Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on July 10, 2020, 01:47:17 PM
Who or what positions would United be targeting with potential transfers do you's reckon? Has the attacking half of the pitch finally got sorted or is still a dodgy area if an injury or two creeps up?

The latter, one of the options off the bench is loanee or be it he has done well.

Europa league draw done today.

United already into the quarter final with 5-0 1st leg lead v LASK.

Quarter final 10-11 August

Man United v Istanbul Basaksehir/Copenhagen

Semi final 16-17 August

Man United/Istanbul Basaksehir/Copenhagen v Olympiakos/Wolves/Sevilla/Roma

Final if United reach it the possible opponents are Inter Milan/Getafe, Rangers/Bayer Leverkusen, Wolfsburg/Shakhtar Donetsk, Eintracht Frankfurt/Basel.  Most would expect Inter to come through there but I wouldn't rule out a German club.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 10, 2020, 02:14:37 PM
Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on July 10, 2020, 01:47:17 PM
Who or what positions would United be targeting with potential transfers do you's reckon? Has the attacking half of the pitch finally got sorted or is still a dodgy area if an injury or two creeps up?

The latter, one of the options off the bench is loanee or be it he has done well.

Europa league draw done today.

United already into the quarter final with 5-0 1st leg lead v LASK.

Quarter final 10-11 August

Man United v Istanbul Basaksehir/Copenhagen

Semi final 16-17 August

Man United/Istanbul Basaksehir/Copenhagen v Olympiakos/Wolves/Sevilla/Roma

Final if United reach it the possible opponents are Inter Milan/Getafe, Rangers/Bayer Leverkusen, Wolfsburg/Shakhtar Donetsk, Eintracht Frankfurt/Basel.  Most would expect Inter to come through there but I wouldn't rule out a German club.

Any one of those teams would give Utd their fill of it from either side of that draw..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Maroon Manc

I hope they go after Sancho, can't rely on having 3 quality players up front. Liverpool have got away with it but its very rare that a top team will. Dortmund won't hang on to their prized asset when he has 2 years left on his contract, his value will diminish over the next 12 months.

I don't see United buying a centre half for big money this summer, even if they wanted to I'm not sure who's out there. Koulibally is 29 and will cost a fortune, don't see United making a transfer like that this summer.

All of Ole's buys have been a success so far, paid £20m too much for Maguire but not sure what the alternative was; It would be nice if he was backed this summer and United could bring in someone like Sancho and another top player but don't see it happening. Lets not forget Ole wanted Haaland too.

GJL

Chelsea and Leicester both beaten. 😬👀

magpie seanie

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 10, 2020, 07:10:48 PM
I hope they go after Sancho, can't rely on having 3 quality players up front. Liverpool have got away with it but its very rare that a top team will. Dortmund won't hang on to their prized asset when he has 2 years left on his contract, his value will diminish over the next 12 months.

I don't see United buying a centre half for big money this summer, even if they wanted to I'm not sure who's out there. Koulibally is 29 and will cost a fortune, don't see United making a transfer like that this summer.

All of Ole's buys have been a success so far, paid £20m too much for Maguire but not sure what the alternative was; It would be nice if he was backed this summer and United could bring in someone like Sancho and another top player but don't see it happening. Lets not forget Ole wanted Haaland too.

Absolutely. United had to buy him. They need another centre half better then him to be a really top side and I completely agree on Sancho. Talk of Grealish should be over now. A good Championship player is all that lad is to be fair. I do think United will bring in a couple of players this summer and they're very much needed.

Big game tonight. Need to keep winning.

screenexile

I thought Utd were back??? :o :o

Cunny Funt

Southampton to their credit were a well drilled team tonight and deserved their point. Not for the first time this season a missed opportunity for United when Chelsea and Leicester dropped points, the two goals conceded were very poor. Pogba at fault for the opener and woeful defending on that corner in the 6th minute of injury time.

A bad night all round for United with losing both Williams,Shaw injury and leaving Ole and co very light on full back options for Thursdays game.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: screenexile on July 13, 2020, 10:10:58 PM
I thought Utd were back??? :o :o

I think Utd will be legitimately happy with their current form 4W, 2D from the last 6 making them the form team of the competition.
Didn't see the game today, but conceding a 95th minute equaliser after going down to ten men through injury.

