Laois u21 Hurling Championship 2016

Started by HurlingCountry, November 07, 2016, 12:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HurlingCountry

Quote from: Don Draper on November 19, 2016, 09:06:29 AM
Quote from: HurlingCountry on November 19, 2016, 02:05:02 AM
The ballinakill game was no way to tell how good Borris Kilcotton were. I thought ballinakill would be half decent but they were piss poor. While Borris Kilcotton may look strong on paper it will be interesting to see how they perform as a team against one of the big hitters in Portlaoise. On the other hand Ballinakill seem to be having some serious problems underage especially considering they have to join up with slieve margie who already consist of five clubs amalgamated. Its a shame to see how they cant produce 15 decent hurlers from the club alone. Has anyone any reasons why they cant?
Are you on a wind up? Ballinakill have one of the best nurseries going in Laois at the moment.

As for Slieve Margy being 5 clubs, would you ever cop the f**k on for yourself.

A team only being able to field 16 players don't sound like much of a nursery to me. Maybe at other grades but certainly not u21 anyway. Were the poorest team I've seen in probably the last 10 years.
And as for Slieve Margie there's Josephs, Ballylinan, Kilcruise, Kileen, Crettyard. There count them up.....Oh wait I forgot Barrowhouse. I think that's six if my maths are correct

Keyser Söze

The ballinakill game was no way to tell how good Borris Kilcotton were. I thought ballinakill would be half decent but they were piss poor. While Borris Kilcotton may look strong on paper it will be interesting to see how they perform as a team against one of the big hitters in Portlaoise. On the other hand Ballinakill seem to be having some serious problems underage especially considering they have to join up with slieve margie who already consist of five clubs amalgamated. Its a shame to see how they cant produce 15 decent hurlers from the club alone. Has anyone any reasons why they cant?
Are you on a wind up? Ballinakill have one of the best nurseries going in Laois at the moment.

There is an element of truth in what ye both said.
There is a huge hole over there at the moment from 15 to 22/3. Seamus Fitzpatrick and Sean Downey probably the exceptions.
Those James Walshes age are going to have to stick around for another 5/6 years. Be interesting to see if they can hold senior.

The Harps thing was really stupid from a Ballinakill perspective. At least they saw sense and they have some great people leading it at the moment.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Ballyroan Abbey

In fairness to ballinakill they have easily the smallest pick from the senior clubs, although they have taken players from spink in the last few year which is why they are fiwlding teams by themselves at the moment. They are a bit like arles kilcruise in the foottball in that they have had to maximise their resources to the very limit and have got the most they couls out of what they had. As for staying together the thing they have going for them is that they have the best player in the county who has at least 10 years left of being a top quality player

Don Draper

Quote from: HurlingCountry on November 20, 2016, 03:42:01 AM

A team only being able to field 16 players don't sound like much of a nursery to me. Maybe at other grades but certainly not u21 anyway. Were the poorest team I've seen in probably the last 10 years.
And as for Slieve Margie there's Josephs, Ballylinan, Kilcruise, Kileen, Crettyard. There count them up.....Oh wait I forgot Barrowhouse. I think that's six if my maths are correct

You realise a nursery is U6-U12 right? I can't be sure, you appear a little slow.

Don Draper

Quote from: Keyser Söze on November 20, 2016, 10:16:10 AM

There is an element of truth in what ye both said.
There is a huge hole over there at the moment from 15 to 22/3. Seamus Fitzpatrick and Sean Downey probably the exceptions.
Those James Walshes age are going to have to stick around for another 5/6 years. Be interesting to see if they can hold senior.

The Harps thing was really stupid from a Ballinakill perspective. At least they saw sense and they have some great people leading it at the moment.

All they can do is work from ground up which is what they're doing. In the meantime they need to keep everything going as best they can. They'll be the better for it in the years to come.

tcrilly

Quote from: Ballyroan Abbey on November 20, 2016, 03:01:31 PM
In fairness to ballinakill they have easily the smallest pick from the senior clubs, although they have taken players from spink in the last few year which is why they are fiwlding teams by themselves at the moment. They are a bit like arles kilcruise in the foottball in that they have had to maximise their resources to the very limit and have got the most they couls out of what they had. As for staying together the thing they have going for them is that they have the best player in the county who has at least 10 years left of being a top quality player

Yes that's very true, they had 4-5 guys playing senior in the championship that were also junior b winners over Kyle I think it was, there is no proper jobs in Laois so small clubs will continue to struggle unfortunately, iv heard an unconfirmed rumor that ballinakill are going the 'gaels' route with slieve bloom

Ogie

So what's the verdict before the last hurling final of the year?
I think Borris Kilcotton just have too much talent & experience but if one team could cause an upset it would be this skill full hardworking Ballacolla team
It would cap off some year for Borris Kilcotton

merman

Clough/Ballacolla might have had a small chance of holding Borris/Kilcotton but the loss of Lee Cleere is surely critical.

This is as strong an u21 team as I've seen in Laois in years. I can't see CB getting within 6 of BK....

clonadmad

Game called off

Thoughts with the family of the gentleman involved, R.I.P

Ogie

Final goes ahead tomorrow at 2pm in Rathdowney

Pity it's so late in the year, usually produces great hurling.

merman

Borris/Kilcotton won this by 10 in the end but they had to see off a gritty and spirited CB side who were right in it entering the last 10.

They made their class count in the end though and I think but for some questionable refereeing they might have been a little more comfortable a little earlier. The intensity was ferocious and you could see what it meant to players and mentors on both sides. Discipline was poor at times but thankfully for BK, having their midfielder sent off seemed to confuse and inhibit CB more than encourage them.

CB worked hard but they were a couple of players short and couldn't match up physicality anywhere really. They've lost Minor and U21 Finals this year but it's still hard to see them having enough coming through in the immediate future to supplement a senior team with a lot of miles on the clock.

A great year for Borris/Kilcotton and the nucleus off this team being so young, they really could dominate this grade over the next couple of years. BK are setting the standard in Laois right now and it's going to take a really good team to stop them pushing ahead and claiming more senior honours. I'd expect at least 5 of that team to start in the Leinster U21 championship next year.

Ogie

Merman yet again, nail on the head, I'd love to have a pint with you

I'm biased of course but I though the ref completely lost the plot after the early red card, having being put in that position by an over zealous lines man.

It made a massive battle of it, with the goals winning the game and breaking Ballacollas resistance,
BK could dominate if they harness the hurling, some serious operators on that team and mature hurlers for their age

redsetanta

The two Dunphy's are good hurlers but they look very slight for senior hurling. What age are these lads?

You would think that Borris could go on and become a driving force in the senior but it doesn't always work that way. It's very competitive and they would need to continue to stay working hard. That's the great thing about the senior championship, the fact that most teams feel they can win it which in turn pushes them that bit harder. It can only mean standards rising across the board which is good for the county.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

tcrilly

Quote from: redsetanta on December 05, 2016, 10:21:09 AM
The two Dunphy's are good hurlers but they look very slight for senior hurling. What age are these lads?

You would think that Borris could go on and become a driving force in the senior but it doesn't always work that way. It's very competitive and they would need to continue to stay working hard. That's the great thing about the senior championship, the fact that most teams feel they can win it which in turn pushes them that bit harder. It can only mean standards rising across the board which is good for the county.
They are 18 max

Ogie

I see Joe Campion named U21 hurler of the year, only challengers were some of his teammates really,
Aaron Dunphy, Daire Quinlan, Conor Kilbane, Eoin Fitzpatrick, Bill Meade