Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: t_mac on July 29, 2019, 02:52:01 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 29, 2019, 02:31:24 PM
Quote from: t_mac on July 29, 2019, 01:50:12 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 29, 2019, 01:27:28 PM
Quote from: t_mac on July 29, 2019, 01:06:48 PM
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-no-deal-northern-ireland-direct-rule-dominic-raab-boris-johnson-a9024801.html

Back to the good old days of direct rule, the Shinners are playing a blinder.

If only the right honourable member for West Tyrone spoke in the commons. Then Boris would see the light and become completely reasonable.  :P

Or maybe if they took their seats in Stormont, but no Shinners want as much chaos as possible with as many economic causalities as possible (none of which will be themselves) so that they can pursue a United Ireland.
There's a real habit of simplifying the issue here to have a go at SF. Stormont was a joke, and while I'm conflicted with regards to whether they should re-look at taking their seats in Westminister, I definitely would not want them backing down again to the DUP and giving in regarding Stormont.

And in the meantime, operations are cancelled, breast clinic at Craigavon is up for closure, kids are being sent home to beg parents for money for books, roads are a joke etc etc.  SF will do nothing from the outside they need to reengage and stand up for the rights of those who voted for them.  DUP haven't the numbers for a petition of concern anymore SF need to help their communities.

Is there a pot of gold released once the NI Assembly is up and running?

Austerity causes all these issues and will continue to do so unless funds are made available.

trueblue1234

Quote from: t_mac on July 29, 2019, 03:44:15 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 29, 2019, 03:34:03 PM
Quote from: t_mac on July 29, 2019, 03:17:05 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 29, 2019, 03:10:25 PM
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-no-deal-northern-ireland-direct-rule-dominic-raab-boris-johnson-a9024801.html

If only the right honourable member for West Tyrone spoke in the commons. Then Boris would see the light and become completely reasonable.  :P

Or maybe if they took their seats in Stormont, but no Shinners want as much chaos as possible with as many economic causalities as possible (none of which will be themselves) so that they can pursue a United Ireland.
There's a real habit of simplifying the issue here to have a go at SF. Stormont was a joke, and while I'm conflicted with regards to whether they should re-look at taking their seats in Westminister, I definitely would not want them backing down again to the DUP and giving in regarding Stormont.

And in the meantime, operations are cancelled, breast clinic at Craigavon is up for closure, kids are being sent home to beg parents for money for books, roads are a joke etc etc.  SF will do nothing from the outside they need to reengage and stand up for the rights of those who voted for them.  DUP haven't the numbers for a petition of concern anymore SF need to help their communities.

I've no issue with them reengaging, and I'd like to see that happening. But if it's to reengage so that they have to concede more and more just to keep the DUP happy then no. And trust me the DUP at the minute believe they are invincible with the Tories backing. They'll be driving that home now more than ever.

What are they conceding, there is going to be LGBT rights, and an Irish Language is not going to happen under no Stormont and definitely not with direct rule.  Do you think folk lying on trolleys in hospitals, operations cancelled, school budgets evaporating, social care up the left is a good price to pay for the people in the North for Sinn Feins red lines, why not go and fight for their causes in the institutions which can deliver them FFS.

Would this have happened if Stormont was still active? The reality is no. A perfect example of why Stormont is broken. You believe that because the DUP have reneged on something they have previously agreed, that SF should look to reengaged and negotiate downwards just to keep "Power" in NI. That's not something I agree with.

So just let the vulnerable citizens suffer on then? LGBT would always have been passed, again back to the vulnerable citizens suffering because of no working administration, that's OK is it, for the greater cause?
Well it hadnt been yet due to the DUP. So to take your same tactics, you were happy for the LGBT community to be discriminated against In NI to achieve local government?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

t_mac

Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 29, 2019, 03:58:20 PM

I've no issue with them reengaging, and I'd like to see that happening. But if it's to reengage so that they have to concede more and more just to keep the DUP happy then no. And trust me the DUP at the minute believe they are invincible with the Tories backing. They'll be driving that home now more than ever.

