Leinster U-20 Football Championship 2019

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, April 23, 2019, 02:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silkyskillssunshinee

I thought Meath, after beating a fancied Offaly team, would be far better than that. I think they had a number of U-18's starting tonight. They'll probably be better next year.

Our forward unit didn't work in tandem tonight, especially in the second half. Whelan is a serious prospect, but his shot selection at times can be off. I'd say Kinsella was our best forward tonight, he works hard and utilises the ball well. A couple of other lads mixed the good with the bad. Owens has to be close to starting, he's looked very lively when he's come on the last few games.

Tyrell and Dunne are a good midfield partnership, both can offer something at senior level next year. That said, the Meath midfield were poor. I'd imagine Dublin will have midfielders in the make-up of Brian Fenton, big and mobile. They'll need to step it up for that.

Some of our backs were outstanding. The Portlaoise lad Dowling is small in stature but is very quick and well able to get stuck in. My man of the match would be Lacey though, won nearly every ball coming out and is well able to play ball as well. O'Flynn is a big plus to have at this grade as well. Also, Byron's distribution was very good, and he made a few good saves.

The final against Dublin will be a big step up on this, they won Leinster with that bunch at minor and probably should've made an All-Ireland final. Ciaran Archer I can remember ran the show when our U-17's lost to them last year, so Lacey will need to be at his best to stop him at full-forward.

Best of luck to the lads in the final, seem to be a talented bunch with good attitudes.

Laois fan

Very impressive performance did what they had to do and then eased up which is understandable.lacey is a big powerful pacey full back,fair dues to o flynn he fully commits to everything,backs as a whole defended excellently and moved the ball out very well.Coffey was pick of the forwards putting in a serious shift prob not whelans best game but still kicked two super points,barry was a bit rusty which is understandable given lack of games.Think we only kicked three balls into Dan getting 1.1 from it,while hes not a constant threat he is just a constant worry for opposition

on the hop

This is a good group to keep together, there is a basis of a senior team if developed. I think a good few are underage again next year. U-17 team in 2017 was

Gorman, dowling, o Flynn, Mohane, horgan, saunders, slevin, Rogers, swayne, Brophy, Coffey, McCaul,Barry, Dunne and Owens.

Chrimtain

Just goes to show that winning minor titles is not a prerequisite.

If we can bring these guys into a setup under John Sugrue, the future might be bright.

Chrimtain

I see someone on the Hoganstand site suggests that 'Laois easily beat meath and will face Dublin who Hammered wexford to make the final. Should be an easy leinster final win for the Dubs. They've dominated u20/21 in Leinster over the last 10 years and will continue to do so. The rest of us have no chance'.

Are Dublin that far ahead at this level?

Giovanni

They'll have to be pretty good to beat this team.

Laoiseabu

Quote from: Chrimtain on July 10, 2019, 09:51:37 AM
I see someone on the Hoganstand site suggests that 'Laois easily beat meath and will face Dublin who Hammered wexford to make the final. Should be an easy leinster final win for the Dubs. They've dominated u20/21 in Leinster over the last 10 years and will continue to do so. The rest of us have no chance'.

Are Dublin that far ahead at this level?
Dublin are not as far ahead as everyone at this level as everyone thinks . Sure didn't Kildare beat them in the Leinster minor final last week aswell. The only level where Dublin are far ahead is senior but that's an exceptional bunch . We have a chance in the final although it will be a big step up from Meath . Their full foward CiarĂ¡n Archer is the man doing all the damage so billy needs to come up with a strategy to nullify him .

Don Draper

Quote from: Giovanni on July 10, 2019, 09:57:09 AM
They'll have to be pretty good to beat this team.
They've beaten kildare and Meath, safe to say they're pretty good.

Giovanni

I think you're talking about a different "they".

Don Draper

Don Draper

Quote from: Giovanni on July 10, 2019, 11:59:10 AM
Not really.
Dublin will need to be pretty good to beat Laois.
Laois will need to be pretty good to beat Dublin.

Tony

It's amazing what 2 years can do. 2 years ago the consensus was that Laois football was on the way down will no end in sight. No players up coming. Aging team. Division 4 and maybe stay there for most of the next 5-10 years. But now the U-20's are in the Leinster final with a decent shot against Dublin, we've been in the last 12 in senior the last couple of years, and we're back up to where we belong in senior league - Div 2. I didn't see it coming, but it's great. A lot of great work has gone on behind the scenes, respect and congrats to all who have made it happen. Long may it continue.

Silkyskillssunshinee

O'Connor Park Friday week. Should be a super game of football, by far the two best teams left. I'd like to see Owen's starting because I think he offers something a bit different up front. He's a real direct runner, while some of the other are more passers than runners.

I'd say Billy will probably go with the same team though. It will be interesting to see what Dublin do with Big Dan. Meath had quite a small chap on him. Dublin probably have someone bigger to mark him.

High Fielder

Until I've seen this team functioning to its optimum, no team really frightens me. We mixed the sublime with the ridiculous last night, and we won easily. On form lines, which are not always a good gauge, we have nothing to fear. It's Dublin. They deserve respect because you expect Dublin to have good teams, but this is a good team and I'm convinced there's more to come from them. It would be great if they could peak Friday week, but I'm nagged by Mullingar and the underwhelming second half last night. We should have put Meath to the sword and we didn't. I saw a bit of ruthlessness in Newbridge, but not since. All these teams would put us out the gate given the chance, so if we get a similar opportunity, we should drive the nail in deep. Win, lose or draw, they're a good crop. I'd like to think they are more than capable of getting some silverware, and my only hope is that they don't have regrets at the final whistle. I'm looking forward to it already.