2021, 02:53:09 PM

Have read reviews about bluetooth issues between wireless earphones & the 645 music when running. Is this still the case or have the ironed out those issues over time?

imtommygunn

That's what I use and don't have issues. I have seinheisser something or other. They're Bluetooth but wire between the two earpieces. I thiink they have evolved to no wires at all since.

galwayman

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 17, 2021, 05:44:49 PM
That's what I use and don't have issues. I have seinheisser something or other. They're Bluetooth but wire between the two earpieces. I thiink they have evolved to no wires at all since.
Yeah you can get ones with no wires at all now - they're marketed as "true wireless".

Milltown Row2

Looking at getting this one from Garmin

Garmin Fenix 6 Sapphire, my mates son has one, swears by it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

What is the story with athletics Ireland? Are they a bunch of incompetent fools? (Like a few in athletics ni). I see they have caut dennehy from commentary on the nationals then there is nationals timing, pulling out of European cup and refusing to ratify the Belfast meet so their athletes could have more opportunities to qualify. They really don't seem to be covering themselves in glory these days.

themac_23

Quote from: laoislad on June 17, 2021, 12:20:48 PM
Hard to go wrong with a Garmin as the lads say. I've the 245, I very rarely listen to music when running so didn't need the music version.
Garmin have just released the new Forerunner 55 which basically has all the features of the older 245 but costs less.

Ive the Garmin Solar Instinct, great piece of kit. the battery life is on average 12 days with a full charge, I only use it for running and cardio work then for phonically coming through so dont know how it would stack up if you were looking more out if it for a smart watch. its basic but it hits everything I want it for, think I paid bout £300 for it and its was def worth it.

laoislad

Announcement on if the Dublin Marathon was going ahead was expected today but they've delayed it now until July 15th.

johnnycool

Not being an expert on running, but with a passing interest, the wee girl from South Belfast Eimer McKee is putting up some times for 5K's and her only 12.

https://www.the42.ie/emer-mckee-5km-world-record-12-5421785-Apr2021/

She's in the same school year as my wee girl who commented the other day, that I didn't have to do school sports day with her.  ;D

Hope she keeps that up.