From the Bunker

Quote from: dublin7 on August 20, 2019, 10:34:09 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 20, 2019, 05:34:14 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on August 20, 2019, 04:18:13 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 20, 2019, 01:55:26 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on August 20, 2019, 01:45:11 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 20, 2019, 01:35:51 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on August 20, 2019, 01:22:32 PM
I am surprised this thread is still going, By reading the posts on here it is still hurting, lots of complaints and excuses.

Anyone want to summarise the excuses here:

Cork   0-17           Mayo   1-11   
Meath 0-12           Mayo   1-9               (Draw)
Meath 2-9           Mayo   1-11               (Replay)
Kerry   0-13           Mayo   1-7   
Kerry   1-20           Mayo   2-9   
Kerry   4-15           Mayo   3-5   
Donegal 2-11           Mayo   0-13   

Dublin 2-12            Mayo   1-14   
Dublin 2-9           Mayo   0-15   
Dublin 1-15           Mayo   1-14   
Dublin 1-17           Mayo   1-16

Not so long ago you could have put up the same stats about Dublin. But ye got a bit more help getting over the line with a litany of home fixtures and Financial doping!

I really hope ye win! A Kerry win would only prolong this madness for more years!

The above is finals only, Dublin were usually embarresed by the semis by Kerry, Tyrone and others, but the bottom line was Dublin were not good enough to win it and  i think that in most cases acceptable view held by the majority of Dublin fans, not excuses blaming everything and everyone before looking at themselves. However, if you talking early 90s, they did eventually get over the line. And i do believe Mayo have been good enought to win one, but have blown it.

If you are not good enough you are not good enough. Bar '96 and 2013-17 Mayo were a fair distance off winning Sam. Dublin lost a fair amount of Big Games where they had an above average group of players between 1983 and 2010. They had as much of a name for choking on the big day as Mayo have. There is a direct correlation with Dublins success in relation to them getting more home games and Financial help. You may not like to hear this but the stats prove it.

Best of luck next Sunday. I will be cheering ye.

There was a direct correlation between Tyrone and Kerry being better than Dublin and their victories in Croke Park, no excuses for Dublin!! Westmeath and Laois beat Dublin in Croke park back then as well as even then Dublin played all their games in Croker in that period (except for a few qualifiers)

You can then see these teams regressing through retirements of some of the best players ever to wear their county jersies. At the same time Dublin have seen all time great players come through. All this has played a part in Dublin's dominance, but sure it's just the money that has Dublin on top.

It is a bit worrying that you're supporting Dublin in the final (I just hope you're not going) When Mayo fans go to an All Ireland final to support their team on All Ireland day it never ends in victory.

The losses to Tyrone and Kerry were before the Doping Kicked in Pre-2011.  Look at the over whelming stats post that! As for me shouting for Dublin. I was shouting for them last year as well. Didn't do them any harm!

What a load of s**e. You could try make an argument for current players like O'Callaghan, Murchan, Scully coming through with thanks to funding but to claim it benefited the 2011 team is just more of your bitter and deluded nonsense. Alot of the 2011 team played in CROKE PARK when hammered out the gate by Tipp and Tyrone in earlier years. Gilroy changed the mentality of that team not money. You clearly missed that what with only hopping on the dublin bandwagon the last few years.

The 2011 bunch were molded by Gilroy. He made tough decisions and dropped some big names - and did it wholesale.  By this time Dublin had be half a decade playing home games in Croker. He brought Dublin to the top table. No doubt there! Probably a year or two before their time. The team today only marginally resembles the team of that era. Lads were dropped, retired, left or just faded away. We have been sold the Pup that this is a one in a generation team. It's not - it's now a evolving monster.  This evolving help by brilliant structures, home games, plenty of local work, great local sport facilities and loads and loads and loads of money. All the envy of us mere mortals.

You have AI finals and semi-finals in Croker where the you are automatically get the home dressing room. The warm up at the Hill! Christ - it's supposed to be a neutral venue game. Not even the mention of the toss of a coin.

Am I bitter! Yes! Are Kildare, Meath and all of Leinster Bitter? What do you expect? Do you want us to say that all this mountain load of money goingto Dublin is great. Isn't it great Dublin have won nearly 2 decades of Leinster titles in a row bar a blip in 2010. Isn't it great that they have nearly a decade of domination of the AI series. Isn't it great the AI series has never been as boring.

