Farming.

Started by Family guy, September 13, 2012, 09:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on September 18, 2012, 08:00:22 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 18, 2012, 07:36:56 PM
Granted the farmer would need to keep sensors calibrated as they would need to make sure their BA was in good nick also.

Aye, well, my point is simple.

- your never sure if the sensor is working till its too late.
- you know instantly if the O2 bottle is working.

Cows will shite when and where they like, tractors and trailors will draw muck onto a road, that'll never change but farmers should just show a bit more respect for other road users and put a road brush over the bloody thing once in a while.

J70

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on September 18, 2012, 08:00:22 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 18, 2012, 07:36:56 PM
Granted the farmer would need to keep sensors calibrated as they would need to make sure their BA was in good nick also.

Aye, well, my point is simple.

- your never sure if the sensor is working till its too late.
- you know instantly if the O2 bottle is working.

Gas detectors can be tested against a known concentration  and should be (as well as calibrated) on a regular basis. It doesn't take long either.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on September 18, 2012, 10:32:00 PM
Had the weekend tragedy involved a car accident, where a family of 3 died when the driver lost control of their car after hitting a stretch of dirty road, would you still express the same opinions?

Oh here we go with the doomsday projections.

Sure what if Bruce Willis had been driving the car and the very next week an asteroid came along and hit the earth killing everyone because he wasn't around to blow it up?  ::)
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: johnneycool on September 19, 2012, 08:57:55 AM
Cows will shite when and where they like, tractors and trailors will draw muck onto a road, that'll never change but farmers should just show a bit more respect for other road users and put a road brush over the bloody thing once in a while.

Once in a while?

You'd have to do it every time you came out of a field - otherwise there would be no point. Just ask Dougal Maguire - he'll tell ye that Bruce Willis and his 2 other family members would still die and the world would still be hit by that asteroid.

i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: J70 on September 19, 2012, 10:42:22 AM
Gas detectors can be tested against a known concentration  and should be (as well as calibrated) on a regular basis. It doesn't take long either.

Indeed - I've been involved in gas tests before and know about the calibration efforts needed.

But, then you need a fresh bottle with known concentrations of your target gases, and to test every 6 months (or whatever manufacturers recommended calibration intervals are). How many farmers do you think are realistically going to keep up with their calibrations?

The simpler and failsafe option IMO would be the O2:N2 bottle. Its pressurized so can only leak out. When you turn it on, you either get exactly what it says on the tin, or nothing comes out - either way, you know there and then that its working or it isn't. No calibration needed.

i usse an speelchekor

johnneycool

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on September 19, 2012, 11:03:28 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on September 19, 2012, 08:57:55 AM

Once in a while?

You'd have to do it every time you came out of a field - otherwise there would be no point. Just ask Dougal Maguire - he'll tell ye that Bruce Willis and his 2 other family members would still die and the world would still be hit by that asteroid.

At least do it when you're finished going in and out of whatever field, and a few signs warning of a slippery road would make sense as well.

The Iceman

If you're going to complain about shit on the roads go and live in the town and don't be out those roads.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

johnneycool

Quote from: The Iceman on September 19, 2012, 02:16:28 PM
If you're going to complain about shit on the roads go and live in the town and don't be out those roads.

Why? I live in the country and fairly accepting of what comes with that. I pay road tax unlike a lot of the tractors who make a mess of the roads, I just want them to make an effort to keep the roads reasonable, I'm not asking for nappies to be put on cows, but some farmers just don't give a shit about the state they leave the roads in.

Mayo4Sam

I pay road tax on my tractor unlike a lot of people in cars! Doesn't make my opinion any more or less worthwhile

Maybe if people driving used a bit of common sense, like maybe "oh there's a whole pile of shite on the road, maybe I should slow down for the 20 yards" it would be safer.
Similar to thinking "oh there's a tractor with 5 cars behind it, I wont try and overtake all 6 on a bend" or "there's a tractor I maybe I don't need a mile of clear road to overtake it".

Like I say, a bit of common sense goes a long way
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

johnneycool

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on September 19, 2012, 03:20:59 PM
I pay road tax on my tractor unlike a lot of people in cars! Doesn't make my opinion any more or less worthwhile

Maybe if people driving used a bit of common sense, like maybe "oh there's a whole pile of shite on the road, maybe I should slow down for the 20 yards" it would be safer.
Similar to thinking "oh there's a tractor with 5 cars behind it, I wont try and overtake all 6 on a bend" or "there's a tractor I maybe I don't need a mile of clear road to overtake it".

Like I say, a bit of common sense goes a long way

Or maybe,

I'll be spreading slurry today, I'll put out some road signs warning people the road might be slippery rather than let them happen upon it and put the road brush over it before night.

Oh, there's a stream of cars behind me, I'll pull in and let them pass. (some tractor drivers do, some don't)

Yes common sense does go a long way

Mayo4Sam

Most farmers I know would put up signs when there's heavy or constant traffic for the day, how often would u say people take heed of them?

Same goes for pulling in, I generally have a rule of once a mile, where possible, or if there's 3/4 cars behind me I'll leave it figuring on the next straight they'll get by, like I say common sense but it's never enough for some f**kers. I do laugh at them passing and blowing the horn like mad or giving the finger, your blood pressure not mine, I try to wave back or at least acknowledge it with a toot of the horn (provided its working)
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: johnneycool on September 19, 2012, 11:16:52 AM
At least do it when you're finished going in and out of whatever field, and a few signs warning of a slippery road would make sense as well.

Aye, sure.

Every day at every field I drop off a bale in during the winter I'm gonna put out a wee roadsign when I go in and break out the brush and sweep the road after I've driven 50 yrds down the road to get the muck off the tyres... then pick up the roadsign and be on my merry way to do the same the next time.

Catch yerself on.
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on September 19, 2012, 03:41:11 PM
Most farmers I know would put up signs when there's heavy or constant traffic for the day, how often would u say people take heed of them?

Especially if the field exits onto or near corners. It'd be madness not to.
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Jonah on September 19, 2012, 03:47:40 PM
Tractor drivers,lorry drivers and mothers bringing their kids to and from school are the biggest nuisance on the road.

Ye left the peelers off that.

They are easily the biggest nuisance on the roads!  ;D
i usse an speelchekor

Jonah

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on September 19, 2012, 03:48:49 PM
Quote from: Jonah on September 19, 2012, 03:47:40 PM
Tractor drivers,lorry drivers and mothers bringing their kids to and from school are the biggest nuisance on the road.

Ye left the peelers off that.

They are easily the biggest nuisance on the roads!  ;D

Oh and I forgot to mention learner drivers. I know we all had to learn to drive at one stage but if you cut your engine out 12 times in a row at a roundabout or traffic lights I am going to blow you off the road.
I don't mind tractors and farmers really,I know they have to do their work.