Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: yellowcard on November 27, 2018, 01:05:00 PM
Meanwhile everyone else has got the blame for the predicament that they find themselves in. The Irish government, the EU, the business community, the media and Theresa May.

Everyone except themselves.

What do you expect from a pig but a grunt?

i usse an speelchekor

weareros

The problem for the DUP is they went for the Full English Brexit with Boris Johnston as the silly sausage in the middle of it.  It was an unhealthy choice to say the least.

Jim_Murphy_74

Her worst legacy will be losing the Assembly. 

They have give a free reign to Shinners for last two years.  Shown up for intolerance on rights and language badly.   Brexit and their Tory agreement enhanced that.  Taking a crack at farmers and business over their genuine concerns another own goal.

Even Peter Robinson and others can see that demographics are working against them and they need to adjust

She needed to be a leader of unionism that reached out.  Unionism needs to bring people into their house, not drive them out.   Even her "reach out" efforts earlier this summer seemed contrived and tapered out once the Brexit mud-slinging started.

The long term trends mean that stalemate is actually helping nationalism.   I can understand that why herself, Sammy Wilson etc can't see that but surely there is someone in that party (or these all powerful SPADS?) that has an ounce of strategic thinking.

I suspect jumping on Brexit to show how British they are will prove the most short-sighted strategy possible.

/Jim.

BennyCake

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on November 27, 2018, 01:14:16 PM
Meanwhile everyone else has got the blame for the predicament that they find themselves in. The Irish government, the EU, the business community, the media and Theresa May.

And rounding up sheep?

BennyCake

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on November 27, 2018, 01:26:48 PM

They have give a free reign to Shinners for last two years.  Shown up for intolerance on rights and language badly.   Brexit and their Tory agreement enhanced that.  Taking a crack at farmers and business over their genuine concerns another own goal.

Even Peter Robinson and others can see that demographics are working against them and they need to adjust

She needed to be a leader of unionism that reached out.  Unionism needs to bring people into their house, not drive them out.   Even her "reach out" efforts earlier this summer seemed contrived and tapered out once the Brexit mud-slinging started.

The long term trends mean that stalemate is actually helping nationalism.   I can understand that why herself, Sammy Wilson etc can't see that but surely there is someone in that party (or these all powerful SPADS?) that has an ounce of strategic thinking.

I suspect jumping on Brexit to show how British they are will prove the most short-sighted strategy possible.

/Jim.

It's a pity he didn't talk more sense when he was in politics.

But of course, there's a vast difference in the talk of a current politician and an ex-politician. There's the votes and the big salary to think of, and all that.

Clov

/Jim.

As usual Jim, you are spot on with your analysis.

There are a couple of scenarios that could play out which would really expose them badly. A narrow defeat of the agreement in Westminster followed by either a no-deal Brexit, or may be more plausibly, a second referendum that delivers a remain vote. They could very quickly end up as the fall guys in both of these situations and achieve something that the IRA could never achieve in 30 years of bombing - an erosion of consent for the union with the wee six among the British electorate.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

Denn Forever

Maybe the vote will pass in parliament because the last thing people want is an election.  And I don't think labour would win a general election as they have shown no leadership in the last 2 years.  And the parliament members seem to that they could get better results.

Even Arlene thinks that there are better deals available.  She doesn't seem to remember the history of her own party.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

seafoid

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 27, 2018, 05:18:33 PM
Maybe the vote will pass in parliament because the last thing people want is an election.  And I don't think labour would win a general election as they have shown no leadership in the last 2 years.  And the parliament members seem to that they could get better results.

Even Arlene thinks that there are better deals available.  She doesn't seem to remember the history of her own party.
Arlene is a joke
Maybe if she went to confession and did Lough Derg she could pray for a better deal .

trailer

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 27, 2018, 02:15:06 PM
Quote from: trailer on November 26, 2018, 09:42:51 AM
Quote from: Dire Ear on November 25, 2018, 11:38:19 PM
Trailer, you're lost for a good.............education  ;D ;D

Some of the biggest food scares..

BSE (UK & Ireland)
Foot and Mouth (UK & Ireland)
Dioxines in Pig feed (Ireland)
Horsemeat Scandal (UK & Ireland)

But yeah Chlorinated Chicken and Steroids in Beef.

I'm just asking people get a little bit of perspective on things and stop regurgitating shite of Facebook. But that seems beyond the mental capabilities of some contributors on this board.

* BSE - how this disease came about to be seen in British cows firstly in the mid 1980's still remains a mystery. As such various government bodies responsible for food & agriculture could only work on the knowledge that they had at the time as to how this related to food safety. It's still a disease that isn't very well understood but regulations in various countries in Ireland, Britain, other EU countries and elsewhere over the last 25-30 years have developed to help minimise risks on an ongoing basis.

