2018 NFL Division 1

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, January 02, 2018, 09:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 30, 2018, 03:47:29 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on March 30, 2018, 03:42:49 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 30, 2018, 03:17:40 PM
Quote from: Zulu on March 30, 2018, 03:07:35 PM
He mentions Dublin clubs get €20,000 for coaches but doesn't mention they have to come up with the other half of the salary. Mind you if Liam Mellows are not being offered the same deal then that is entirely wrong.

He also says the rate of funding reduction is too slow but that seems entirely naïve to me as many projects/employees that are being funded by this money could be under threat if funding was reduced too quickly.

I think there is a lot of hysterical hand wringing when it comes to Dublin funding but there's obviously an imbalance that needs to be redressed and I would hope there is a plan to help and support counties outside of Dublin. I'm sure there is as despite what some of the more uninformed posters here like to claim, the people running the GAA are intelligent capable genuine GAA people.

Common sense has spoken. Yes these clubs come up with the other half, they get off their backsides and look for sponsorship and sell lotto tickets. It's not like the exorbitant funding is wasted! Dublin GAA get huge amounts and they spend it wisely. The rest would want to get off their own arses and stop complaining. It's not like Dublin are a special case. They just get a sh1te lot more than the rest of the country. The people running the GAA are intelligent capable genuine financial GAA people.

and your reply is spoken like a man who hasn't a notion how much it takes to run a club ! Have you any idea how much it takes to run even a junior club with underage teams and ladies teams? Huge money and a yearly struggle to stay afloat. Constant ticket, lotto and organizing at least 1 major fund raiser a year.

Imagine the vast majority of clubs outside of Dublin having the luxury to even stump up half the money for a full-time coach, cloud-cuckoo land!.  Would you be involved in running a club?

What? Next you'll be telling us that Dublin playing in Croke Park is an advantage!

touché! i added a note to the foot of my original post there

From the Bunker

Quote from: JoG2 on March 30, 2018, 03:49:11 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 30, 2018, 03:47:29 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on March 30, 2018, 03:42:49 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 30, 2018, 03:17:40 PM
Quote from: Zulu on March 30, 2018, 03:07:35 PM
He mentions Dublin clubs get €20,000 for coaches but doesn't mention they have to come up with the other half of the salary. Mind you if Liam Mellows are not being offered the same deal then that is entirely wrong.

He also says the rate of funding reduction is too slow but that seems entirely naïve to me as many projects/employees that are being funded by this money could be under threat if funding was reduced too quickly.

I think there is a lot of hysterical hand wringing when it comes to Dublin funding but there's obviously an imbalance that needs to be redressed and I would hope there is a plan to help and support counties outside of Dublin. I'm sure there is as despite what some of the more uninformed posters here like to claim, the people running the GAA are intelligent capable genuine GAA people.

Common sense has spoken. Yes these clubs come up with the other half, they get off their backsides and look for sponsorship and sell lotto tickets. It's not like the exorbitant funding is wasted! Dublin GAA get huge amounts and they spend it wisely. The rest would want to get off their own arses and stop complaining. It's not like Dublin are a special case. They just get a sh1te lot more than the rest of the country. The people running the GAA are intelligent capable genuine financial GAA people.

and your reply is spoken like a man who hasn't a notion how much it takes to run a club ! Have you any idea how much it takes to run even a junior club with underage teams and ladies teams? Huge money and a yearly struggle to stay afloat. Constant ticket, lotto and organizing at least 1 major fund raiser a year.

Imagine the vast majority of clubs outside of Dublin having the luxury to even stump up half the money for a full-time coach, cloud-cuckoo land!.  Would you be involved in running a club?

What? Next you'll be telling us that Dublin playing in Croke Park is an advantage!

touché! i added a note to the foot of my original post there

I am involved in a Club! We can only dream of part time coaches. It's nice to dream!

Zulu

Country clubs have found money to pay managers and Liam Mellows are able to fund a fulltime coach. Funny that. If you were to listen to FtB Dublin have everything handed to them and everyone outside of Dublin can't do anything better. Thankfully many GAA people are far more proactive than that.

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on March 30, 2018, 06:26:57 PM
Country clubs have found money to pay managers and Liam Mellows are able to fund a fulltime coach. Funny that. If you were to listen to FtB Dublin have everything handed to them and everyone outside of Dublin can't do anything better. Thankfully many GAA people are far more proactive than that.

