Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Don Johnson on June 12, 2018, 08:57:58 AM
Anyone ever get a speeding ticket abroad? Got a fine sent in the post yesterday from May of last year in France. Lucky I can read French or I wouldn't have had a clue what it meant, they are looking 180E from me or 144E if I pay within 30 days. What do you reckon, ignore it?

Were you in your own yoke or a rental?

I've read that in the case of Italy the fine has to be issued within a year, perhaps something the same exists in France.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Don Johnson

Quote from: armaghniac on June 12, 2018, 10:38:03 AM
Anyone ever get a speeding ticket abroad? Got a fine sent in the post yesterday from May of last year in France. Lucky I can read French or I wouldn't have had a clue what it meant, they are looking 180E from me or 144E if I pay within 30 days. What do you reckon, ignore it?

I've read that in the case of Italy the fine has to be issued within a year, perhaps something the same exists in France.

In a rental. Must look into that year thing, the year had definitely passed anyway.

nrico2006

Quote from: Don Johnson on June 12, 2018, 10:23:23 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on June 12, 2018, 10:08:07 AM
Anybody got any advice/tips on Eurodisney?  Any particular place that is better to stay at?  Go all inclusive or not?  How many nights would you be looking to stay there for with 2 children?

Went last year for two nights before going to a Eurocamp nearby for five nights (La Croix Du Vieux Pont). We ended up rushing round that much in the two nights that we booked on for another two nights on the day we were due to check out. We are going back in December for another four night / five day trip. Think three or four nights is the best but you sometmies get it cheaper booking four than three when they do book 2 for the price of 1 or book 4 for the price of 3.

We stayed in Newport Bay last year and are staying in Sequoia Lodge this year. Both on site Disney hotels about ten minutes walk away from the Village. If you stay on site you get to take advantage of the extra magic hours in the morning so you get in an hour earlier than everyone else not staying on site. Plus it was handy for us with the child still taking a nap in the afternoon to just walk back after lunch. Especially after tiring herself out all morning in the parks.

You could do most of the Studios in a day, then need 2/3 days for the main park easy. Try and fit in as many of the shows as you can, we missed a load the last time so are planning to see them this time.

We got the full board package the last time and it was almost too much food. Buffet breakfast then three course lunch and dinners or buffets for these. Sickens you. This time we are doing half board, planning on getting a decent breakfast then snack or small bite for lunch then a good dinner later. If your child is under 3 as well they are expected to eat off your plate with the meal plan so the buffets are the way to go there, that way they can get as much as they want. We had to pay extra for the buffet breakfast in the hotel last year but this year we booked Sequoia in one of the Forest Lounge rooms or something it's called and the breakfast is included, worked out roughly the same price as Newport Bay last year without the breakfast.

It is expensive to eat and drink in like everyone says but a load of people online advise to bring snack packs in with you, plus there is a shop in the train station at the parks where you can get sandwiches, crisps, drinks a whole lot cheaper than in the actual parks. Also there are a lot of water fountains round the parks, get a couple of bottles and refill as you go on, think the bottles of water in the park were about 4 euros each. f**k paying that all day.

Also sometimes it is worth checking out the different countries versions of the DLP website, they all run varying promotions at the same time so you could save by booking through them. I only found this out this year and booked a cheaper deal using the French site. Was only about £40 but that is better in my pocket than Mickey's.

Thanks for the advice.  Who did you book it through and what way do ride/show admissions work (passes etc?)?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Don Johnson

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 12, 2018, 10:43:28 AM
Anybody got any advice/tips on Eurodisney?  Any particular place that is better to stay at?  Go all inclusive or not?  How many nights would you be looking to stay there for with 2 children?

Went last year for two nights before going to a Eurocamp nearby for five nights (La Croix Du Vieux Pont). We ended up rushing round that much in the two nights that we booked on for another two nights on the day we were due to check out. We are going back in December for another four night / five day trip. Think three or four nights is the best but you sometmies get it cheaper booking four than three when they do book 2 for the price of 1 or book 4 for the price of 3.