* Foot & Mouth - a red herring. Foot & Mouth disease is almost impossible for humans to contract (there have been a few exceptionally rare cases across the world, the last case in the UK was more than 50 years ago) and after World War II was actually quite common for several decades across Europe. It's still endemic in many parts of Africa and Asia including India & China. Where such incidents of Foot & Mouth in 2001 & 2007 was a concern of was largely in biosecurity and the consequential import restrictions that countries have in place for meat coming from countries that have cases of foot & mouth, thus resulting in economic loss for agribusiness. In the 2001 case, it was determined that it was most likely caused by pigs feeding on a swill that hadn't been heat treated which contained meat that had been illegally imported. In 2007, it was traced to a leak at a nearby laboratory to where the cluster of cases occurred. 

* Dioxins & Horsemeat - arguably it was the regulations in place within the EU that allowed these issues to be well highlighted. In many other parts of the world, such practices are either openly allowed or have blind eyes turned to. The "horsemeat scandal" itself wasn't an acute public health issue as there wasn't any obvious risk to public health in passing off horsemeat as beef but rather a failure of improper labelling. Something like this has happened before - back in the late 90's in England with BSE being an ongoing crises, government inspectors tested portions of mince bought from butchers and a few samples showed that  what was being sold as mince lamb or pork contained up to 10% beef, something that couldn't simply happen just by the machinery not being thoroughly cleaned between processing different meats. Anyway, breaches in food & farming regulations isn't a reason to declare them ineffective or unenforceable. Using that logic then there is no point enforcing any law because there will always crime & criminals.

And just on a side note, in the USA right now there is an E-coli outbreak that is being found in lettuce, and by the sounds of it quite a nasty one to get. The following short Twitter thread is from a paediatric surgeon giving his explanation of events. Now it's not an unbiased source since the man in question got blocked on Twitter by Donald Trump and responded by taking the POUTS to court and won, and his expertise is not in the field of veterinary medicine but the reasoning comes across as fairly legit to me.

QuoteEugene Gu, MD‏ Verified account

@eugenegu

We have an outbreak of E. Coli O157:H7 which makes you vomit blood, have bloody diarrhea, and even pee blood as you lose your kidneys. It's all because Trump overturned Obama-era rules to test our farm water. Farmers save $12 million so that we pay $108 million in medical costs.

This strain of E. Coli creates a Shiga toxin that stops our cells from producing the proteins they need to live, exactly like how the deadly poison ricin works. Cow don't have the Shiga toxin receptor in their intestines so they can have E. Coli O157:H7 without any symptoms.

Overuse of antibiotics in our farm animals encourages the growth of this deadly strain of E. Coli over other bacteria, causing these cows to shed huge amounts of it in their feces which then contaminates the water farmers use to water our crops like Romaine lettuce.

We are a first world country yet we don't have basic food safety because of first world problems like the overuse of antibiotics. So in essence the FDA under Trump encourages the spread of E. Coli O157:H7 in livestock and discourages testing the water contaminated by their feces.

https://twitter.com/eugenegu/status/1066725767936040961

Personally I've no wish to see a race to the bottom when it comes to farming & food standards.

You've missed my point completely.

As a side note; anyone who doesn't wash fruit and vegetables before eating them is going to get ill.

RedHand88

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000273022940&ref=content_filter

Interesting video from William "we aren't just a bunch of eejits" Frazer.
So now that May has thrown Irish unionism under the bus the plan they now have is to create an independent Northern Ireland state. Eventually they will have to realise that the game is up.

maddog

Quote from: RedHand88 on November 28, 2018, 08:49:53 AM
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000273022940&ref=content_filter

Interesting video from William "we aren't just a bunch of eejits" Frazer.
So now that May has thrown Irish unionism under the bus the plan they now have is to create an independent Northern Ireland state. Eventually they will have to realise that the game is up.

I can't watch the video but any mention of who to be funded by ?

MoChara

Quote from: BennyCake on November 27, 2018, 01:37:04 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on November 27, 2018, 01:14:16 PM

And rounding up sheep?

Is Arlene Foster a Babe is this analogy?

awideisneverasgood

QuoteYou've missed my point completely.

As a side note; anyone who doesn't wash fruit and vegetables before eating them is going to get ill.

Washing fruit and veg might remove some dirt but its not going to get rid of e-coli (unless you use bleach which I wouldnt advise)

93-DY-SAM

/Jim.

The sad thing is I can't see any of that impacting their vote. It might cause some degree of outrage and disgust with their voting base now but when it comes to polling day in the next elections they just can't bring themselves to put that X anywhere else.

MoChara

Quote from: awideisneverasgood on November 28, 2018, 09:19:53 AM
QuoteYou've missed my point completely.

Washing fruit and veg might remove some dirt but its not going to get rid of e-coli (unless you use bleach which I wouldnt advise)

We could chlorinate it?