The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: Hardy on March 27, 2019, 05:29:34 PM
When it comes to charts, this is the one that more or less explains Trump and the ability of the cynical right to mobilise the desperate and the stupid as personified by the likes of Dolph.

Complicated question. Is it a purely American phenomenon? How much of that is down to mechanization and technological advances? Off-shoring of manufacturing? In the US, the Federal Reserve's prioritization of inflation concerns? The right's insistence that unions, minimum wages, worker/consumer safety, taxes on the wealthy and the like are the epitome of evil, while at the same time doubling down on guns and gays and immigrants and muslims as the real problems facing "real" Americans?

Hardy

Quote from: J70 on March 27, 2019, 06:40:43 PM
When it comes to charts, this is the one that more or less explains Trump and the ability of the cynical right to mobilise the desperate and the stupid as personified by the likes of Dolph.

Complicated question. Is it a purely American phenomenon? How much of that is down to mechanization and technological advances? Off-shoring of manufacturing? In the US, the Federal Reserve's prioritization of inflation concerns? The right's insistence that unions, minimum wages, worker/consumer safety, taxes on the wealthy and the like are the epitome of evil, while at the same time doubling down on guns and gays and immigrants and muslims as the real problems facing "real" Americans?

Seafoid would have a better insight but my take on your questions:

Is it US only?
I haven't seen charts for other economies but anecdotally the same phenomenon pervades the developed Western economies and has been referred to as a driver of the disaffection that brought Brexit and the rise of the hard right in Europe.

What is it down to:
All that you mentioned but, for me, the key point is that economic policy allowed all the improvements in productivity brought by automation and globalisation to be transferred to capital, not to reinvestment in employment producing activity  and certainly not to improving conditions for working people, never mind the underprivileged, whose welfare programmes have actually been cut.

As I said here before, spectacular gains in productivity since the 80s have ALL gone to capital, working people are worse off than they were then and that is the fertile soil in which xenophobia, racism and fascism grow. That is the breeding ground for Brexit and Trump.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: J70 on March 27, 2019, 04:03:27 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 27, 2019, 03:48:29 PM
Economy is booming g despite your skewed stats.

Boston and especially Philadelphia plus Orlando have much improved visibly in past few years

..are you away to tout on me now??

:)

Skewed stats? That's it?! ;D

You really are embracing the reactionary, alternative facts reality of the right, aren't you?!  ;)

And I didn't tout on anyone. I simply advised the other lad to fight fire with fire (dolph reported HIM first, in case you weren't paying attention).
Twas fcuk all to do with you...

Let those two ( it's only two.. eamon/sid and dolph)  fight it out... you are akin to the little schoolgirl going squealing to the teacher... or a tout to the ruc/PSNI

As for the economy being better... sure you wint admit tango trump didn't collude with Russia..  you're hardly the poster boy for straight talking and objectivity

seafoid

Quote from: J70 on March 27, 2019, 06:40:43 PM

It's neoliberalism basically

Same in the UK and in France. Everywhere has the same system.
The system is very poor at generating growth. Money is taken from
the bottom 90% in various forms of rent seeking (healthcare, housing, big profit margins) and it goes to the top.

In the last few years in the UK period poverty has become an issue . It is an economic system problem

https://www.freeperiods.org/mission

The US is even more extreme.

Phil Cofer plays for the Florida State basketball team now in Sweet Sixteen of the immensely profitable NCAA tournament. His family can't afford the medical bills and funeral expenses for his Dad, who died a few days ago

An excess of 7 million Americans were at least three months behind on their car payments at the end of 2018.

Macron is going to cut 120,000 civil service jobs in France.

The United Nations has condemned Ireland for allowing multinational vulture funds to buy up vast swathes of properties and then rent them out at sky-high costs

Food bank in the UK use up from 40,000 packages in 2010 to 1,300,000 last year, homelessness up 165% and 500,000 more children in poverty.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

J70

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 27, 2019, 07:38:21 PM

Boston and especially Philadelphia plus Orlando have much improved visibly in past few years

You really are embracing the reactionary, alternative facts reality of the right, aren't you?!  ;)

And I didn't tout on anyone. I simply advised the other lad to fight fire with fire (dolph reported HIM first, in case you weren't paying attention).

Let those two ( it's only two.. eamon/sid and dolph)  fight it out... you are akin to the little schoolgirl going squealing to the teacher... or a tout to the ruc/PSNI

As for the economy being better... sure you wint admit tango trump didn't collude with Russia..  you're hardly the poster boy for straight talking and objectivity

I've said little to nothing, either way, about Trump and Russia over the past two or so years. I don't really care. I'm much more concerned about his appalling policy agenda and shocking personal conduct as president.

And I've never claimed to be the poster boy for anything. I seriously doubt there are many who go looking out for my contributions. But I'm not a troll. I don't post inflammatory shit just to get a reaction. I don't do hit and run posting, shamelessly moving on and not acknowledging when someone presents something legitimately contradictory. I try not to offer opinions on anything I know little about and I do try to support my points.

Like most people here, in other words.

But it only takes one or two arseholes to derail a thread.

As for squealing, we are not in school. I don't really give a bollocks about playground ethics.

Dolph1

Quote from: J70 on March 27, 2019, 07:59:40 PM
As for squealing, we are not in school. I don't really give a bollocks about playground ethics.

Fixed
Trump 2020. Making America Greater Again

Eamonnca1

DrinkingHarp

So the Pentagon is now part of Mexico?

The pentagon will transfer $1 billion to fund 57 miles of fencing at $17,543,859.65 per mile or $3,322.72 per linear foot!!

$17.6 million cut from Special Olympics or 1 mile of border fencing.
tRump has cut funding for education for the third year in a row.

MAGA   :o
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

lynchbhoy

I've said little to nothing, either way, about Trump and Russia over the past two or so years. I don't really care. I'm much more concerned about his appalling policy agenda and shocking personal conduct as president.

And I've never claimed to be the poster boy for anything. I seriously doubt there are many who go looking out for my contributions. But I'm not a troll. I don't post inflammatory shit just to get a reaction. I don't do hit and run posting, shamelessly moving on and not acknowledging when someone presents something legitimately contradictory. I try not to offer opinions on anything I know little about and I do try to support my points.

...yet you enact it

As bad a troll as the rest...

J70

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 28, 2019, 10:17:53 PM

...yet you enact it

As bad a troll as the rest...

Enact what?

Eamonnca1

It's alright, lads. Fox News has just given us the best news yet. Trump is "cutting US aid to three Mexican countries."

J70

Apparently Trump was mouthing off last night about wind turbines and the noise they produce causing cancer. Who knew? ;D

Wonder what his thoughts are on emissions from fossil fuels, which actually do contain carcinogenic constituents?

mrdeeds

The President of America can't say the word origins, doesn't know where his father was born and thinks babies are being cremated at birth. Must be chem trails or flouride in water.