One point behind 3rd (GD +12 better than Chelsea) and level with Leicester after knocking net 13 goals off their GD advantage.

A win today would have left third place in their own hands, but still wouldn't back against them
Hasta la victoria siempre

Milltown Row2

Southampton were on a par with Utd for that game, but a draw was a fair result
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

An Watcher

Exactly, it was no smash and grab. Utd should content themselves with a point as they deserved no more or no less. Fair play to Southampton

Maroon Manc

Soton deserved the point, can have no complaints with the result although they should have been down 10 and have no idea again what VAR were thinking.

United still clearly a work in progress, the front 5 mean United can produce several moments of brilliance during a match but still lack the cohesion as a team to control a match against an inferior team. There's probably a good few reasons for that with one been this side hasn't played that many matches as a team and haven't had one test since they started together after the Spurs match.

I see many United fans on twitter during the match claiming Lindelof played well, I don't get it; For a centre half he's appalling in the air, loses far too many headers and his side of the pitch constantly attracts attention because of it and his lack of pace. . Factor in he's not quick either and its a bad combination. I'd probably need to watch some of the match again which won't happen but at first glance I thought United the United back 4 needed to be higher up the pitch in a game like this but it can't happen as the 2 centre half's lack genuine pace although Maguire is certainly quicker, his channel doesn't attract anywhere near enough attention.

magpie seanie

Easily the poorest performance since January and Southampton were well worth their point. United could never get a grip on the game in midfield. I thought when he took Pogba off it was a good move but it actually made things worse as did the substitutions that followed. I don't blame Ole for making the changes but it is worrying that fresh players didn't improve things. Always felt United needed that 3rd goal and could/should have got it. Romeu very lucky and thankfully didn't damage Greenwood seriously. Definitely Southampton were physically aggressive.

Lindelof isn't good enough. I know slow motion can sometimes be unfair but just what he was doing for the late goal (applies to Maguire also!!!) I'll never know. I have some sympathy for Pogba on the first because DeGea should have realised the short kick outs weren't going to work against a very aggressive press. Southampton had 6 guys pushed right up yet United persisted with pasiing around in their own box.

So it's whether this is the start of a trend or simply an aberration. Thursday's game is massive.

5times5times

Why did they not replace williams? They had only used 4 subs at that stage. With Bailly + Ighalo on the bench.. Shambolic defending.

Fernandes  + Greenwood very poor. How many crosses/corners, does Fernandes hit into the first man?

Back 4, is what will cause Utd to never contest with city + pool.. Maguire+Lindelof, 1 is awful in the air, 1 is as slow as a tug-boat.

Only saving grace is that Leicester play Sheff Utd + Spurs before playing Utd.

snoopdog

Quote from: 5times5times on July 14, 2020, 09:36:58 AM
Why did they not replace williams? They had only used 4 subs at that stage. With Bailly + Ighalo on the bench.. Shambolic defending.

Fernandes  + Greenwood very poor. How many crosses/corners, does Fernandes hit into the first man?

Back 4, is what will cause Utd to never contest with city + pool.. Maguire+Lindelof, 1 is awful in the air, 1 is as slow as a tug-boat.

Only saving grace is that Leicester play Sheff Utd + Spurs before playing Utd.
Some rule about the 5 ubstitutions can only be used  in 3 windows. Utd had used 3 substitution windows. Possibly half time is an extra one.

johnnycool

Quote from: johnnycool on July 02, 2020, 09:03:44 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 01, 2020, 08:43:37 PM
The problem Utd still have is winning games at one nil! They still give away too many cheap goals, while they have put in some decent performances they've drawn some games where they should have been outta sight

even as crap as Brighton were the other night, that Utd team coughed up some decent chances for Brighton the better teams put away.

There's still a bit of work in progress with this team.

United are most definitely a counterattacking team now and they're pretty good at it, but the amount of possession afforded to Southampton at Old Trafford was unreal. better teams than them will make many more chances and punish that defence accordingly.

Still a good bit away from challenging for the title IMO.

Two centre back required for a start.