Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 12, 2016, 07:40:56 PM

A bit like WMD

Nope. There were no WMDs. There was no evidence of actual WMDs. There was no effect of a WMD ever seen.

By contrast, there is a Brexit coming. We have seen the political effect of the decision within the Tories and Labour. We are seeing the currency effect with Sterling. We will see lots more effects of it in the coming months.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

The markets are kicking the UK up the arse and will do until they get the right answer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFJQoZYwyEU

seafoid

The plummeting pound is threatening UK households' supplies of Ben & Jerry's ice cream and Marmite spread, as Tesco, the country's biggest supermarket, pulled dozens of products from sale online in a row over who should bear the cost of the weakening currency.

Via the FT
James
38 minutes ago

Unilever is a UK based multinational, but those products are made with commodities bought in € and $. They are also usually quite low margin, particularly in competitive areas of food and drink and even most of the household products.
If they sell at below cost of production they'll make a huge loss due to the scale of the UK market. This isn't Iceland and they won't be able to absorb it hoping that things will turn around. 
They can cut their overheads so far, but it will get to the point that there'll be no point in them selling in the UK without making a loss that could do them serious damage. Why would anyone sell product that were costing them money?
There are no other sources of those ingredients. They're priced in € and $ and not made in the UK. 
This is where the ideology of Brexit hits at the brick wall of market economics. There is no getting around that. It's nothing to do with 'project fear' or anything else.
The reality is that you've a significant % less money than you did a few months ago and the real price of these goods is in hard currency - € and $. 
I hate to say it, but British consumers are in for a horrible few months. Those products have to be paid for by someone and I can assure you it won't be the producers or the retailers absorbing the costs. The prices will rise and rise quite dramatically.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 12, 2016, 07:29:37 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 12, 2016, 07:17:52 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 12, 2016, 07:12:00 PM
Feck there are some dark clouds about! Nothing will be on the scale as to how people lived in Galway 20 years ago.. Nor will it be nearly bankrupt like the south nearly was. There will be a dip, an adjustment and eventually things turn.

Lot of people here with a fixed mindset, try a growth mindset for a change..

Our near bankruptcy was a bank debt issue. We still had, and have, a relatively strong economy.

I think you will have to get the wee 6 to remain in (or effectively remain in as part of some deal) the EU. If that happens things could be better than before as, for example, Belfast could compete with Dublin (as an English speaking city) for the exodus of financials that leave London.

However, if the Tory neanderthals succeed in dragging all of the UK back to the 1970s, it will be more than a 'dip'.

Again scaremongering... will never be like the seventies... as for English speaking!! Do me a favour, Holland has better speaking English speakers than Belfast or Dublin!

;D ;D This is ridiculously true

Also regarding your overall point lets not forget about the likelihood of the Queen's last act before abdicating will be to grant a royal charter to reestablish the East India Company likely reestablishing Britain's wealth to Victorian levels

imtommygunn

Feck there are some dark clouds about! Nothing will be on the scale as to how people lived in Galway 20 years ago.. Nor will it be nearly bankrupt like the south nearly was. There will be a dip, an adjustment and eventually things turn.

Our near bankruptcy was a bank debt issue. We still had, and have, a relatively strong economy.

I think you will have to get the wee 6 to remain in (or effectively remain in as part of some deal) the EU. If that happens things could be better than before as, for example, Belfast could compete with Dublin (as an English speaking city) for the exodus of financials that leave London.

However, if the Tory neanderthals succeed in dragging all of the UK back to the 1970s, it will be more than a 'dip'.

It's not the tories who are the main concern it's the dup >:(

How anyone in ni can think this is a good idea is beyond me. Sure the dup went begging to europe for agriculture grants since they pushed for out and still don't see the sense.

When these people are running the place what hope is there for us :(

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 12, 2016, 08:58:46 PM

It's not the tories who are the main concern it's the dup >:(

How anyone in ni can think this is a good idea is beyond me. Sure the dup went begging to europe for agriculture grants since they pushed for out and still don't see the sense.

When these people are running the place what hope is there for us :(

Seems the local community groups are the ones who will miss out first when the EU peace money stops!! Cue riots!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Yeah i have thought that too. I think things like that could destabilise things a bit here from it.  You think short strand riots and how they stopped - money for community groups. What happens when there is no money - what stops the rioting. ( yes the law should but hasn't worked in the past)

Also you think the tories will fund policing for things like twaddel.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 12, 2016, 09:43:31 PM
Yeah i have thought that too. I think things like that could destabilise things a bit here from it.  You think short strand riots and how they stopped - money for community groups. What happens when there is no money - what stops the rioting. ( yes the law should but hasn't worked in the past)

Nope!! Should show them up though for what they are, holding their communities to ransom!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

heganboy

Quote from: bennydorano on October 12, 2016, 05:26:59 PM
Nope

Pound steadies after recent slump - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37628354

In what world nope?
Batshit plan free and short sighted
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

seafoid

Sterling's fall means inflation driving down purchasing power for Daily mail and daily express readers.  . The Brexit lie was that immigration was doing this

seafoid

That is scary

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 12, 2016, 10:25:23 PM

Nope!! Should show them up though for what they are, holding their communities to ransom!

Yeah but it could also show our peace process up to be fragile too!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 13, 2016, 07:19:35 AM

I don't think it has anything to do with peace other than free wages for unqualified community workers (in parts), who drag down the decent people who care and work very hard in flashpoint areas of Belfast and Derry.. the Nolan show last night was cringing after showing this up

imtommygunn

It does and it doesn't. It illustrates the kind of people that are controlling certain areas and what can happen if they are not placated(aka paid off). They always have been in the past so the question would be what if they're not placated.

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 13, 2016, 08:12:53 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 13, 2016, 07:19:35 AM

I don't think it has anything to do with peace other than free wages for unqualified community workers (in parts), who drag down the decent people who care and work very hard in flashpoint areas of Belfast and Derry.. the Nolan show last night was cringing after showing this up
Poorer and more vulnerable people will be hurt most by sterling. Someone reckoned the recent movements in the currency will take 5% off the purchasing power of people in the UK. If you are say on disability or have depression or whatever and a limited income 5% is a lot to take off the weekly food bill which may already be quite tight.
Taking money off historically volatile communities who aren't the most economically privileged is not really coherent.