Farming.

Started by Family guy, September 13, 2012, 09:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

After the Spence tragedy, I thought there was going to be alarms fitted and protocols brought in to sort this ?.

mylestheslasher

So many kids killed on farms every year. They are dangerous places of work and kids should be watched at all times. Terrible tragedy in Dunloy, RIP to the little man.

trileacman

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 07, 2014, 10:07:22 PM
So many kids killed on farms every year. They are dangerous places of work and kids should be watched at all times. Terrible tragedy in Dunloy, RIP to the little man.

Agreed, the problem here isn't just slurry danger but the problem of children on farms. They're not playgrounds. We used to have a primary school teacher who'd berate us for running round/working on farms and we'd laugh at him for being over-protective. Turns out he was right enough.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

theskull1

Came upon the scene yesterday with all the emergency services there. A terrible terrible tradegy. Won't forget the haunted faces of the relatives/friends that were standing there for a day or two.

Our emergency services see it on a regular basis. They deserve immense credit
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

J70

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 07, 2014, 08:56:52 PM
Apparently wasn't a fall into a pit - by all accounts they were mixing slurry and were poisoned by the fumes. Very sad for the family and the father especially if he pulls through.

How many more of these deaths have to happen before people learn to take the necessary steps? Tragic.   :'(

Milltown Row2

It has to be the must unnecessary cause of death at a farm, farmers know the dangers, HSE know the dangers and what is fecking done to eliminate this? Feck all.

Breathing apparatus must be essential when working with odourless dangerous gases, there isn't a factory/plant or any other form of industry that works with these types of gases that doesn't comply with regulations set by LAW!! If they don't they are closed down and any accidents caused by bad practice or not adhering to the regulations can end in prosecution, insurance premiums are raised which would make it tougher on running farms.

Thoughts are with the family in the stuff time and I hope the father pulls through but It's about time farmers wised up da feck
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

snoopdog

i know machinery is much more advanced now does this have a part to play in this gas being realised ie is the agitating much more vigorous now.
I grew up in the  80's in the countryside and spent a lot of time on my uncle and neighbours farms  we were always warned of the dangers of slurry tanks but only falling into them not once did I ever remember hearing of the dangers of gas or people dying from it. Maybe it did happen but was unaware of it. obviously it was there but maybe more powerful machines are doing this now causing a quicker release of the gas

J70

Quote from: snoopdog on June 08, 2014, 08:36:38 PM
i know machinery is much more advanced now does this have a part to play in this gas being realised ie is the agitating much more vigorous now.
I grew up in the  80's in the countryside and spent a lot of time on my uncle and neighbours farms  we were always warned of the dangers of slurry tanks but only falling into them not once did I ever remember hearing of the dangers of gas or people dying from it. Maybe it did happen but was unaware of it. obviously it was there but maybe more powerful machines are doing this now causing a quicker release of the gas

Perhaps. We agitated slurry from the early 90s and it was something we were very aware of. Sheds were totally closed off to animals and all.

Farmer dam

Unfortunately complaciancy causes a lot of deaths on farms these days. Every farmer knows you shouldn't enter a shed while mixing the slurry yet farmers do.its sad but can be stopped

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Farmer dam on June 08, 2014, 10:12:10 PM
Unfortunately complacency causes a lot of deaths on farms these days. Every farmer knows you shouldn't enter a shed while mixing the slurry yet farmers do.its sad but can be stopped

Complacency, the biggest cause of accidents in any industry. But what has ever come out of the HSE investigations? People need to comply with the regulations, the cost of a gas indicator and breathing apparatus is pittance when the chance of death is possible.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

orangeman

Quote from: Farmer dam on June 08, 2014, 10:12:10 PM
Unfortunately complaciancy causes a lot of deaths on farms these days. Every farmer knows you shouldn't enter a shed while mixing the slurry yet farmers do.its sad but can be stopped

It's a bit like the fishermen on Lough Neagh fishing. There are plenty who still don't wear life jackets which is crazy.

muppet

Honest question, was there ever a final report into the Nevin Spence & family tragedy?
MWWSI 2017

Tony Baloney

Quote from: muppet on June 09, 2014, 01:05:47 AM
Honest question, was there ever a final report into the Nevin Spence & family tragedy?
I'll ask our HSE Manager when he comes back from lunch. I just passed him the canteen eating from a multi-pack of Twix! "Health" he says!

orangeman

Yet another victim of slurry fumes last night near Bantry in Cork. Another terrible tragedy.

J70

Doesn't The Farmers' Journal and other such dedicated papers highlight these dangers? How can people not be aware anymore?