No 2nd referendum: 1/33
Tories get most seats at next election: 4/9
No-deal Brexit: 20/10

Franko

Quote from: Hound on September 04, 2019, 09:54:49 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on September 04, 2019, 09:16:58 AM
Quote from: Hound on September 04, 2019, 09:06:19 AM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on September 04, 2019, 08:23:56 AM
My theory. Boris has no majority anymore and wants an election, preferably with Brexit sorted. DUP now no use to him. Surely the sensible thing is go for NI only backstop put that through parliament then when he's done that and can leave with a deal by 31 October, go for election

NI only backstop, but with a timelimit, say 5 years, is the obvious answer that everyone would eventually sign up to. (Even DUP could claim that as a win if they get a timelimit imposed). The 5 years (extendable if all sides agree) would give opportunity to do a new trade deal between EU and UK, such that no border would be required on our island.

There can't be a time limit on the backstop. It ceases to perform its (very necessary) purpose if there is. 'Even DUP....' nothing - they'd rip your hand off for it! And are on record as saying so.

Of course there can be a timelimit.

Insisting on a timelimit for the backstop means there ends up being no backstop at all (i.e. No Deal).

5 years gives time to move away from political nonsense and deal with social and commercial interests where nobody actually wants a border so a proper deal can be done.

There is no solution, technical or otherwise, that allows a free flowing border but still maintains checks on the goods and people crossing it.  It just doesn't and won't exist.

Everyone knows this and it's the main reason why the EU insist on the backstop and the Brits are so against it.

If we time limit the backstop all we'll get is the Brits sticking the border back up again in 5 years time, when the noise has died down and nobody is really looking any more.

A nonsense idea.

Eamonnca1

Holy crap did the bill just clear the House of Lords already? I didn't see that coming, I was waiting for a day of drama about filibusters!

tyrone08

Quote from: Franko on September 05, 2019, 07:15:22 AM
My theory. Boris has no majority anymore and wants an election, preferably with Brexit sorted. DUP now no use to him. Surely the sensible thing is go for NI only backstop put that through parliament then when he's done that and can leave with a deal by 31 October, go for election

NI only backstop, but with a timelimit, say 5 years, is the obvious answer that everyone would eventually sign up to. (Even DUP could claim that as a win if they get a timelimit imposed). The 5 years (extendable if all sides agree) would give opportunity to do a new trade deal between EU and UK, such that no border would be required on our island.

There can't be a time limit on the backstop. It ceases to perform its (very necessary) purpose if there is. 'Even DUP....' nothing - they'd rip your hand off for it! And are on record as saying so.

Insisting on a timelimit for the backstop means there ends up being no backstop at all (i.e. No Deal).

5 years gives time to move away from political nonsense and deal with social and commercial interests where nobody actually wants a border so a proper deal can be done.

There is no solution, technical or otherwise, that allows a free flowing border but still maintains checks on the goods and people crossing it.  It just doesn't and won't exist.

Everyone knows this and it's the main reason why the EU insist on the backstop and the Brits are so against it.

If we time limit the backstop all we'll get is the Brits sticking the border back up again in 5 years time, when the noise has died down and nobody is really looking any more.

A nonsense idea.

The solution is already here

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-44054594

Border between norway and Sweden Is technology based. Over 1300 lorries pass through it a day without any issues. Waiting time is 20 minutes. People are hell bent on finding faults instead of looking at what the EU already has in place with other countries.

Franko

Quote from: tyrone08 on September 05, 2019, 08:16:56 AM

A nonsense idea.

Border between norway and Sweden Is technology based. Over 1300 lorries pass through it a day without any issues. Waiting time is 20 minutes. People are hell bent on finding faults instead of looking at what the EU already has in place with other countries.

;D ;D

tyrone08

Quote from: Franko on September 05, 2019, 08:20:52 AM

A nonsense idea.

;D ;D

That's what the article says. Apparently it is an almost seamless border

seafoid

The border has to be open. It's Ireland and there are Irish people on both sides of the border.

armaghniac

Sylvia Hermon invites John Redwood to come with her to south Armagh to discuss the issues
https://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2019-09-04a.251.6&s=speaker%3A10958#g273.2

he doesn't seem to have wanted to take up the invite.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

magpie seanie

Quote from: thewobbler on September 04, 2019, 10:08:14 PM
If we, the world, can learn one thing from Brexit is that 52% of the vote is not actually enough to force through a constitutional change.

I think if the proposition in front of the people is clearly framed then it's arguable. When it's an indicative referendum framed on unicorns and lies then it's meaning gets lost.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 05, 2019, 06:02:38 AM
Quote from: Minder on September 04, 2019, 10:32:55 PM

Saw something earlier that according to Labours internal polling they are pretty sure they wouldnt win a GE at the minute

The strength of the SNP is probably why. Since the SNP are staunch remainers I'd say a second EU referendum would be a condition for any coalition with them.

I honestly believe there's a rough plan between Labour, Lib Dems and SNP to manage this process through to the next parliament. I would see Corbyn leading a coalition government and negotiating a compromise deal which is much better than May's balls of a deal. This will be then put to a public vote - Yes and Britain leaves on the terms of the deal, No and they stay. Issue closed. Then the business of rebuilding Britain, ending austerity and working for the many can get the focus it deserves.

Rossfan

Hopefully at the end of this there will be no more "Britain".
I wonder what will a State made up of England, Wales and the 6 Cos call itself.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

LeoMc

Quote from: tyrone08 on September 05, 2019, 08:57:43 AM
Quote from: Franko on September 05, 2019, 08:20:52 AM

A nonsense idea.

;D ;D

That's what the article says. Apparently it is an almost seamless border

The article also says Norway is part of the single market through its membership of the European Economic Area (EEA) but it's not in the customs union. Being in the single market means Norway respects the EU's four freedoms - the freedom of movement of goods, services, capital and people

The UK is not looking to be in the Single market nor the free movement of people.

trileacman

Quote from: Rossfan on September 05, 2019, 09:17:36 AM

Shitain
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on September 05, 2019, 09:17:36 AM

K?

Denn Forever

The government seems to be able to find money very easy these days.  Are they borrowing again?  It seems Corbin would ruin the economy.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...