Kyle Coney set to reject Aussie Rules?

Started by Over the Bar, September 29, 2008, 12:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

Great news for Tyrone & Ardboe if true!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2008/0929/1222420013976.html

Coney likely to resist lure of Australia

THE GAA may have just caught a break in the struggle to keep hold of their most talented young players. The potential golden future that now lies in front of Tyrone footballers looks to have swayed Kyle Coney from taking up a rookie contract with the Sydney Swans in November.

The teenager refused to confirm or deny the rumours emanating over the weekend but it looks increasingly likely he will follow the lead of Seán Cavanagh a few seasons back and stay put.

"My mind is now set on Ardboe," said Coney after Saturday's game. "I have to get back to normality with the club. I'm not away anywhere yet. I've not made any final plans yet.

"My aim is to play senior football for Tyrone. Definitely. There is no better feeling than playing for your county, especially winning, sure, what more could you want?

"My options are still firmly open and they will be until I make any decisions further down the line."

Sounds positive for Tyrone.

"Thanks lads, I enjoyed that," said Aiden O'Shea, standing outside the Mayo changing rooms as two Tyrone players offered commiserations. It was some statement from a teenager who had just experienced the worst hurt sport can deliver.

The contrast in emotions was stark, but both teams still exchanged gear afterwards. Tyrone had a spare set of jerseys. Just in case. They really do think of everything. That is the difference right now. Tyrone laid solid foundations and are set to reap the long term benefits.

So little separated the teams, but an underlining gulf exists that Mayo boss Ray Dempsey addressed when asked to make sense of what just transpired.

"We were beaten by a very, very good side, I don't know more talented but definitely a more technical, team in Tyrone.

"The huge work they are doing at underage, they really set out 10 years ago to become power-houses in football and that's really what they are doing. We are delighted, I suppose we are no more than 10 months at it so going forward, from our point of view, if we want to be consistent and taken serious we have to really up our coaching and get the real support and the backing that's needed to compete with the Tyrones of this world.

"It may be just putting words into action. Getting the school structures stronger. Getting underage stronger. Putting people into place to technically develop players . . . We did our damnedest to be going back over the Shannon with the cup.

"We've beaten Kerry and brought Tyrone to a replay and extra-time so I don't know what we have to do to win an All-Ireland. We're down, but we have to see do we really want to be consistent at this level."

Life in the house of pain continues, but Sam and his young friend Tom Markham will winter well in Tyrone.

ziggysego

I've heard that in recent days also and from some people 'in the know'.

Good news for Tyrone football if it's true.
Testing Accessibility

give her dixie

sounds like good news.
Lets hope he stays put and gives us many memorable appearances in the Red Hand shirt..
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Onion Bag

Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

RONAN

Sorry to disappoint you lads but definitely goin

Over the Bar

QuoteHe looks like a cocky b**tard 

Valued contribution there Onion Bag!

rrhf

Exactly can we log that comment by onion bag and put it down as jealousy and begrudgery against a minor.  Shame on you.  We should be encouraging these lads to stay in our games and sure even if they are confident individuals isnt that to be valued.     

thebandit

He's 18 years of age and approaching legendry status already..... I'd be cocky!!!

Btw he's a nice lad

RONAN

Quote from: Over the Bar on September 29, 2008, 12:37:03 PM
QuoteHe looks like a cocky b**tard 

Valued contribution there Onion Bag!
Unreal comment, wat a tool!!!

ziggysego

I was told the chances of Coney heading to Australia was slim and if he did, he would only be going for 2-3 years tops.
Testing Accessibility

stephenite

Quote from: ziggysego on September 29, 2008, 12:52:29 PM
I was told the chances of Coney heading to Australia was slim and if he did, he would only be going for 2-3 years tops.

That's what Tadhg Kennelly said

RONAN

He has signed a 2 year rookie contract, set to head off at the start of Nov, take that as a fact lads.

orangeman

Quote from: RONAN on September 29, 2008, 12:56:30 PM
He has signed a 2 year rookie contract, set to head off at the start of Nov, take that as a fact lads.

He must have told you something different to what he has told eveybody else as past few weeks Ronan ! Can you enlighten us please ?

Jinxy

He's signed a contract. Would he go back on this?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Onion Bag

Quote from: rrhf on September 29, 2008, 12:44:02 PM
Exactly can we log that comment by onion bag and put it down as jealousy and begrudgery against a minor.  Shame on you.  We should be encouraging these lads to stay in our games and sure even if they are confident individuals isnt that to be valued.     

What have i got to be jealous about, The lad has an exceptional talent, defintely one for the future, all i said is he looks as if he has got a very high opinion of himself i.e cocky
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!