Computer Help

Started by Armagh Cúchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

How do you put a fada over a letter in word/ powerpoint?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

JoG2

hold down the Ctrl & Alt

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 17, 2015, 03:31:53 PM
How do you put a fada over a letter in word/ powerpoint?

AltGr..then your letter.

muppet

Be careful!

http://gizmodo.com/beware-of-this-dangerously-convincing-google-docs-phish-1546278702

My wife's gmail account got done. A version of the above email was sent to all her contacts which were then deleted. A filter was then secretly added to delete all inbound emails.

We changed password, found the missing emails in the trash, deleted the filter and looked at the recent history.

There were 3 sign ins that look like hacking.

One IP address was 149.5.38.219 with an estimated address in Wexford. Anyone know how to explore that for me?

Two other had IP addresses with my ISP (thus resembling my IP address) so I will email them and ask them to look into it.

I am backing up my own google contacts now.

MWWSI 2017

Orior

Quote from: muppet on March 01, 2015, 08:51:05 PM
Be careful!

http://gizmodo.com/beware-of-this-dangerously-convincing-google-docs-phish-1546278702

My wife's gmail account got done. A version of the above email was sent to all her contacts which were then deleted. A filter was then secretly added to delete all inbound emails.

We changed password, found the missing emails in the trash, deleted the filter and looked at the recent history.

There were 3 sign ins that look like hacking.

One IP address was 149.5.38.219 with an estimated address in Wexford. Anyone know how to explore that for me?

Two other had IP addresses with my ISP (thus resembling my IP address) so I will email them and ask them to look into it.

I am backing up my own google contacts now.

In the year....

1715 - all my contacts are in my townland
1815 - all my contacts are in my townland and neighbouring townlands
1915 - I must write down all my contacts sometime
2015 - I must back up my contacts to the cloud
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

snoopdog

Hi. Having wireless connection issues with a hp pavillion protect smart laptop. It says the wireless is connected but when I try to view Internet I'm told it's not available. Wireless is working as my phone is logged on with it. Any ideas guys greatly appreciated. 

JoG2

Quote from: snoopdog on July 09, 2015, 08:36:31 PM
Hi. Having wireless connection issues with a hp pavillion protect smart laptop. It says the wireless is connected but when I try to view Internet I'm told it's not available. Wireless is working as my phone is logged on with it. Any ideas guys greatly appreciated.

Give this a whirl

Click the windows button... Type

Services.msc and click ok

Scroll down to wireless zero  configuration and start it if it has stopped.  If started already,  restart.  Make sure it set to automatic

snoopdog

Quote from: JoG2 on July 09, 2015, 10:48:55 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on July 09, 2015, 08:36:31 PM

Give this a whirl

Click the windows button... Type

Services.msc and click ok

Scroll down to wireless zero  configuration and start it if it has stopped.  If started already,  restart.  Make sure it set to automatic
hi. Sorry a bit slow with anything to do with computers. When I go into windows and type services .mac a services app opens a file. Nothing named wireless in there. Would it come under wired auto config?

JoG2

sorry Snoop, I was off the line there. I'm not sure then. You could go into 'network neighbourhood' / 'my network places', into the adaptors part, right click the wi-fi icon, disable, then re-enable

illdecide

Guys i've been offered a free up grade to Windows 10 from 8.1. Is it worth changing?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

macdanger2

It is if you want to be a guinea pig for Microsoft

Syferus

You might as well. The start menu is back and beyond some iconography Windows 10 isn't going to be alien to someone who knows 8.1. The upgrade is free for users of Windows 7 upwards. You can do an in-place install that will keep all your files and installed programs so you don't have much to lose.

gallsman

Upgraded a few days ago. 8.1 was a disaster so figured it couldn't be any worse. Seems grand.

Now all I need to do is turn the thing on more than once every six months.

laoislad

My mother has asked me to get her a new laptop so was looking fro some advice.
She has one at the minute that she only bought 3 years ago but it is a heap of shite. Its a Toshiba but it's as slow as a wet day,even opening folders is painfully slow. I think it's only a Intel Celeron processor.
I've tried restoring the laptop but it made little or no difference.

It's not going to be used for heavy computer work but she is involved in a good few community groups as treasurer etc so will want it for basic enough word,excel work and whatever web browsing a 70 year old woman does!
I doubt she will be playing Call of Duty or anything on it.

I was looking at some on the Dell website and saw this http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-15-5558-laptop/pd?oc=cn55801&model_id=inspiron-15-5558-laptop
and this http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-15-3551-laptop/pd?oc=cn35505

Any thoughts or other brands I can look at? I doubt for the use she will be giving it she would want to spend much more than the cost of either of those two,but saying that I'm sure she would stretch a little further if there was a decent one to be bought.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

macdanger2

I would have thought that a 3yo laptop should still be ok for what she wants to do with it. Would it be worth paying €50 to get it completely wiped and see how it goes??

I bought an ASUS 2 years ago and I'm very happy with it. Obviously with a less well-known brand you can get higher specs for the same price. I went for a fairly decent spec (i5 processor and 16GB RAM) so it was around 1k at the time