Kerry v Throne AIQF - Saturday July 1st

Started by Ciarrai_thuaidh, June 26, 2023, 07:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NotedObserver

Quote from: kickingmule on June 29, 2023, 10:59:46 AM
All that seems to be talked about ongoing at the minute is this amazing strength in depth of certain teams in the pot for Sam, personally I think it's all a load of nonsense, I have yet to see any county blessed in any regard to a strong bench. At the end of the day all teams will have 15 players at any one time on the field of play.

The bench is massive in todays games. Dubs, Tyrone and Kerry have massively benefited in recent years with impact of the bench. Mayo are playing at the moment with leaving an impact of the bench in mind.

blanketattack

All that seems to be talked about ongoing at the minute is this amazing strength in depth of certain teams in the pot for Sam, personally I think it's all a load of nonsense, I have yet to see any county blessed in any regard to a strong bench. At the end of the day all teams will have 15 players at any one time on the field of play.

10 years ago I'd have agreed with you, but these days you've 13 players that sprint the full length of the pitch regularly depending on whether their team or the opposition team gets possession, plus keep ball is exhausting, particularly for the chasers, so some players will be absolutely beat after 55-60, plus injury time regularly extends the game to 77 minutes, so the fresh legs will be pivotal to a team.

At the same time, for a lot of the players just a fit workhouse is all that is needed to replace them. Someone who can run non-stop and handpass the ball accurately.

kickingmule

Quote from: blanketattack on June 29, 2023, 02:52:53 PM

10 years ago I'd have agreed with you, but these days you've 13 players that sprint the full length of the pitch regularly depending on whether their team or the opposition team gets possession, plus keep ball is exhausting, particularly for the chasers, so some players will be absolutely beat after 55-60, plus injury time regularly extends the game to 77 minutes, so the fresh legs will be pivotal to a team.

At the same time, for a lot of the players just a fit workhouse is all that is needed to replace them. Someone who can run non-stop and handpass the ball accurately.
yeah I suppose  very few teams have 1 Canavan never mind 2 of them.[jayas christ what a nightmare] a good fit or  fit replacements should be all that's needed in todays game. Where fitness is a gimmie to any side with title aspirations.

sam03/05

Tyrone bench looks decent to me
Cathal McShane - all star winner
Frank Burns - all star winner
Niall Devlin - u20 AI winning captain
McGleenan - U20 AI winner
Niall Sludden - All star winner / experienced player
Richard Donnelly - experienced player / lot of big game experience
Oguz - Big Athletic player / decent  season to date
O'Donnell - u20 - AI winner last year / lots of pace.
Clarke - don't know much about him but he did well v Westmeath

Prob a few others as well

Quarterbackk

Darragh has it - He has the xfactor.  Ruairi on the other hand still has a lot to prove (which im in no doubt he will). This weekend will be a big test for him at his age.  Dooher is a big fan of his wing forwards working back, tackling etc etc. Add in the Kerry factor, Gavin White, first game in croke park, Jack O Connor building pressure with his comments this week.

Wildweasel74

The younger lad the better fballer but he just that, young. Kerry should look at putting kickouts his way if Tyrone push up forcing the kickout.

rrhf

Too much talk about Ruairi, only a cub. They are just giving him game time for next year or even the year after. Same with the likes of quinn. Rome wasn't built in a day but I think we have an exciting future if this year finishes this weekend.

tonto1888

Quote from: Quarterbackk on June 29, 2023, 07:11:38 PM
Darragh has it - He has the xfactor.  Ruairi on the other hand still has a lot to prove (which im in no doubt he will). This weekend will be a big test for him at his age.  Dooher is a big fan of his wing forwards working back, tackling etc etc. Add in the Kerry factor, Gavin White, first game in croke park, Jack O Connor building pressure with his comments this week.