We stayed in Newport Bay last year and are staying in Sequoia Lodge this year. Both on site Disney hotels about ten minutes walk away from the Village. If you stay on site you get to take advantage of the extra magic hours in the morning so you get in an hour earlier than everyone else not staying on site. Plus it was handy for us with the child still taking a nap in the afternoon to just walk back after lunch. Especially after tiring herself out all morning in the parks.

You could do most of the Studios in a day, then need 2/3 days for the main park easy. Try and fit in as many of the shows as you can, we missed a load the last time so are planning to see them this time.

We got the full board package the last time and it was almost too much food. Buffet breakfast then three course lunch and dinners or buffets for these. Sickens you. This time we are doing half board, planning on getting a decent breakfast then snack or small bite for lunch then a good dinner later. If your child is under 3 as well they are expected to eat off your plate with the meal plan so the buffets are the way to go there, that way they can get as much as they want. We had to pay extra for the buffet breakfast in the hotel last year but this year we booked Sequoia in one of the Forest Lounge rooms or something it's called and the breakfast is included, worked out roughly the same price as Newport Bay last year without the breakfast.

It is expensive to eat and drink in like everyone says but a load of people online advise to bring snack packs in with you, plus there is a shop in the train station at the parks where you can get sandwiches, crisps, drinks a whole lot cheaper than in the actual parks. Also there are a lot of water fountains round the parks, get a couple of bottles and refill as you go on, think the bottles of water in the park were about 4 euros each. f**k paying that all day.

Also sometimes it is worth checking out the different countries versions of the DLP website, they all run varying promotions at the same time so you could save by booking through them. I only found this out this year and booked a cheaper deal using the French site. Was only about £40 but that is better in my pocket than Mickey's.

Thanks for the advice.  Who did you book it through and what way do ride/show admissions work (passes etc?)?

Both times I have booked direct through the DLP official sites. Last year the UK version and this year the French version. Though a lot of people recommend Magic Breaks, they are an official booking partner so you know they are legit.

Most of the shows are free and you just land down about 5-10 mins before the start to see them and it is first come first served. The parade that is on daily is very popular so if you want a good spot you should get there about 20 mins in advance, we got right down at the bottom at the edge and a lot of the cast members came over to us, our wee one loved it. If they are dressed as a character then they have a better chance of interaction apparently.

There is a Buffalo Bills wild west show in the village that has two showings daily, you have to pay into this. We didn't do it the last time but are planning on doing it this time. It's a wild west show with Mickey and horses and stuff, you get your dinner at it as well. Looks decent. You can book this in advance or else wait until you are there, I will probably book it closer to the time.

For the rides it is basically a free for all most of the time. If you download the official DLP app it is handy it shows you wait times for all the rides live, so you can plan using it when you re there. You will get to know early on which rides are the longest waits, tbf with young ones you won't probably be going for them. Most of the younger aged ones queue times are quick enough.

There are certain rides that have fast passes, you go to the ride, scan your ticket and it prints your fast pass which has a 30 min time slot later in the day to come back and use the fast pass queue which usually gets you through in five minutes. You can only have one fast pass at a time though but you can hold a fast pass for the disney park and the studios at the same time, so you could have two, but it could be a ball ache if they both have similar times, not a hope you could get out of the park to the studios with kids in 20-30 mins.

There are normally single rider queues as well for the big ones for parents who want to go on by themselves. The Hollywood Tower ride is class. Last time we just did the younger rides with the child but I have said this time I will get on the bigger ones by myself at some stage.

JoG2

Quote from: Don Johnson on June 12, 2018, 11:05:59 AM

Both times I have booked direct through the DLP official sites. Last year the UK version and this year the French version. Though a lot of people recommend Magic Breaks, they are an official booking partner so you know they are legit.

