building a house

Started by JPF, July 23, 2009, 01:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: illdecide on May 11, 2020, 11:35:29 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 11, 2020, 10:06:00 AM
A friend of mine is have a sun room extension done 3x3m that way he doesn't needed planning permission apparently, 14,000 and he's doing the wiring himself and family doing the plumbing. I'd imagine one radiator and lighting and a socket or two required for that space.

Would it cost that much if you did all the donkey work? Foundations sourced the materials, paying a bricky to take it to roof level and a joiner for the his end and so on?

Don't know the in's and out's of planning but i was always under the impression any permanent structure that extrudes from the dwelling that was not part of the original planning would need permission. Unless there are special rules for sun rooms (genuinely not sure)
If you were doing your own foundations would you be competent enough to know how far down to dig and what type of foundations to use? Not being a d**k here just asking.

I'd have very good direction on that side of things, my brother was a bricklayer for 20 years before he downed tools and changed jobs, my youngest brother is a bricklayer and my dad was a bricklayer and had his own squad for many's a year, so plenty advice on the founds I hope and two skilled brickies and I laboured first my dad for over a year when the yard closed.

I was surprised also on the planning, that's why I put a question mark on it, still not sure but the lad getting it done is an electrical contractor.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 12, 2020, 08:11:59 AM
Quote from: illdecide on May 11, 2020, 11:35:29 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 11, 2020, 10:06:00 AM
A friend of mine is have a sun room extension done 3x3m that way he doesn't needed planning permission apparently, 14,000 and he's doing the wiring himself and family doing the plumbing. I'd imagine one radiator and lighting and a socket or two required for that space.

Would it cost that much if you did all the donkey work? Foundations sourced the materials, paying a bricky to take it to roof level and a joiner for the his end and so on?

Don't know the in's and out's of planning but i was always under the impression any permanent structure that extrudes from the dwelling that was not part of the original planning would need permission. Unless there are special rules for sun rooms (genuinely not sure)
If you were doing your own foundations would you be competent enough to know how far down to dig and what type of foundations to use? Not being a d**k here just asking.

I'd have very good direction on that side of things, my brother was a bricklayer for 20 years before he downed tools and changed jobs, my youngest brother is a bricklayer and my dad was a bricklayer and had his own squad for many's a year, so plenty advice on the founds I hope and two skilled brickies and I laboured first my dad for over a year when the yard closed.

I was surprised also on the planning, that's why I put a question mark on it, still not sure but the lad getting it done is an electrical contractor.

Planning regulations allow permitted development for extensions to dwellings without requiring planning permission.  A side extension can be up to 4 metres in height and less than half the width of the original house.

In a single storey extension :-a.  the extension does not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house by more than 4 metres for a detached house or 3 metres for any other type of house; b.   the height of the extension does not exceed 4 metres; c.   no part of the extension is within 3.5 metres of any property boundary with a road opposite the rear wall of the house.

In an extension with more than one storey: -a.  the extension does not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house by more than 3 metres; b.   no part of the extension is within 7 metres of the property boundary opposite the rear wall of the house; c.   the roof pitch of the enlargement is as far as practicable the same as that of the original house.

quit yo jibbajabba

Sorry to hijack thread - do garages (standard size pretty much) need planning permission El Cuervo?

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on May 12, 2020, 03:48:15 PM
Sorry to hijack thread - do garages (standard size pretty much) need planning permission El Cuervo?

Depending on the size, but you can build a garage without needing Planning Permission if you meet the following criteria:

The garage is used for domestic purposes only. 
The ground area covered by the garage/car port and any other buildings within the boundary of the property, excluding the original house, is not more than half the total area of the property.
No part of the garage is in front of the principal or side elevation of the original house that faces onto a road.
The maximum height of the garage/car port is 4 metres.
The maximum eaves height of the garage/car port is 2.5 metres if it is within 2 metres of the property boundary.
No part of the garage is within 3.5 metres of the boundary with a road to the rear of the house.

quit yo jibbajabba

Great stuff El Cuervo ta v much i think all this i can work with

Good man

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on May 12, 2020, 07:25:45 PM
Great stuff El Cuervo ta v much i think all this i can work with

Good man

Not a bother.  :)

giveherlong

Quote from: clarshack on May 10, 2020, 09:59:55 PM
What would you expect to pay for the erection and dismantling of scaffolding and per week hire? Mid ulster area.

Probably work out cheaper to buy it second hand and sell on when finished
If you are waiting on tradesmen you wouldn't want to be paying by the week

From the Bunker

Quote from: giveherlong on May 12, 2020, 10:53:34 PM
What would you expect to pay for the erection and dismantling of scaffolding and per week hire? Mid ulster area.

Yes! Have had first hand experience of this!

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: giveherlong on May 12, 2020, 10:53:34 PM

Def cheaper to buy and flog it on at the end. You won't lose money and depending on what way the building game is you could make a couple of quid on it. If you stick it up yourself you are into health and safety territory especially if something happens. To be right the scaffolding needs to have a ticket to certify it has been put up correctly. You'd need a scaffolding company to do that and most will only do it if they supply and erect the scaffolding. For a standard house you could be looking around £1k to put the scaffolding up and ticket it, £100 a week hire and £1k to take it all down again. That's very rough approximation of costs. The real killer is having scaffolding up and men not coming near you for weeks or months and you paying the hire on it.

You can buy your own and stick it up and hope that nothing happens as you could be in a sticky spot with insurance if it did. If you know someone in a scaffolding company they might be willing to ticket it for you but most won't want to do this if you have put it up yourself.

The joke is you'll have a plaster come in and they beat the bars of the scaffolding everywhere anyway regardless as they are in their way. It'll be held up with string when they are finished. Like a giant game of jenga.....lol.

Taylor

Going to put solar panels on the shed out the back.

Any recommendations in the North would do this or any do/dont on solar panels?

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: Taylor on June 08, 2020, 12:10:42 PM
Going to put solar panels on the shed out the back.

Any recommendations in the North would do this or any do/dont on solar panels?

While I can't recommend them I have come across these guys a few times in the past speaking to them myself as I was looking into these at one point:

https://www.solarfix.co.uk/

Without any grants or ROC's payments at the minute I don't know if the investment in them has any real payback. I'd like to understand teh payback of these a bit more at the minute myself.

WT4E

Can't decide on air source heat pump or traditional oil boiler

I like the idea of having lower heating bills and having one bill for heating and electric but is the additional cost worth this and has anyone had any experience with these. I am obviously getting the sales pitch from a couple of companies.

Need to make up my mind as NIE need to price how much my connection will be and this will be a factor.

redzone

How much is the air source

WT4E

Air Source Heat Pump is £3500-4000 more expensive.

Putting in underfloor heating either way but it suppose to be more efficient with a heat pump. However not sure about hot water temps with ASHP

gander

Quote from: WT4E on June 26, 2020, 09:52:06 AM
Air Source Heat Pump is £3500-4000 more expensive.

Putting in underfloor heating either way but it suppose to be more efficient with a heat pump. However not sure about hot water temps with ASHP
I have one and hot water isnt an issue, 55 degrees or more if wanted.  the hot water tank still has a built in emersion to bring the temp above what the heat pump can give - has to to disinfect it