Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Quote from: Gaffer on July 14, 2016, 09:41:42 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 13, 2016, 10:50:18 PM
Is it just me or this this "north of Ireland" business an awful mouthful? FFS the GFA recognises British rule in the north, the state has a name, and it's okay to say "Northern Ireland" once in a while. No need to name-drop it 50 times in every statement like Peader Robinson used to do, but still...

Sinn Fein started this 'north of Ireland' lark not all that long ago.
So if you are a nationalist  who says 'northern Ireland' you get dirty looks from the chuckies

Nonsense.The term has been used for many years. It and the term "six counties" still used by quite  a few of the older generation with a republican leaning.

seafoid

I think the UK is fukced. There is no way to triangulate between the insanity of Brexit, the needs of the 50% of Brits who are sick of the system and the needs of the City, which is the root of the problem. Europe will tear the Tories apart. Again. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuuObGsB0No

Gaffer

Quote from: Canalman on July 14, 2016, 10:56:45 AM
Quote from: Gaffer on July 14, 2016, 09:41:42 AM
Is it just me or this this "north of Ireland" business an awful mouthful? FFS the GFA recognises British rule in the north, the state has a name, and it's okay to say "Northern Ireland" once in a while. No need to name-drop it 50 times in every statement like Peader Robinson used to do, but still...

Sinn Fein started this 'north of Ireland' lark not all that long ago.
So if you are a nationalist  who says 'northern Ireland' you get dirty looks from the chuckies

Not nonsense. 'Six counties' yes but the 'north of Ireland' is a relatively recent term used extensively by Sinn Fein!!

Nonsense.The term has been used for many years. It and the term "six counties" still used by quite  a few of the older generation with a republican leaning.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

haranguerer

You are a lunatic gaffer.

Rois

Villiers is out of the NI post.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Applesisapples

Except it isn't a state, that would be the UK. Gerry though should focus on the fact that SF and their costing up to the DUP and general all round behaviour has made a UI further away rather than closer. By accepting the trappings of state more and more catholics feel at home in NI and don't want a UI. Talking about a remain majority is nothing more than wishful thinking.

armaghniac

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 14, 2016, 02:36:51 PM
Except it isn't a state, that would be the UK. Gerry though should focus on the fact that SF and their costing up to the DUP and general all round behaviour has made a UI further away rather than closer. By accepting the trappings of state more and more catholics feel at home in NI and don't want a UI. Talking about a remain majority is nothing more than wishful thinking.

While it is all too clear that SF have done nothing to advance a UI, recent events have illustrated the limitations of the UK and SF are lucky in that there is politically competent force in the SNP arguing for the importance of a local Remain. Unfortunately, there is no evidence whatsoever that SF have a clue what to do. Pearse Doherty was on the radio yesterday blathering about the difference between motor tax in the 26 counties for 3 months versus 6 months. Hardly a good use of his time in a week when the population of Donegal is shown to have fallen and the British are planning to hassle trade to and from there.

seafoid

The Bank of England has a choice between a rate cut to zero and QE. Both result in inflation. The UK needs payrises.  Brexit is a waste of time.

armaghniac

Foster criticising Sturgeon for trying to get a distinct deal for Scotland. Imagine that, someone actually trying to represent the wishes of the electorate in the place they are responsible for. There may be a question as to what is exactly possible, but it reflects Foster's bigotry that she cannot even make common cause with Scotland never mind the Irish government.

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on July 17, 2016, 01:10:58 PM
Foster criticising Sturgeon for trying to get a distinct deal for Scotland. Imagine that, someone actually trying to represent the wishes of the electorate in the place they are responsible for. There may be a question as to what is exactly possible, but it reflects Foster's bigotry that she cannot even make common cause with Scotland never mind the Irish government.
And most of the Unionists are ethnically Scottish. 

bennydorano

Angela Eagle drops out of Labour leader race - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36838808

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 08, 2016, 07:07:03 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 08, 2016, 06:40:32 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 08, 2016, 06:33:41 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 08, 2016, 06:11:04 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 08, 2016, 05:58:44 PM
Hows the pound doing today against the Euro??

it is fairly steady the last few days, have you not been looking at Drici's thread? http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=27117.15

meanwhile across Europe, others are following the example of the brave British Brexiteers. Not!
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/08/brexit-causes-resurgence-in-pro-eu-leanings-across-continent

Nope haven't.... Been too busy getting ready for the world to stop turning

Well you've become 10% poorer relative to me in the last week and that's only the beginning.

I certainly feel it... Been here in London all week on hols..which will be a strange place after brexit kicks in as there will be no one working the hospitality trade, maybe they could help the unemployed get into work, no wait those jobs were always available to everybody....

In Belfast back in the day, the Catholics worked the vast majority of the hospitality trade (and building trade) then they worked out that you'd get more money on the dole!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36864273

But don't worry everyone.  That wise old sage Milltown Row 2 says it's gonna be grand and everyone else is wrong.

And sure, with his knowledge on the subject, he'll be fit to sort the problems anyways.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Franko on July 22, 2016, 12:34:09 PM

it is fairly steady the last few days, have you not been looking at Drici's thread? http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=27117.15

meanwhile across Europe, others are following the example of the brave British Brexiteers. Not!
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/08/brexit-causes-resurgence-in-pro-eu-leanings-across-continent

Well you've become 10% poorer relative to me in the last week and that's only the beginning.

I certainly feel it... Been here in London all week on hols..which will be a strange place after brexit kicks in as there will be no one working the hospitality trade, maybe they could help the unemployed get into work, no wait those jobs were always available to everybody....

In Belfast back in the day, the Catholics worked the vast majority of the hospitality trade (and building trade) then they worked out that you'd get more money on the dole!!

But don't worry everyone.  That wise old sage Milltown Row 2 says it's gonna be grand and everyone else is wrong.

And sure, with his knowledge on the subject, he'll be fit to sort the problems anyways.

You did read it?? Shock down turn due to brexit result!! Who'd have thought it, but that was expected and that's a months review... Does a dark cloud follows you everywhere??

I don't need to sort out anyone's problems, I've my family to look after and that's that, the country managed to get through one of the worst recessions ever and people are still living better than our fathers and their fathers... If you're a glass half empty type person then you'll always have a negative view....

The pound in better shape, not as good as the 1.37 but heading back up, lets judge it when we actually leave Europe eh?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 23, 2016, 02:08:38 PM
Quote from: Franko on July 22, 2016, 12:34:09 PM

You did read it?? Shock down turn due to brexit result!! Who'd have thought it, but that was expected and that's a months review... Does a dark cloud follows you everywhere??

I don't need to sort out anyone's problems, I've my family to look after and that's that, the country managed to get through one of the worst recessions ever and people are still living better than our fathers and their fathers... If you're a glass half empty type person then you'll always have a negative view....

The pound in better shape, not as good as the 1.37 but heading back up, lets judge it when we actually leave Europe eh?

Yes I read it.  For those that didn't, here's the headline.

"Brexit causes dramatic drop in UK economy, data suggests"

And spare me the "glass half empty" psycho babble - if you actually read that and came out with a positive view of the state of the economy then I'd be quite sure you are an idiot.

Nobody's expecting us to go back to the dark ages because of this, but economically, it's a disaster.  And as you neatly pointed out for me, it hasn't even happened yet.  Although, for some reason, you seem to think it would be a good idea to stick our heads in the sand until then.  If you want to carry on in wonderland, I suppose that's fine.  I'd rather stick to the facts though.