Most of the shows are free and you just land down about 5-10 mins before the start to see them and it is first come first served. The parade that is on daily is very popular so if you want a good spot you should get there about 20 mins in advance, we got right down at the bottom at the edge and a lot of the cast members came over to us, our wee one loved it. If they are dressed as a character then they have a better chance of interaction apparently.

There is a Buffalo Bills wild west show in the village that has two showings daily, you have to pay into this. We didn't do it the last time but are planning on doing it this time. It's a wild west show with Mickey and horses and stuff, you get your dinner at it as well. Looks decent. You can book this in advance or else wait until you are there, I will probably book it closer to the time.

For the rides it is basically a free for all most of the time. If you download the official DLP app it is handy it shows you wait times for all the rides live, so you can plan using it when you re there. You will get to know early on which rides are the longest waits, tbf with young ones you won't probably be going for them. Most of the younger aged ones queue times are quick enough.

There are certain rides that have fast passes, you go to the ride, scan your ticket and it prints your fast pass which has a 30 min time slot later in the day to come back and use the fast pass queue which usually gets you through in five minutes. You can only have one fast pass at a time though but you can hold a fast pass for the disney park and the studios at the same time, so you could have two, but it could be a ball ache if they both have similar times, not a hope you could get out of the park to the studios with kids in 20-30 mins.

There are normally single rider queues as well for the big ones for parents who want to go on by themselves. The Hollywood Tower ride is class. Last time we just did the younger rides with the child but I have said this time I will get on the bigger ones by myself at some stage.

We also stayed in the Sequoia Lodge a while back. Booked for breakfast only. Most folk grab away at the mini rolls, croissants, cold cuts etc at the breakfast buffet and use for their lunch (grab a roll of tin foil), then stopped for dinner in the Disney Village (Planet Hollywood, Rainforest Cafe etc) on the way back out. Asleep before the head hit the pillow about 9 pm ! 1 beer downed in 4 days ! Studios for 1 day, Disney Pk for 3

armaghniac

Quote from: Don Johnson on June 12, 2018, 10:41:01 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 12, 2018, 10:38:03 AM

In a rental. Must look into that year thing, the year had definitely passed anyway.

In some cases, the rental company will just charge your credit card anyhow.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JoG2 on June 12, 2018, 11:25:50 AM

We also stayed in the Sequoia Lodge a while back. Booked for breakfast only. Most folk grab away at the mini rolls, croissants, cold cuts etc at the breakfast buffet and use for their lunch (grab a roll of tin foil), then stopped for dinner in the Disney Village (Planet Hollywood, Rainforest Cafe etc) on the way back out. Asleep before the head hit the pillow about 9 pm ! 1 beer downed in 4 days ! Studios for 1 day, Disney Pk for 3

Our first time was similar, I actually woke up with my one and only glass of wine still in my hand! Stayed in some cowboy type hotel onsite, If i were to ever go back, though my kids are too old now  :( I'd pay that bit extra and stay at Disney's own hotel, my sister has done it a few times now and they said its fantastic..

It'll be taking grand kids next time for me to the disney parks, Hopefully in 20 years!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Don Johnson

Quote from: JoG2 on June 12, 2018, 11:25:50 AM

I was the same. Had about a pint a night and then snoring. Couldn't have afforded to drink more though really! One day it was raining we went to the bar in our hotel, Newport Bay, I got a pint think it was about 7 Euro, wife got a cocktail about 10 Euro and she ordered the child a children's cocktail which came in a light up glass it was the dearest of the lot about 12/13 Euro! She got to keep the cup though.

The Earl of Sandwich cafe in the Village is a decent spot for a quick lunch, you can normally download vouchers online for 20% off there and the likes of Planet Hollywood and Rainforest Cafe. Note though the worst meal we had was in the Rainforest Cafe, I got a mixed grill and it was stinking, I think the food had all been sitting cooked under a hot light or something. It was all tough as old boots. Not that I was expecting michelin quality but they should have done better than that.