Congrats on winning the D1 football title this weekend, Zulu.

larryin89

It beggars belief that still they say no advantage.  What more do you want ,its there in black and white ffs.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rossfan

Liam Mellows is based in Galway City.
70,000 people and only  a handful of GAA clubs so not  that hard for them to put some €€€€€s together.
North Roscommon pop 10k at most and 9 or 10 Clubs.
Now if Central GAA said we'll pay 50% of the cost of a full time coach I'm sure the 9 or 10 Clubs would scrape €15k together somehow. Not easy in one of the poorest parts of Ireland though.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on March 30, 2018, 06:53:04 PM
70,000 people and only  a handful of GAA clubs so not  that hard for them to put some €€€€€s together.
Now if Central GAA said we'll pay 50% of the cost of a full time coach I'm sure the 9 or 10 Clubs would scrape €15k together somehow. Not easy in one of the poorest parts of Ireland though.

Roscommon actually has the highest life expectancy in Ireland. The cost of living is also far lower in the places you mentioned so you can earn less and still have more disposable income than those in cities. Poverty is much more of an urban problem.

GaillimhIarthair

Liam Mellows were the only club in Connacht that had a fill time coach for the past few years - to the best of my knowledge, that full time position does not exist today.

shark

Quote from: Syferus on March 30, 2018, 06:58:53 PM

Roscommon actually has the highest life expectancy in Ireland. The cost of living is also far lower in the places you mentioned so you can earn less and still have more disposable income than those in cities. Poverty is much more of an urban problem.

True to say that there is less poverty in rural areas the urban. Maybe the point he was making was that rural places (like the aforementioned) are unlikely to have as many wealthy individuals to throw money at a GAA club. There will be exceptions of course.

On Zulu's point that clubs have money to pay managers, but not coaches. People are just more willing to throw money at a short term solution. It would be great if clubs unilaterally stopped paying managers, but that's just not going to happen. I'm in the smug position of being able to say that my club don't pay managers. However, the trophy cabinet has been pretty bare lately.

Zulu

Quote from: Syferus on March 30, 2018, 06:43:11 PM

Congrats on winning the D1 football title this weekend, Zulu.

I know you think that's witty, it's not.

Zulu

Rossfan, I'd say there's plenty in Galway city that wouldn't be bothered about Liam Mellows. It isn't as black and white as city club loads of money, country club struggling. Many times it can be the opposite.

A fulltime coach may not be a difference maker in North Roscommon so that might not be the solution for them but two coaches in Athlone might help. For North Roscommon it could be more about upskilling the coaches, developing facilities or something else.

Have county boards approached CP with proposals or engaged in strategic reviews of what can be done to develop football in different parts of their county?

Zulu

Quote from: shark on March 30, 2018, 08:56:11 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 30, 2018, 06:58:53 PM

True to say that there is less poverty in rural areas the urban. Maybe the point he was making was that rural places (like the aforementioned) are unlikely to have as many wealthy individuals to throw money at a GAA club. There will be exceptions of course.

On Zulu's point that clubs have money to pay managers, but not coaches. People are just more willing to throw money at a short term solution. It would be great if clubs unilaterally stopped paying managers, but that's just not going to happen. I'm in the smug position of being able to say that my club don't pay managers. However, the trophy cabinet has been pretty bare lately.

That might well be true but surely the likes of FtB can't play the poor country boy card while many country clubs are paying mangers to win them an adult county title?

I've no great love of the Dubs, though I do love watching their football team, however some of the criticism of Dublin around here is inaccurate, ill-informed and sometimes plain daft.

Rossfan

Shark and Zulu -wouldn't be too many white collar senior Civil/Public Service people or business managers/Senior executives in the average rural club's area unlike your urban clubs.. A teacher or maybe a Junior civil servant or 2 , small farmers or factory workers or the like.
So there isn't much disposable income about.
Might be cheaper to buy a house etc but if you're driving to Dublin or Galway every day....

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on March 30, 2018, 09:18:48 PM
Shark and Zulu -wouldn't be too many white collar senior Civil/Public Service people or business managers/Senior executives in the average rural club's area unlike your urban clubs.. A teacher or maybe a Junior civil servant or 2 , small farmers or factory workers or the like.
So there isn't much disposable income about.
Might be cheaper to buy a house etc but if you're driving to Dublin or Galway every day....

Who the feck in North Roscommon is driving to Dublin for work that isn't a long-haul truck driver? Your goal posts must be on wheels with the amount you move them when you get rubbished.

Population rather than disposable income per captia is the big difference between the areas you mentioned.

Rossfan

Will you ever stop your personal insults.
Nobody gets rubbished here except you with the shite you keep posting.
Grow up and leave this discussion and the Paraic Duffy thread to adult sensible posters.
About 30 people I'm aware of from North Ros driving to Dublin daily.
A load more drive to Longford and go by train daily.
A scatter of South Laythrumites doing likewise.