The canavans and the Cliffords are the reason I want to get in early to see this match. Obviously there are other great players on both teams but those boys are stars; David and Darragh especially

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Kerry team named. Begley and O'Brien still held in reserve which I'm a bit surprised with.
1   Shane Ryan   
2   Graham O'Sullivan   
3   Jason Foley   
4   Tom O'Sullivan   
5   Paul Murphy   
6   Tadhg Morley   
7   Gavin White   
8   Diarmuid O'Connor   
9   Jack Barry   
10   Dara Moynihan   
11   Seán O'Shea   
12   Adrian Spillane   
13   Paudie Clifford   
14   David Clifford   
15   Paul Geaney   
16   Shane Murphy   
17   Tony Brosnan   
18   Mike Breen   
19   Brian Ó Beaglaoich   
20   Barry Dan O'Sullivan   
21   Ruairí Murphy   
22   Micheál Burns   
23   Stephen O'Brien
24   Donal O'Sullivan   
25   Dylan Casey   
26   Seán O'Brien   
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

square_ball

Quote from: sam03/05 on June 29, 2023, 06:52:21 PM
Tyrone bench looks decent to me
Cathal McShane - all star winner
Frank Burns - all star winner
Niall Devlin - u20 AI winning captain
McGleenan - U20 AI winner
Niall Sludden - All star winner / experienced player
Richard Donnelly - experienced player / lot of big game experience
Oguz - Big Athletic player / decent  season to date
O'Donnell - u20 - AI winner last year / lots of pace.
Clarke - don't know much about him but he did well v Westmeath

Prob a few others as well

I don't think people are doubting their ability as footballers but to come on and have an impact if we are losing the game or if for example Darragh Canavan god forbid gets injured in the first 10 minutes.

And not to be pedantic but Frank Burns didn't win an all star. Someone mentioned earlier he could start which in wouldn't be against at all for this game to be honest.

Aaron Boone

Seeing that Kerry team, I think a tenacious Tyrone performance will be seen as respectable.  Just being in the quarters is bonus territory and keeps up our great record at reaching this stage.

Up against the reigning Champs is such a hard ask in hurling or football. 

restorepride

Quote from: Aaron Boone on June 29, 2023, 11:07:13 PM
Seeing that Kerry team, I think a tenacious Tyrone performance will be seen as respectable.  Just being in the quarters is bonus territory and keeps up our great record at reaching this stage.

Up against the reigning Champs is such a hard ask in hurling or football.
WUM alert!

Wildweasel74

Jack Barry, Adrian Spillane and Paul Geaney, stealing a living on that Kerry team these days.

Wildweasel74

We seen alot better Kerry teams to be honest and if Clifford weren't there, Tyrone would been going into this game as favourites.

Seamus

Quote from: HokeyPokey on June 27, 2023, 03:45:30 PM

Kerry have always been heavy favourites any time they have played Tyrone and pretty much any team they play except for some of the time against the all conquering Dublin team. Tyrone and Kerry both got beaten well by Dublin in finals. The match between them was tight in 2019 and Tyrone definitely left that one behind them, though Kerry had beaten Tyrone well in the league that year.

Tyrone were underdogs in the semi and final. They were missing 5 players for the Ulster final and had to deal with difficult circumstances, to put it mildy, for the semi with several players still not right. Tyrone should have wrapped up things in normal time against Kerry and indeed in the first half of extra time, while also getting two black cards when Kerry should have also had similar. Clifford pulled up with cramp, which wasn't really fortuitous, it was most likely him not being well enough conditioned for such an intense game.

Tyrone beat Cavan (the Ulster champions), Donegal, Monaghan, Kerry and Mayo to win the All-Ireland. So three Division 1 teams and Mayo who got promoted and were in the final the previous year. Kerry beat Cork (Munster champions), Limerick, Mayo, Dublin and Galway in 2022. That's two Division 1 teams, one who got relegated and one promoted division 2 team.

Why was Tyrone's win an aligning of the stars and not Kerry's?
[/quote]

FYI David Clifford did not suffer from cramp that day. He went off injured with a dead leg as a result of a knee to the thigh by Niall Morgan. He labored badly for at least the last 10 minutes of regulation. Conditioning was not the issue as you state.
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".