Lives changed by winning an All Ireland

Started by irunthev, July 29, 2008, 05:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irunthev

There has been a lot of talk about the Dublin players of the 1970s and how successful they were after they had finished playing on another thread. What players (aside from the Dubs and those that have gone into the media) have had their lives tranformed by winning a Celtic Cross.

time ticking away

Martin Mc Hugh may not have transformed his life as a result of 1992 but he transformed mine. I now cannot watch the championship on BBC when he is on as he makes me sick
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

In the Onion Bag

TTA - Couldn't agree more and he's a distant relative of me own.  Was undoubtedly a great player but his TV contributions do not measure up. 

Think even Hugo Duncan would do a better job.  Oh God, did I actually say that!

laceer

Quote from: time ticking away on July 29, 2008, 10:24:23 PM
Martin Mc Hugh may not have transformed his life as a result of 1992 but he transformed mine. I now cannot watch the championship on BBC when he is on as he makes me sick

ah come on..marty's great for putting about 15 half assed points across in one sentence while speaking at 300mph

Yes I Would

"Take care on the roads, Look after your neighbours & remember Your uncle Hugo loves you".

lynchbhoy

Quote from: irunthev on July 29, 2008, 05:57:06 PM
There has been a lot of talk about the Dublin players of the 1970s and how successful they were after they had finished playing on another thread. What players (aside from the Dubs and those that have gone into the media) have had their lives tranformed by winning a Celtic Cross.
one poor fella found his life was ruined from drink after winning an All Ireland in the 80's. Thankfully last I heard he had got back with the wife and had got his life back on track (after about 10 years in the wilderness).

its not all sunshine it seems after winning an All Ireland - certainly not what youd expect !

In the Onion Bag

Hey! Maybe Hugo would take Martin on his travel shows and keep him away from GA punditry.

thebandit

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 29, 2008, 11:21:16 PM
one poor fella found his life was ruined from drink after winning an All Ireland in the 80's. Thankfully last I heard he had got back with the wife and had got his life back on track (after about 10 years in the wilderness).

its not all sunshine it seems after winning an All Ireland - certainly not what youd expect !

There's a right few who had problems with drink after winning an AI, particularly players who won it near the end of their careers.

bingobus

Quote from: thebandit on July 30, 2008, 10:33:31 AM

There's a right few who had problems with drink after winning an AI, particularly players who won it near the end of their careers.

There are also plenty of players who had problems with the drink who didn't get near winning an All-Ireland.

RONAN

There are also plenty of players who had problems with the drink who didn't get near winning an All-Ireland.
[/quote]
I'll second that one Bingo!!!

theskull1

Loughgiel had a wee lad in his early 20's who won an AI Club back in 83. Tinkle Carey. Started drinking the night they won it and has not stopped since
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

heffo

Quote from: thebandit on July 30, 2008, 10:33:31 AM

Seamus Darby being a prime example - he goes into some detail in 'Kings of September' - marriage breakup, lost a couple of businesses.

I think Sean Walsh also spoke about the potential for drink problems when you when an AI..

AZOffaly

I'd say Seamus is who Lynchbhoy is talking about, although I'm not sure if Seamus describes himself as a recovering alcoholic. I think he just had a period of binging, and had to go to London to get away from things.

He is back on track now, and looked great before the 25th Anniversary celebrations.

A lot of People tend to forget that Seamus was a key forward on the 1972 team, and won an All Ireland with them 10 years before the infamous 5 in a row final. He didn't go off the rails after that one. It's sad that when he was 10 years older he was less able to handle what happened, but fair play to him for getting his life back in order.

As you said, a lot of this is in various interviews with Seamus himself, so I'm not divulging anything that would be a 'secret'. We should be careful about that if anyone else is mentioned.

moysider

My life was transformed by not winning, or rather Mayo Players not winning celtic crosses, over last 20 years. I used to be easygoing, confident and loved football. Now I m bitter, twisted, pessimistic and generally unsufferable when it comes to football which has become a penance. There is nt a day goes by that those All Ireland losses, particular 89,96 and 97 dont come flashing back to sicken me. I would happily shoot Mr *** ** ****** for what he did to us in 96, the worst of the lot.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 30, 2008, 12:37:24 PM
I'd say Seamus is who Lynchbhoy is talking about, although I'm not sure if Seamus describes himself as a recovering alcoholic. I think he just had a period of binging, and had to go to London to get away from things.

He is back on track now, and looked great before the 25th Anniversary celebrations.

A lot of People tend to forget that Seamus was a key forward on the 1972 team, and won an All Ireland with them 10 years before the infamous 5 in a row final. He didn't go off the rails after that one. It's sad that when he was 10 years older he was less able to handle what happened, but fair play to him for getting his life back in order.

As you said, a lot of this is in various interviews with Seamus himself, so I'm not divulging anything that would be a 'secret'. We should be careful about that if anyone else is mentioned.
It was Seamus, and he was/is a nice bloke.
Think it was himself that said that the problem after the AI in 82 was that every pub he went into , people would not stop buying him drink, for years after.

Fellas would be OTT on drink but it seemed that winning an AI assisted in wrecking marraiges more freq.

Also a very ugly member of the meath squad decided upon winning an AI medal that he 'could do better' than the girl he was engaged to , so he broke it off.
When he found that All Ireland medals still dont make you half decent looking, he had to go back after the ex a few months later and beg to get her back!