What are they conceding, there is going to be LGBT rights, and an Irish Language is not going to happen under no Stormont and definitely not with direct rule.  Do you think folk lying on trolleys in hospitals, operations cancelled, school budgets evaporating, social care up the left is a good price to pay for the people in the North for Sinn Feins red lines, why not go and fight for their causes in the institutions which can deliver them FFS.

Would this have happened if Stormont was still active? The reality is no. A perfect example of why Stormont is broken. You believe that because the DUP have reneged on something they have previously agreed, that SF should look to reengaged and negotiate downwards just to keep "Power" in NI. That's not something I agree with.

So just let the vulnerable citizens suffer on then? LGBT would always have been passed, again back to the vulnerable citizens suffering because of no working administration, that's OK is it, for the greater cause?
Well it hadnt been yet due to the DUP. So to take your same tactics, you were happy for the LGBT community to be discriminated against In NI to achieve local government?

It's like pulling teeth, no one should be discriminated against but its 2019 we live in a western civilisation LGBT rights were always going to be achieved - and back to my question - So just let the vulnerable citizens suffer on then? LGBT would always have been passed, again back to the vulnerable citizens suffering because of no working administration, that's OK is it, for the greater cause?

t_mac

Quote from: GJL on July 29, 2019, 03:50:36 PM

If only there was a working administration then the 6 counties would have brilliant public services like the rest of the UK. ::)

I missed the question when signing up for this, are you a Sinn Fein apologist - having no administration isn't helping and you know it.

haranguerer

Quote from: screenexile on July 29, 2019, 03:46:30 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on July 29, 2019, 03:38:41 PM
Quote from: trailer on July 29, 2019, 03:07:52 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 29, 2019, 03:03:11 PM
Quote from: trailer on July 29, 2019, 02:35:34 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 29, 2019, 02:27:04 PM
I don't like SF particularly much but you can't fault them for the government thing. There is no compromise in the DUP - they never compromise on anything and never have. Also there is no accountability for anything or Foster would be long gone. At lest with the McElduff and MCKay things there was some form of accountability. If it was the DUP they'd still be sitting there.

Then you read all this crap about eroding Loyalist culture etc. The DUP wouldn't have any form of Irish culture about the place. They need to be called on this and finally have been.

Yes and given this, it's important that key services are cut as a result and that the most vulnerable of society pay the price. Maith thú Sinn Fein.

Yeah sure let's just keep rolling over to these pricks.

The language of peace and reconciliation.

Out of interest, at what point do you think we should be entitled to be seen and treated as equal? 10 years time? 50? Never?

I've been living here for 33 odd years and could count on one hand the number of times I've not been treated equal with regard to me being a Catholic and none of those times has been in the last 10 years!!

I'm happy for you but its not my experience being an Irish citizen in the North of Ireland. Not all discrimination is overt or personal. I think its discriminatory having the flag I identify with burned on top of bonfires along with other symbols of my identity for example, with police complicit and the fire brigade hosing down houses rather than the fires. I also think much of the media in the north is biased toward those who identify as British. There are numerous examples of this, but I don't think i need to point them out, I'd be surprised if you hadn't noticed for yourself. Is any of this enough on its own to keep me awake at night? No. Am I treated equally as an irish citizen in the north? No. Should I accept it because its not as bad as it used to be? No.

trailer

Quote from: haranguerer on July 29, 2019, 04:59:43 PM
I don't like SF particularly much but you can't fault them for the government thing. There is no compromise in the DUP - they never compromise on anything and never have. Also there is no accountability for anything or Foster would be long gone. At lest with the McElduff and MCKay things there was some form of accountability. If it was the DUP they'd still be sitting there.

Then you read all this crap about eroding Loyalist culture etc. The DUP wouldn't have any form of Irish culture about the place. They need to be called on this and finally have been.