"Qu'ils mangent de la brioche"

sligoman2

This game is over.  Move on lads  accept defeat like we do every year  ??? ???
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

From the Bunker

Quote from: sligoman2 on August 21, 2019, 01:22:52 AM
This game is over.  Move on lads  accept defeat like we do every year  ??? ???

Move on to what? Defeat has been accepted. Feck off and mind your own business!

Farrandeelin

I am surprised this thread is still going, By reading the posts on here it is still hurting, lots of complaints and excuses.

Don't remember 1989, but my dad reckons John Finn's man played puck. And Anthony Finnertys's miss.

1996, draw, had Meath on the ropes for sure, then seemed to be afraid to go for the jugular. 1996 replay. McEnaney mistaking Colm Coyle for John McDermott. That and general shot selection trying to force another draw.

1997 - nothing scored for about 15 minutes. Wide after wide. No change from Holmes on Maurice Fitz.

2004, second quarter blitz from Kerry. Were lucky to beat Fermanagh in the semi so we should have known it wasn't going to be easy in hindsight.

2006... 2-4 down after 10 minutes. Impossible to recover.

2012. Donegal the better team. All Irelands aren't won in the first 10 minutes, but can be lost.

2013. Too many first half wides, Hennelys flap.

2016 draw. Did well enough. 2 own goals, what can you say. 2016 replay. Dublin were better than us on the day. However Hennelly made another clanger.

2017. Best performance I've seen by a losing team. Too many first half wides. 2013 went through my head at half time.

I've given up on seeing Mayo win an all Ireland. That won't stop me from going to matches watching the inevitable loss every summer.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

larryin89

2017. Best performance I've seen by a losing team. Too many first half wides. 2013 went through my head at half time.

I said it at ht to a neighbour of mine , ala 2013. We needed to be further ahead and should of been.

We probably won't see Mayo win it now but I don't believe the potential is not there to win all irelands . I don't believe the vision is there nor the culture . If you can't get men like young Irwin and o donoghue lad from belmullet to behave and buckle down , ''tis a bad sign on your leaders . Cathal Horan is another . Something very wrong and always has been in Mayo when you can't maximise on your elite players , Mayo has too small a pick to let any talent slip through .

You only have to observe some of the commentary over on the wj blog to understand men that have a say in Mayo football some are not even football men , they haven't a footing clue .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

TheGreatest

Thanks for the above honesty, i would never give up, think of the euphoria when it does happen.

Surprised nobody mentioned Donal Vaughan getting a straight red for striking John Small, Small was going to be sent off, all Donal Vaughan had to do was keep his head, hands  by his side and turn away but no, he couldnt resist. What a difference that would have made to Mayo, 15 v 14 with a good chunk of the game left.

bucko

Quote from: TheGreatest on August 21, 2019, 12:47:50 PM
Thanks for the above honesty, i would never give up, think of the euphoria when it does happen.

Surprised nobody mentioned Donal Vaughan getting a straight red for striking John Small, Small was going to be sent off, all Donal Vaughan had to do was keep his head, hands  by his side and turn away but no, he couldnt resist. What a difference that would have made to Mayo, 15 v 14 with a good chunk of the game left.
Plus a tap over free from the 21 that was reversed to a hop ball. Add to Cillian's free off the upright, Jason Doherty taking a shot for goal on Cluxton from too far out and Clarke kicking out over the sideline near the end. Enough moments there under the players' control to have made a difference. Nothing to do with refs, management or bad luck.

whitey

That was akin to John Madden letting the ball hop over the bar in '96. Tap over free reversed as well as the sending off. You can see AOS trying to pull Vaughan back. Car crash stuff

From the Bunker

Them's the breaks - made the other wise sending of of Small easy-peasy for the referee. All the same it is pretty sad depending on a sending off to win a game!

The biggest bottle of a decision was the pick up of the ball off of the ground at 19:16.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1jCLPqkkHQ

Referee and Linesman were never going to give such an important decision against the home team.

Now if it was the other way around..............................

Rossfan

Now that the Sam dream has died I suppose ye'll be taking the Connacht Championship seriously next year? ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Quote from: Rossfan on August 21, 2019, 01:27:39 PM
Now that the Sam dream has died I suppose ye'll be taking the Connacht Championship seriously next year? ::)

We will, until we don't win it. Then we'll be saying we were focusing on the AI championship only!

larryin89

Cillian, Diarmuid, Jason doc, kev mcglouhhlin, mcdonagh , Carr, Ryan o donoghue,Conor loftus, Brian reape, Conor diskin , ciaran tracey, Tommy conroy (neale) Liam Irwin , Adrian Orme,  all serious potential forwards , don't think we get the most out of what we've got and never have done , it's a forwards coach we need from cillian down we are not maxing out on ability.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: larryin89 on August 21, 2019, 12:13:54 PM

I said it at ht to a neighbour of mine , ala 2013. We needed to be further ahead and should of been.

