Laois Senior Football Championship 2019

Started by The PRO, February 28, 2019, 09:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

Court wood gave Kilcruise a bit of a trimming. Big game against the neighbours next for Kilcruise while Courtwood can test themselves against the town
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: redsetanta on July 31, 2019, 09:04:16 PM
Court wood gave Kilcruise a bit of a trimming. Big game against the neighbours next for Kilcruise while Courtwood can test themselves against the town

Bit surprised at that score-line. Fair play to Courtwood, few young players on that team that should be in with the Laois seniors next year.

As for Kilcruise, surely it's time they go back in with Killeen and give themselves some future. Neither will be challenging anytime soon if the situation continues, and Kilcruise will be doing well to avoid relegation now.

Keyser Söze

Can they trouble Portlaoise the next day?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

The PRO

Quote from: Keyser Söze on July 31, 2019, 11:03:19 PM
Can they trouble Portlaoise the next day?
Doubt it. More a case of Arles being very very fragile defensively. Can't see there being less than 10 points in it.
That said, fine display by Cwood. All bar one point out of 4-14 from play. Young Niall Dunne was unreal good.

Keyser Söze

As a total outsider to this topic.....is a young, athletic, confident and technically able team not exactly what Portlaoise need to test them?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Jd

Arles looked to control O Flynn by any means including off the ball digs but they neglected to handle Dunne who has the makings of a serious footballer. Courtwood have serious pace going forward but I can't see them troubling the town. They brought in a young lad on Ross with about 20 to go and he looked like a really sticky corner back. They have survived so I'd say that's their main objective

High Fielder

The game last night was men against boys, or boys against grandads maybe. Kilcruise/Killeen/Barrowhouse are digging each others graves and yet they've already found the solution in Na Fianna Og. They could have a very nice thing going on there, or of course they could keep digging

Laoiseabu

Quote from: High Fielder on August 01, 2019, 06:43:39 AM
The game last night was men against boys, or boys against grandads maybe. Kilcruise/Killeen/Barrowhouse are digging each others graves and yet they've already found the solution in Na Fianna Og. They could have a very nice thing going on there, or of course they could keep digging
I've a funny feeling they will keep digging until each and everyone of them are in coffins .

Countyminor

Some great people involved in both Arles clubs but if they continue to let a family feud or whatever it is divide them then they're being shortsighted in the absolute extreme. It's time to build bridges for the sake of their best players, supporters and young lads coming through. Laois football needs credible opposition to Portlaoise, and with the talent both clubs still have at their disposal they could provide it in the short term at the very least.

The PRO

Quote from: Countyminor on August 01, 2019, 11:05:11 AM
Some great people involved in both Arles clubs but if they continue to let a family feud or whatever it is divide them then they're being shortsighted in the absolute extreme. It's time to build bridges for the sake of their best players, supporters and young lads coming through. Laois football needs credible opposition to Portlaoise, and with the talent both clubs still have at their disposal they could provide it in the short term at the very least.
I would have always admired Arles Kilcruise for how they dug out a senior title and a couple(?) of final appearances on top of that. Killeen too made the best use of their resources and with the transfers they also did well.

But surely now the time has come for both of them to at least talk about putting a plan in place to somehow eventually rejoin in some shape or form. Even if they wanted to retain their own clubs but put in a joint senior team it might improve standards in the area. Maybe Barrowhouse could come on board too.

Jd

It all comes back to underage football courtwood last night finished with either seven or eight under 20s I think Arles probably had seven or 8 over 35. They have a good set up between Courtwood and Emo at under age with Saint Pauls I know that Arles have a couple of good teams coming through with nà Fianna Òg now so the future could be a lot better if they just put their heads together and work it out. I hope they do as there are a lot of very dedicated football man up there.

Laoiseabu

Just to clarify . Na Fianna Og is Arles Killeen , Arles Kilcruise, Barrowhouse and Crettyard. Would an amalgamation at senior include all four clubs ??

Don Draper

Quote from: Laoiseabu on August 01, 2019, 12:51:16 PM
Just to clarify . Na Fianna Og is Arles Killeen , Arles Kilcruise, Barrowhouse and Crettyard. Would an amalgamation at senior include all four clubs ??
3 Senior Clubs amalgamated underage!

Countyminor

Which club decided to break up the Crettyard/Killeshin setup? I've heard conflicting reports on this...

blueandwhite1

The structure of the Laois SF championship drive some of the club structures. Far too many senior teams, many of which are way off the standard which impacts the quality of the championship.

Not that it's perfect but the standard of the hurling championship rose a good bit when they reduced to 8 senior teams and created senior A. Full amalgamations over the last 15 years have also had an invigorating effect. There are some die hards from Boris or Rathdowney that still hate the idea but they have not been allowed to overrule the majority view. Would be good to see this in football too.