Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: Degrassi Hi on June 21, 2018, 09:50:20 AM
Quote from: Dire Ear on June 21, 2018, 09:25:35 AM
RON has to play, opposite for McShane, very poor last day if you take the last minute point out of it.  Too lazy

I take it you don't attend many games... I'd say McShane is probably one of the busiest players on the pitch and in fact had the most touches of the ball V Meath & I'm sure that a Km distance covered surpasses most if not all on the team. Don't disagree that Ronan O'Neill deserves to start or come on ahead of the likes of Loughran but can't see Ruairi Sludden getting any game 'TIME'.

I wouldn't necessarily praise someone for having the most touches or covering the most kilometres in a game. It's what you do with the ball when you have it or how much influence you have when you run back in to defence etc. For all his touches McShane was wasteful at times v Meath, falling into his old habits of taking shots from unrealistic angles or trying to force ball into the full forward line when it wasn't on. The last minute equaliser probably papers over the cracks and is the reason why he will start on Saturday but he still has a lot of improving to do.

Disappointing to read Mark Bradley has had a setback in his recovery from injury, i would have hoped he'd be fit to come off the bench this weekend. I would also hope that Ruairi Sludden would get some gametime this weekend, if we keep winning we have a very hectic schedule of games coming up and the whole panel will be required so it could be a good chance to introduce him.

Dire Ear

Not going to do the requote thing,  but well said BigPack.
I was at  the Meath game Degrassi, and McShane was frustrating to watch for most of the time,  keep an eye on him some time

WT4E

Quote from: Degrassi Hi on June 21, 2018, 09:50:20 AM
RON has to play, opposite for McShane, very poor last day if you take the last minute point out of it.  Too lazy

I take it you don't attend many games... I'd say McShane is probably one of the busiest players on the pitch and in fact had the most touches of the ball V Meath & I'm sure that a Km distance covered surpasses most if not all on the team. Don't disagree that Ronan O'Neill deserves to start or come on ahead of the likes of Loughran but can't see Ruairi Sludden getting any game 'TIME'.

I see what you've done there  ;D

Dire Ear

Carlow will be no pushovers,  would be worth going just to see Poachers' actions!!  He's a cute hoor, !

outsideoftheboot

Quote from: Dire Ear on June 21, 2018, 11:29:49 AM
Carlow will be no pushovers,  would be worth going just to see Poachers' actions!!  He's a cute hoor, !

Carlow will be very tough to beat. 15 men behind the ball is tough to break down. they are an upcoming team. it will be a bad match to watch. unless tyrone get a good start and build a lead. then they can play ball out around the middle and force Carlow to come out of their defensive 15 men set up and chase the game which will free up space for tyrone.

a big start is very important for both teams here. If Carlow get an early lead of 3 or 4 points tyrone will struggle to come back and win that.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: outsideoftheboot on June 21, 2018, 11:39:16 AM

Carlow will be very tough to beat. 15 men behind the ball is tough to break down. they are an upcoming team. it will be a bad match to watch. unless tyrone get a good start and build a lead. then they can play ball out around the middle and force Carlow to come out of their defensive 15 men set up and chase the game which will free up space for tyrone.

a big start is very important for both teams here. If Carlow get an early lead of 3 or 4 points tyrone will struggle to come back and win that.

Interesting that Tyrone started very strongly against both Monaghan and Meath before fading slightly. I remember after the Galway league game where we conceded an early goal there were a few interviews from players and management stressing the need for a good start. Then in the next game v Dublin we came out and got an early goal through McShane. As you say, if we start well and build up a few points lead I think this could turn into a routine win.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: outsideoftheboot on June 21, 2018, 11:39:16 AM

The onus on Tyrone is to make Carlow play on Tyrone terms - ie Tyrone need to get ahead early and make them chase a game they are set up to do the exact opposite. If Carlow get a lead, Tyrone are in for a war of attrition, something which it won't be lost on Carlow, Tyrone struggle doing these days.

longballin

Redhand Santa

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on June 21, 2018, 09:39:04 AM

Zero chance of McShane being dropped for this game after scoring the equaliser v Meath and saving our season. I'm expecting the same team with Peter Harte coming in for McCann. Ronan O'Neill to come off the bench earlier as a reward for his contribution the last day. Have seen it reported in a few media outlets that McCarron missed the Meath game with a chest infection and is expected to return to the defence. Hoping this doesn't mean the starting 15, think Hugh Pat and McKernan earned another start.

I thought Hugh Pat did well at times in the league but struggled the last day. Was well behind his man at times. If it had been McRory we'd have heard a lot more about it on here.

Gaafan2

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 21, 2018, 12:32:06 PM
Quote from: bigpackiechestout on June 21, 2018, 09:39:04 AM

Zero chance of McShane being dropped for this game after scoring the equaliser v Meath and saving our season. I'm expecting the same team with Peter Harte coming in for McCann. Ronan O'Neill to come off the bench earlier as a reward for his contribution the last day. Have seen it reported in a few media outlets that McCarron missed the Meath game with a chest infection and is expected to return to the defence. Hoping this doesn't mean the starting 15, think Hugh Pat and McKernan earned another start.

I thought Hugh Pat did well at times in the league but struggled the last day. Was well behind his man at times. If it had been McRory we'd have heard a lot more about it on here.

For those that don't know, Hugh Pat is diabetic and took a low during the Meath game, hence the poor performance. In the television pictures you can see the doctor immediately went over to him when he was substituted.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: longballin on June 21, 2018, 12:24:58 PM
If Tyrone can't beat Carlow...

Exactly. There can be no excuses - that's not arrogance to Carlow. I do expect them to make this game pretty tight with Tyrone to pull away in the end.

Tyrone have had their scare, for a team that considers themselves on the top table - this should be a routine run of the mill 5 pt + win. Tyrone tactics unfortunately might make this one tougher than it has to be.

outsideoftheboot

Carlow gave monaghan a tight run last year. No bad team. still think tyrone will scrape through but will be no hammering match or walk in the park. I think most teams would be the same except Dublin maybe.

Dire Ear

Exactly , failure to respect Carlow will result in a burst of colour blindness!!

outsideoftheboot

Quote from: Dire Ear on June 21, 2018, 01:29:37 PM
Exactly , failure to respect Carlow will result in a burst of colour blindness!!

That's always a danger also when playing a lesser team. Would like to know more about the preseason friendly between the two now.

omagh_gael

Anyone else hear that Ruari Sludden is already a goner from the panel? Apparently spotted in a certain establishment on Greencastle cross roads.