We probably won't see Mayo win it now but I don't believe the potential is not there to win all irelands . I don't believe the vision is there nor the culture . If you can't get men like young Irwin and o donoghue lad from belmullet to behave and buckle down , ''tis a bad sign on your leaders . Cathal Horan is another . Something very wrong and always has been in Mayo when you can't maximise on your elite players , Mayo has too small a pick to let any talent slip through .

You only have to observe some of the commentary over on the wj blog to understand men that have a say in Mayo football some are not even football men , they haven't a footing clue .
You can't be serious.

larryin89

Quote from: Owenmoresider on August 21, 2019, 01:57:16 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on August 21, 2019, 12:13:54 PM

You can't be serious.

I knew someone would jump in there , yes Mayo have a small pick like everyone else compared to Dublin .  I'd love some of you guys to actually attend some Saturday mornings nurserys at the big Dublin clubs , this is a different world , different plannet.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: dublin7 on August 20, 2019, 10:34:09 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 20, 2019, 05:34:14 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on August 20, 2019, 04:18:13 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 20, 2019, 01:55:26 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on August 20, 2019, 01:45:11 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 20, 2019, 01:35:51 PM

Not so long ago you could have put up the same stats about Dublin. But ye got a bit more help getting over the line with a litany of home fixtures and Financial doping!

I really hope ye win! A Kerry win would only prolong this madness for more years!

The above is finals only, Dublin were usually embarresed by the semis by Kerry, Tyrone and others, but the bottom line was Dublin were not good enough to win it and  i think that in most cases acceptable view held by the majority of Dublin fans, not excuses blaming everything and everyone before looking at themselves. However, if you talking early 90s, they did eventually get over the line. And i do believe Mayo have been good enought to win one, but have blown it.

If you are not good enough you are not good enough. Bar '96 and 2013-17 Mayo were a fair distance off winning Sam. Dublin lost a fair amount of Big Games where they had an above average group of players between 1983 and 2010. They had as much of a name for choking on the big day as Mayo have. There is a direct correlation with Dublins success in relation to them getting more home games and Financial help. You may not like to hear this but the stats prove it.

Best of luck next Sunday. I will be cheering ye.

There was a direct correlation between Tyrone and Kerry being better than Dublin and their victories in Croke Park, no excuses for Dublin!! Westmeath and Laois beat Dublin in Croke park back then as well as even then Dublin played all their games in Croker in that period (except for a few qualifiers)

You can then see these teams regressing through retirements of some of the best players ever to wear their county jersies. At the same time Dublin have seen all time great players come through. All this has played a part in Dublin's dominance, but sure it's just the money that has Dublin on top.

It is a bit worrying that you're supporting Dublin in the final (I just hope you're not going) When Mayo fans go to an All Ireland final to support their team on All Ireland day it never ends in victory.

The losses to Tyrone and Kerry were before the Doping Kicked in Pre-2011.  Look at the over whelming stats post that! As for me shouting for Dublin. I was shouting for them last year as well. Didn't do them any harm!

What a load of s**e. You could try make an argument for current players like O'Callaghan, Murchan, Scully coming through with thanks to funding but to claim it benefited the 2011 team is just more of your bitter and deluded nonsense. Alot of the 2011 team played in CROKE PARK when hammered out the gate by Tipp and Tyrone in earlier years. Gilroy changed the mentality of that team not money. You clearly missed that what with only hopping on the dublin bandwagon the last few years.
What a load of shite, to borrow your own phrase!  ;D
Dublin as been getting preferential funding since at least 2004. THis matter has been done to death on this board many times before. You needn't look too hard or too long if you go to the Money, Dublin and the GAA thread.
The term , GDO, may not have been used back then but the purpose of the grants were the same.
I can't really understand your reason for keeping this thread running so you can snap and snarly at anyone who doesn't think the Dubs are the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Most Dubs I know are happy to let the past take care of itself and are looking forward to the final and most likely immortality and good luck to them.  I have yet to come across a Mayo follower who doesn't wish the Dubs good luck in the final and all are prepared to let the past stay where it belongs. Must be a guilt complex that brings a few Dubs, and very few at that, back here tie ans time again to show how ungracious and small minded they are.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi