Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: gallsman on September 26, 2019, 10:29:18 PM
4-4 after 5. Sudden death. One of the Casement's scores could have done with Hawkeye.

6-6 now

Yeah looked wide
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Sportacus

Sean Kelly super PRO.  Players held their nerve well.  Ciaran McCavana meant well I've no doubt, but seriously why is it always Antrim.  I mean, making the rules up as we go along, that's ridiculous.
Some seriously bad sportsmanship as well from the sidelines, hackling the kickers - there are some dickheads about.

stiffler

I thought the rule was a further 2 x 5min period of extra time if it was a draw after first period of extra time?

After the St. John's portglenone game, the general consensus was that games should be finished on the day, now people are happy with a 2nd replay on this occasion.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

gallsman

I don't think anyone is "happy". I think it's that people would prefer that, under incredibly rare and unlikely circumstances, common sense is allowed to prevail. It was 10.30 at night in the cold and wet and you've leads who have to get up and go to school, college and work in the morning. Significant chance of injury out there too. Not ideal, but the correct decision.

Jerome got great footage at the death in extra time. Casement's defender coming out celebrating PC missing the free pushes LD man in the back and then promptly falls to ground turning injury. Ref having none of it.

BrollysArmy

What a game! Had everything in it! Including dodgy decisions and uncertainties of rules.

So do yellow cards carry to extra time or not??

BrollysArmy

Crazy!

Hard to look past cargin at this point.  So much emotion put into the past two games, v tired legs going into the final for both teams

Cranfield

Wow...what a finish to the game tonight!!! Glad to see the county chairman step in and show some leadership. Seems to be no consistency of GAA rules on how to settle a tie after extra time?

delgany

Quote from: stiffler on September 26, 2019, 11:02:53 PM
I thought the rule was a further 2 x 5min period of extra time if it was a draw after first period of extra time?

After the St. John's portglenone game, the general consensus was that games should be finished on the day, now people are happy with a 2nd replay on this occasion.

Extra 5 mins each way , after extra time abandoned  last year for 33 m free kicks. 2020 will see a straight forward penalty shoot out from 11m !

bannside

Just my opinion but 100% hats off to Ciaran Mc Cavanagh on making a brave and very sensible call. As a parent of one of the freetakers I can tell you that the emotional turmoil that would follow the first unlucky person to miss would simply not be worth it. Some things are more important than football...believe it or not!

Fair play, a big call that should meet with approval by all level headed people. 

Hectic

Quote from: delgany on September 26, 2019, 11:57:05 PM

Extra 5 mins each way , after extra time abandoned  last year for 33 m free kicks. 2020 will see a straight forward penalty shoot out from 11m !

Not sure what the Antrim Championship regulations are for this year. Would be interested to see them if anyone has a link.

Last set I saw from a year or two ago there was no mention of free kicks, just extra time. The extra 10 mins each way followed by 5 mins each way I think was for the National Leagues. Again dont know if this was to follow into club championship games.

The one rule that was in place previously was that replays must be within 4 days of a drawn game which might explain the St Johns thing if that is still written in.

I found it painful watching the frees last night. The more it went on the more I was thinking screw this for a way to seperate teams that had fought so closely over 2 matches. But again great if someone had the latest regulations purely for interest.

Hectic

And as for the shouting and heckling of kick takers. Those who were at it hang your head in shame.

AntrimRealist

Quote from: Hectic on September 27, 2019, 06:01:23 AM
Quote from: delgany on September 26, 2019, 11:57:05 PM

Not sure what the Antrim Championship regulations are for this year. Would be interested to see them if anyone has a link.

Last set I saw from a year or two ago there was no mention of free kicks, just extra time. The extra 10 mins each way followed by 5 mins each way I think was for the National Leagues. Again dont know if this was to follow into club championship games.

The one rule that was in place previously was that replays must be within 4 days of a drawn game which might explain the St Johns thing if that is still written in.

I found it painful watching the frees last night. The more it went on the more I was thinking screw this for a way to seperate teams that had fought so closely over 2 matches. But again great if someone had the latest regulations purely for interest.
It is 4 days or as directed by CCC so if they wanted to show a bit of common sense or consideration of player welfare they could, but they won't.
Long and the short of it is, they should have thought about fair or reasonable free kicks were before putting them into place. What can't take place is the cou ty chair deciding on the hoof that it's late and sure we'll just have a replay. A complete and total farce

gallsman

He didn't decide on the hoof. He consulted with both managers and it was agreed.

Minder

I'm sure I heard a manager saying "we aren't taking another kick" when McCavana called them over
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AntrimRealist

Quote from: gallsman on September 27, 2019, 07:56:07 AM
He didn't decide on the hoof. He consulted with both managers and it was agreed.
Ah I see, well that's OK then. Sure we'll just have a set of rules for each game agreed between the County chair and the teams