The best buffet in my opinion was La Grange at Billy Bobs in the Village, it was tex mex so did chilli, fajitas, ribs, wings etc. As well as a big choice for the kids. Worst buffet was the Agrabah Cafe, Aladdin themed, it was all hummous and crap like that. Didn't like it.

Hound

Someone mentioned a couple of weeks ago that they thought Legoland in Windsor was better than Disney in Paris. It's 7 or 8 years since I've been to either, but back then Disney was completely different class to Legoland.

I've been to Disney Paris 3 times. Loved it. We stayed in Newport Bay once and New York twice. The third and second most expensive I think, although not a whole lot in them. The most expense is right beside the entrance, heard it's very good, but there was a fair price differential which I wasn't prepared to pay. Although I think anyone who stays there gets an automatic Fastpass which narrows the gap somewhat.

We always bought the Fastpass and even when it wasn't hugely busy (we usually went the schools were off in Spring) we never regretted getting it. In my opinion you definitely need 3 full days. 1 for each park and 1 to get around the rides you missed or really want to do again. A day on top of that would be you could do it all leisurely and get to the shows. You should do every ride you are allowed do.

We always went B&B only. Favourite restaurant in the park is the one beside the Pirates of the Caribbean subterranean river. Planet Hollywood is pretty good and the kids really enjoyed Rainforest Cafe. Prices not cheap, but no dearer than equivalent in Dublin. Drink in the hotels was dear, but I don't remember the places in Disney Village being dear for drink.

There's a Disney bus that runs from CDG to Disneyland (stops at each hotel), which is what we used most of the time. There's also a train station at Disneyland which runs from Paris. The first time we went I think we flew into Beavais with Ryanair. From memory that was a complete pain in the hoop. I think it involved a bus to the outskirts of Paris, then a tube, then the train.

Taylor

What age are the kids?

If looking to do it on budget can recommend a very handy, basic hotel.

If looking to splash the cash go for a disney hotel with half board package (full board and you will be waddling round for months afterwards)

bigfrank

Looking to get away with the other half for a week in the sun in the next month,thinking the obvious places such as Spain or Portugal,but Cyprus is popular in our searches online.been using Thomson,jet2 and easyJet and various other ones,any hidden gems or suggestions? Thomson etc is handy for coach transfers etc and that,would it be better to book flights and look for hotel separately on my own or am I going looking for trouble when packages are right in front of me? Be flying from Belfast and just wary of some of the reviews you see,better to get lowdown from a trusted gaaboard member 🤣🤣

armaghniac

Quote from: bigfrank on June 12, 2018, 06:56:22 PM
Looking to get away with the other half for a week in the sun in the next month,thinking the obvious places such as Spain or Portugal,but Cyprus is popular in our searches online.been using Thomson,jet2 and easyJet and various other ones,any hidden gems or suggestions? Thomson etc is handy for coach transfers etc and that,would it be better to book flights and look for hotel separately on my own or am I going looking for trouble when packages are right in front of me? Be flying from Belfast and just wary of some of the reviews you see,better to get lowdown from a trusted gaaboard member 🤣🤣

I would have thought Cyprus good for independent booking as it is small and well organised and they drive on the left if you want to transport yourself.
Mind you, being located practically in Eygpt I wouldn't go in July unless you really like heat.

Insane Bolt

Croatia is a great spot and EasyJet fly to Split and there are easy connections via ferry to islands.

Harold Disgracey

I'm going to Madeira in August, flying out of Belfast. I've booked one of Jet2s 'indulgent escapes' staying at the Cliff Bay Hotel.

https://www.jet2holidays.com/portugal/madeira/funchal/the-cliff-bay-hotel?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5trwneXO2wIVSrTtCh3m8AHuEAAYASAAEgIOlfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Rois

We're off to Lake Garda in Saturday, fly to Milan from Belfast. We're heading up to the Dolomites for a couple of nights first for a bit of hiking, then down to the lake and staying in a beautiful hotel. Booked all ourselves. Try Irish News holidays, they have a FB Page amd most trips go from Belfast.