Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 08, 2019, 10:40:13 AM
Quote from: deadman on March 07, 2019, 05:22:48 PM
Quote from: tiempo on March 07, 2019, 01:25:56 PM
Saw Ger Cavlan score the most audacious point at Healy Park for Dungannon, won it out in front of defender who was up his arse, turned round to face the defender on the 45, was satationary defender poised for the next move, took a solo in standing position and 2 steps backwards, sent it over the bar outside of the left foot, absolutely no momentum aside from throwing the leg at it, and with the outside of his weaker foot, there was an audible gasp then ripple of applause from everyone, he was slightly off centre too so 45 plus a few yards for the diagonal, plus conditions, savage, obviously not the same sense of occasion as Dooher v Kerry but scores like those live long in the memory

The Dooher point is definitely one that stands out in my memory. Another point I can vividly remember was Stevie O'Neill v the Dubs in the league in the 125 anniversary game at Croker. Was lucky enough to be down that end of the Cusack lower tier and see it from along that line. He was about half a foot inside the endline, scarcely believable how he managed to put it between the posts.
Canavan in the '05 final under the Canal End stand was a remarkable score as well. Honourable mentions to Peter Harte's monster point in the Ulster Final v Donegal a few years ago in Clones, and Raymie Mulgrew sending a Dublin player down the road to the shop with a dummy before landing a peach in the 2007 game under lights.

Throw in the League final in Division 2 against Kildare where SON scored two or three of the best points you are ever likely to see.  His ability to score from acute angles from both sides off both feet was uncanny, plus his penalties were near perfect too, sort of curled them in behind the post.  Its a shame that he was ravaged was injuries because you could argue that we only really had a year or two when he was at his peak and injury free.

Definitely. O'Neill was the best point taker I saw play for Tyrone, better than Canavan IMO (Not better player). His ability to meet a ball with back to goal and turn and shoot was remarkable in addition to his scores from tight angles. Must have been a nightmare to mark.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: toby47 on March 08, 2019, 10:17:08 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 08, 2019, 10:06:21 AM
Quote from: southtyronegael on March 07, 2019, 08:51:02 PM
Can anyone tell me the current crop of forwards aren't as good as the ones that lifted Sam in 08?

The Current crop aren't as good as the ones that lifted Sam in 2008.

Starting 6 forwards in 08 final
B Dooher, M Penrose, Joe McMahon, T McGuigan, S Cavanagh, C McCullagh

Notable subs
Stephen O'Neill, Mulligan & Brian McGuigan

Imagine the meltdown on this board / twitter / facebook if that starting 6 had been announced with those 3 on the bench. Seems almost crazy to me looking back now. Penrose was in his peak in those days, McMahon very much so too. I nearly forgot about McCullagh too.

bigtogs

I heard Gavin Devlin is over the coaching of all the development squads....

GaelTheGael

Quote from: bigtogs on March 08, 2019, 03:04:18 PM
Big fallout at the country board meeting Monday night over this.
A lot of questions regarding how Gavin got this job asked that couldn't be answered.

GlenMan

Quote from: GaelTheGael on March 08, 2019, 07:12:03 PM
Big fallout at the country board meeting Monday night over this.
A lot of questions regarding how Gavin got this job asked that couldn't be answered.

I heard that the Dublin-Drumquin fellow, who made several accusations, made a complete tit of himself. 

southtyronegael

Benny hurl still in charge of the academies? He give his clubmate the job on the Qt?

rrhf

Right.  I'm not sure that is a good move.  Surely the negative defensive football philosophy that he has been associated with before would be best kept to 1 team.

bigtogs

Quote from: rrhf on March 09, 2019, 07:04:26 AM
Right.  I'm not sure that is a good move.  Surely the negative defensive football philosophy that he has been associated with before would be best kept to 1 team.

i agree with that..something not just sitting right with that appointment....

LeoMc

Quote from: bigtogs on March 09, 2019, 03:25:26 PM
Quote from: rrhf on March 09, 2019, 07:04:26 AM

i agree with that..something not just sitting right with that appointment....
Thought there was no money and coaches being let go. Now suddenly we have money to pay horse to do the same job!

rrhf

I understand it to be organised as a temporary role. Who else was in for it. How long is temporary?

barelegs

The job wasn't advertised from what I understand, hence the issues at the county executive and more than a few members feeling fairly miffed with the process or lack of a process. The county's handling of HR issues in the past year has left a lot to be desired.

In hiding

Does anyone know why Ryan Daly left?

southtyronegael

Cronyism alive and well in Tyrone.

trailer

There's been a mass exodus in the county board. People in similar positions in other counties are being better rewarded. Those Tyrone people are fed up with the county board and the in particular those in control of the purse strings and have jumped. Suppose you can only rely on goodwill for so long.

youhavenofans

Quote from: In hiding on March 10, 2019, 11:31:48 AM
Does anyone know why Ryan Daly left?

Was looking a pay rise and it was refused. Then Peter Donnelly got a pay rise and got 2 more S&C coaches in so he had less teams to manage. Daly then walked.