They should just keep reducing wages every week till its zero

Why stop there?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

red hander

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 22, 2023, 03:58:27 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on February 22, 2023, 03:16:31 PM
Quote from: Orior on February 22, 2023, 01:57:40 PM
Quote from: trailer on February 21, 2023, 04:45:49 PM
Time Sunak the wimp manned up. Tell the DUP either to sign up and fall behind the deal or it is Joint Authority for NI and a Labour government next time out.
The Tories are most likely toast at the next election anyway. I see no way out of this mess for the DUP other than A) a spectacular climbdown (unlikely) or B) Stormont canned for a generation and the Unionist hand weaker than ever.

Your two options are it in a nutshell. So we're in Zombie land for another 10 years.
Stormont is a unionist citadel, I for one will cry no tears at its demise and replacement with a direct rule with Irish government input. I was happy to accept it when it looked like unionists were committed to power sharing. But unionist politicians have no generosity, no desire to treat nationalists with respect and want only to govern as top dogs.

Same here. Be happy enough to see Stormont banished to the doldrums forever!

+1

Dougal Maguire

In fairness the Irish government has a massive say in the way things are done here and the Tanaiste is now as regular a visitor to Stormont than the British Secretary of State. Changed times from when the Maryfield Secretariat was established in a caged off compound in Holywood. Mind you Sunak has already baled the DUP out by bringing forward Daithai's law which was a huge embarrassment for them so they already owe him one. I'd say he's also offered them a big cheque to sort out the Norths finances as well
Careful now

bennydorano

Moment of truth for the DUP, think they've got most of what they wanted, still some EU / ECJ oversight by the looks of it but if they've any brains at all they'll be claiming a huge victory. Hard to see any renegotiation at this point, so if the toys are threw out of the pram it will be a messy future.

seafoid

Quote from: bennydorano on February 27, 2023, 05:41:01 PM
Moment of truth for the DUP, think they've got most of what they wanted, still some EU / ECJ oversight by the looks of it but if they've any brains at all they'll be claiming a huge victory. Hard to see any renegotiation at this point, so if the toys are threw out of the pram it will be a messy future.
I think they have started already.
Both the DUP and UUP pointed out that they kept on plugging away at it when they were told the EU couldn't budge any further.
If you look at it like that the results are decent.

Wildweasel74

Here, if it's not this, it be something else, not even matter if its sinn fein, if it was the SDLP they still wouldn't go into govt with a Catholic.

Sportacus

If only Michelle wasn't the FM elect.

gallsman

Steve baker on channel 4 news subtly, yet gleefully, taking every opportunity KGM giving him to absolutely eviscerate and bury Boris.

bennydorano

Having watched Parliament there, all very positive mood music I would say. No doubt the ERG / GB News headbangers will be shouting and blustering but who cares. Wee Jeffery playing the cards close to his chest but I'd still say he'll eventually be shouting victory from the rooftops.

Orior

Yes, wee Jeff is claiming this as a victory and justifying his boycott Stormont.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Nanderson

Has Rishi played a blinder? DUP are against EU laws being brought into NI without their consent. If DUP don't go back into Stormont then EU can apply as many laws as they want without restrictions. Only way to stop it is to apply the Stormont brake and challenge it from within Stormont

yellowcard

Quote from: Orior on February 27, 2023, 08:52:48 PM
Yes, wee Jeff is claiming this as a victory and justifying his boycott Stormont.

Just wait until Jim Allister, the LCC and the OO have time to pick holes in it and Jeff will be rowing back again. That's before the likes of Sammy and Ian Og try and throw in a precondition of a place in the Lords.

Armagh18

Will there be any material differences realistically to what was agreed before? Or is it just fancy wording to allow the DUP to claim a victory? That'll not suit them as they'll have to go in with Michelle in charge of their wee Protestant state for Protestant people!

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Nanderson on February 27, 2023, 09:02:31 PM
Has Rishi played a blinder? DUP are against EU laws being brought into NI without their consent. If DUP don't go back into Stormont then EU can apply as many laws as they want without restrictions. Only way to stop it is to apply the Stormont brake and challenge it from within Stormont

Absolutely. The "Windsor framework" is a masterful piece of branding. Having King Charlie make a cup of tae for Ursula von der Leyen was inspired. Very hard for the "loyalists" to reject this deal when it comes with even a smell of royal endorsement. Not often you see a Tory PM with this kind of skill and understanding of how to press the emotional buttons of NI politicians. Against my better judgment, I'm impressed.

seafoid

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 27, 2023, 09:33:15 PM
Will there be any material differences realistically to what was agreed before? Or is it just fancy wording to allow the DUP to claim a victory? That'll not suit them as they'll have to go in with Michelle in charge of their wee Protestant state for Protestant people!

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2023/02/27/northern-ireland-protocol-deal-eu-uk-brexit/.
The deal, which will be subject to a vote in Westminster at the "appropriate time", includes green and red lanes for imports into the North. It returns to Westminster the power to set all VAT rates.
It contains safeguards to ensure that all supermarket goods and medicines available in Britain will automatically be available in the North
The deal introduces a new Stormont brake, allowing the assembly not only to have a say over EU laws but also to block them from applying in Northern Ireland.