Yes and given this, it's important that key services are cut as a result and that the most vulnerable of society pay the price. Maith thú Sinn Fein.

Out of interest, at what point do you think we should be entitled to be seen and treated as equal? 10 years time? 50? Never?

I've been living here for 33 odd years and could count on one hand the number of times I've not been treated equal with regard to me being a Catholic and none of those times has been in the last 10 years!!

I'm happy for you but its not my experience being an Irish citizen in the North of Ireland. Not all discrimination is overt or personal. I think its discriminatory having the flag I identify with burned on top of bonfires along with other symbols of my identity for example, with police complicit and the fire brigade hosing down houses rather than the fires. I also think much of the media in the north is biased toward those who identify as British. There are numerous examples of this, but I don't think i need to point them out, I'd be surprised if you hadn't noticed for yourself. Is any of this enough on its own to keep me awake at night? No. Am I treated equally as an irish citizen in the north? No. Should I accept it because its not as bad as it used to be? No.

Burning the tri-colour on top of a bonfire is discriminating against you how exactly?

Orior

Harangurer already said that not all discrimination is overt or personal.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

RedHand88

Quote from: trailer on July 29, 2019, 05:28:58 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on July 29, 2019, 04:59:43 PM

Burning the tri-colour on top of a bonfire is discriminating against you how exactly?

Read that back to yourself and have a rethink about it.

Oraisteach

Trailer, are you trying to perform semantic gymnastics? OK, burning the flag may not be discrimination per se, but it is indicative of hatred, bigotry, intolerance, inequity or any other like-minded synonym that is the bedrock on which discrimination is built.

trueblue1234

Quote from: t_mac on July 29, 2019, 04:19:54 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 29, 2019, 03:58:20 PM

It's like pulling teeth, no one should be discriminated against but its 2019 we live in a western civilisation LGBT rights were always going to be achieved - and back to my question - So just let the vulnerable citizens suffer on then? LGBT would always have been passed, again back to the vulnerable citizens suffering because of no working administration, that's OK is it, for the greater cause?
It is like pulling teeth, cause I mentioned before the LGBT rights were shelved during DUP rule. Now that decision is out of their hands and has been passed as should have been done ages ago. Hopefully now they will look at ways to help the other vulnerable citizens as well in the absence of Stormont.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

RedHand88

This pretence that Stormont is the answer to all of society's problems in the North is bizarre. It is a glorified council. It's almost like yous are desperate, desperate beyond measure to throw the boot into the Shinners, even at the expense of those the SDLP/Alliance would also claim to defend the interests of.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: trailer on July 29, 2019, 03:24:22 PM
They only have limited power around budgets. Hence the cuts to services. And anyway budgets are only one issue. There's decisions that need taken around reform of the Health Service, Education and Infrastructure projects. And literally without sitting down and going through everything.

There is far more money in the North's budget per head than anywhere else in the UK.  (the rest of this post isn't going at you, its a rant at the general problem)

If I were in charge for a week, I'd start by walking through every big Civil Service office and hand every other civil servant in the building a metaphorical shovel and make them actually produce end-services rather than continual piles of back office paperwork.

Yep, there would be retraining as nurses, as road workers, as teaching assistants etc etc. If those involved didn't like it - P45 time - why the f**k should I pay taxes to be burnt on paying someone to sit about (if they aren't off "sick" or on "stress") doing f**k all of use? The end result would be worth it.

Sure how much money in the education system is burned by the back organisation rather than in actual schools? ~30%! THIRTY f**king PERCENT.[1]
30% spent on tenuous-value added bullshit.

While the duplication of education boards exacerbates the above, I would have little reason to believe it is radically different throughout much of the Civil Service, although no doubt some areas are much more efficient.

[1]https://scopeni.nicva.org/article/education-needs-to-be-smarter
i usse an speelchekor