The Official UFC Thread

Started by RONAN, February 05, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

Dustin Poirier vs Nate Diaz at UFC 230 is off - Poirier injured himself

And Ariel Helwani is reporting it will be Bones Jones / Gustaffson 2 at UFC 232 on December 29th for the "vacant" light heavyweight title

Syferus

Quote from: rosnarun on October 09, 2018, 01:20:56 PM
Quote from: Insane Bolt on October 09, 2018, 08:32:34 AM
Has McGregor not earned enough money to last him several lifetimes?
yes whoever heard of a well paid sports man full of his own importance  exaggerating how much he earns and over spending becoming a bankrupt in a year after retirement ?
Vanity whiskeys(c which taste like turps according to  bloomberg) and huge entourages don't come for for free you know

Yeah mate, I'm pretty sure leveraging your fame to build a brand that will outlast your career is exactly the sort of thing he should be doing. Joe public ain't getting their buying advice from Bloomberg..

Franko

Quote from: Syferus on October 10, 2018, 11:11:54 PM
yes whoever heard of a well paid sports man full of his own importance  exaggerating how much he earns and over spending becoming a bankrupt in a year after retirement ?
Vanity whiskeys(c which taste like turps according to  bloomberg) and huge entourages don't come for for free you know

Yeah mate, I'm pretty sure leveraging your fame to build a brand that will outlast your career is exactly the sort of thing he should be doing. Joe public ain't getting their buying advice from Bloomberg..

How true.  You and your fellow fanboys will lap up whatever shite McGregor and his marketing team tells you to.

Solo_run

I don't like his attitude but nobody can deny he has promoted the UFC (and himself) brand more than their own marketing department. Just look at the two years he was out, there was F all going on.

On the otherhand he has to be admired. For one, how many of us have the balls to drop our jobs and sacrafice it all to fulfill our dream? He took people for a ride with the Mayweather fight, everyone knew he was going to lose but people still watched it.

Khabib, Diaz, Mayweather etc they are all just a stepping stone for McGregor. It doesn't matter if they beat him, when he is done with them (maybe not Mayweather) they will go back to their 100k odd payday while he is coming up with a new scheme.

He knows it won't last forever, he will become predictable and boring  to watch and listen to. He is investing in business adventures and fair play to him. He would make a comfortable living making a few appearances on wwe a year just because he is good at promoting.

MoChara

I never understood why gimmick drinks like this always taste awful, go find a small distillery making something half way decent buy them out and make their spirit, its like the purposefully make the stuff taste shite.

gallsman

Quote from: MoChara on October 11, 2018, 07:56:36 AM

I never understood why gimmick drinks like this always taste awful, go find a small distillery making something half way decent buy them out and make their spirit, its like the purposefully make the stuff taste shite.

A distillery is a huge capital investment. This way McGregor gets to slap his name on a young, cheap whiskey and market it to impressionable twats. It's been working too, as the stuff has been flying off the shelves. Whether they can maintain that momentum is a different story.

The Gs Man

Quote from: Solo_run on October 11, 2018, 12:59:26 AM
I don't like his attitude but nobody can deny he has promoted the UFC (and himself) brand more than their own marketing department. Just look at the two years he was out, there was F all going on.

On the otherhand he has to be admired. For one, how many of us have the balls to drop our jobs and sacrafice it all to fulfill our dream? He took people for a ride with the Mayweather fight, everyone knew he was going to lose but people still watched it.

Khabib, Diaz, Mayweather etc they are all just a stepping stone for McGregor. It doesn't matter if they beat him, when he is done with them (maybe not Mayweather) they will go back to their 100k odd payday while he is coming up with a new scheme.

He knows it won't last forever, he will become predictable and boring  to watch and listen to. He is investing in business adventures and fair play to him. He would make a comfortable living making a few appearances on wwe a year just because he is good at promoting.

Was interesting to hear John Kavanagh on the Joe Rogan podcast this week talking about how it's really only Prizefighting.  Get in, make as much money as possible in the shortest time possible and get out with the least amount of damage.  So, with talk like this from his coach, I'd imagine McGregor won't have too long left in the UFC.

(I could listen to Kavanagh talk all day.  He's a proper fight nerd)

Also, for anyone interested in the prep work going into a fight, McGregor's nutritionist was on talking about the science behind the weight cut.  Fascinating stuff.
Keep 'er lit

gallsman

Kavanagh is a bellend. He's a good BJJ coach who struck it lucky with a golden goose. He's a hypocritical arsehole - champions gay rights because of his brother but never speaks a word when McGregor comes out anything homophobic. He's clearly by no means stupid yet nowhere near as intelligent as he thinks he is.

Lockhart, the nutritionist, is very popular amongst MMA fighters but is also a bellend. Bro-science and endless pseudo intellectual nonsense, which of course makes him perfect for a Rogan podcast. His methods have developed over the years through trial and error, not through science. Good fit for McGregor too of course - Julian Dalby's medical qualification, for example, comes from a university in Grenada.

The Gs Man

Keep 'er lit

The Gs Man

Quote from: gallsman on October 11, 2018, 10:46:22 AM

His methods have developed over the years through trial and error, not through science.

Was actually gonna put in brackets (science, or lack of) so you beat me to it there...although he has something like 200 fighters on his books so there must be something in it.

As for Kavanagh's background outside the ring, I know nothing.  I just like to hear him talk about tactics and strategies.  Get a different perspective on things, ye know?

But 3 bell-ends on one podcast! Harsh!   :) 
Keep 'er lit

gallsman

Quote from: The Gs Man on October 11, 2018, 10:58:00 AM
Quote from: gallsman on October 11, 2018, 10:46:22 AM

His methods have developed over the years through trial and error, not through science.

Was actually gonna put in brackets (science, or lack of) so you beat me to it there...although he has something like 200 fighters on his books so there must be something in it.

As for Kavanagh's background outside the ring, I know nothing.  I just like to hear him talk about tactics and strategies.  Get a different perspective on things, ye know?

But 3 bell-ends on one podcast! Harsh!   :)

It's rare enough that Rogan has anyone on his podcast who isn't one.

The Gs Man

Off topic, but did you ever hear the one he had with the guy who spent 20 odd years on death row?  That was crazy.  Nick Yarris was his name.  The man was a complete pyscho, very manipulative. 
Keep 'er lit

lurganblue

Kavanagh comes across as a likeable sod for me. Obviously loves MMA with a passion. He has done well for himself and yes he has of course struck lucky with McGregor.  Surely he is also a big part of McGregor's success too though, so could be argued that they were lucky with each other.

I am a casual enthusiast of UFC but i thoroughly enjoyed hearing his interview with Joe Rogan (enjoyed his book too). Personally he could be a bell end for all i know but i see little in his public persona in that regard.

The Iceman

JK comes across well in interviews. He's articulate. He is knowledgeable in his field and tried in the early days to engage with fans.  He has a decent gym and is one of the highest ranking BJJ black belts in Ireland. As a competitor he was average. Some people are better coaches than fighters (insert sport)....

Outside of the fight game I'm not a fan. He is very opinionated and pushes these opinions on whoever frequents his gym - because its his gym.  He is extremely anti-church, anti-religion (mainly because of his brother I would suspect) and does not tolerate anyone who sides with religion.  Even though he is a "champion for tolerance".... He also enjoys taking foolish letters from fans and broadcasting them on social media and ridiculing the person who sent it. 

Not too many people would ever know who he is had it not been for Conor. But Conor needs him. He is a great tactician.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

yellowcard

Has McGregor gone into media exile since last Saturday night, I haven't seen an interview with him yet since his defeat which is very unusual for him.