Next Laois football manager

Started by SCFC, July 27, 2017, 08:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpeculativeEffort

Why dont we go after Dessie Farrell or someone else who is cutting their teeth in Dublin football. That is who the whole country is chasing. He would put structures in place and bring professionalism anyway.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Don Draper on July 28, 2017, 08:34:48 AM
Ah would you stop, I saw Billy Morgan a few months ago and the man looks like another clean shirt would do him.

I guess you know more than Tomas O Se so with regard to his health, energy levels and current capabilities. 
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Don Draper

Quote from: Keyser Söze on July 28, 2017, 10:28:53 AM
Ah would you stop, I saw Billy Morgan a few months ago and the man looks like another clean shirt would do him.

I guess you know more than Tomas O Se so with regard to his health, energy levels and current capabilities.
TOS put his name forward for the Cork job, not the f**king Laois one, some 200KM away. Seriously, catch yourself on a bit.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Don Draper on July 28, 2017, 10:50:06 AM

TOS put his name forward for the Cork job, not the f**king Laois one, some 200KM away. Seriously, catch yourself on a bit.

So a man that could MANAGE Cork- a job with serious pressure, expectation, scrutiny and criticism, is not capable of sitting in a car 2-3 times a week, travelling (or being driven) up a motorway for a couple of hours and acting as an advisor?
I never proposed him as Laois manager.

He may well have no interest in such a position, but TOS thinking he is fit to manage Cork and you making him out to be some sort of invalid doesn't exactly square up.
I think I'll go with TOS' judgement on this one.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Don Draper

Quote from: Keyser Söze on July 28, 2017, 11:03:35 AM
Quote from: Don Draper on July 28, 2017, 10:50:06 AM

So a man that could MANAGE Cork- a job with serious pressure, expectation, scrutiny and criticism, is not capable of sitting in a car 2-3 times a week, travelling (or being driven) up a motorway for a couple of hours and acting as an advisor?
I never proposed him as Laois manager.

He may well have no interest in such a position, but TOS thinking he is fit to manage Cork and you making him out to be some sort of invalid doesn't exactly square up.
I think I'll go with TOS' judgement on this one.
You're a crazy man, crazy. Insane. Off the reservation. Loola. Dippy. Deeply.

Andy06

Quote from: Unison on July 28, 2017, 09:37:48 AM
Quote from: portlaoisekid on July 28, 2017, 08:56:03 AM
Creeden has more to say since he lost his job than he has all year. Obviously getting his speak in early for his next gig.

He failed to mention though that Laois were probably the most unfit team in Ireland or they were tactically inept in every facet of the game.

The drinking of a few doesn't cover up for the fact that Peter and his mgt team oversaw the worst year in Laois senior football in living memory and the year was an unmitigated disaster.

The manager has to take some responsibility.

And the CB wanted to reappoint him!!

For this reason alone there should be joyous celebrations when that collective bunch of muppets stand down.

Tony

Get a Laois man in. Save money. We don't need an outside manager to come in for a couple of years and then leave. We'll likely get promoted, whoever we get. But it's not going to be a vintage year. Get the fitness levels up, get a panel of committed players, and that's it. That's all we can hope for in 2018 as it'll be a good few years before we're properly competitive again. Focus on underage now for a few years and senior will take care of itself. Some of the outside names being mentioned are absolutely ridiculous. Conway or Malachy would do well. Maybe Clancy at a push. Doesn't really matter. Just make sure we have committed players and fitness. Tactics is a bonus. Nevermind the journeymen like Banty. We do not need that again.

BallyroanAbbey

Realistically it doesn't matter who we get in they will be under pressure from the start from supporters, a few bad performances in the league or even the o'byrne cup and their head will be called for, whats a realistic target for laois next year, probably getting out of division 4, beating anyone in leinster outside of dublin, kildare and meath and beating a division 4 or lower division 3 team in the qualifiers

blueandwhite1

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on July 28, 2017, 09:38:17 AM
Why dont we go after Dessie Farrell or someone else who is cutting their teeth in Dublin football. That is who the whole country is chasing. He would put structures in place and bring professionalism anyway.

The structures in Dublin cost millions every year from club revenue and directly from Croke Park. They also have a population of 1.2 million. Nobody will be able to replicate that in Laois. We do need to take a leaf from other counties though and learn how to develop players from 16 to 23 into athletes. As well as the lack of football skills, the difference in the physical conditioning between our senior club / county footballers and other counties is staggering. The likes of Dublin, Mayo, Kildare, Kerry are starting to produce lads that are physically transformed and look more like aussie rules players by the time they are 23 or 24. That is what Creedon meant when he said there is a five year journey. Even if you have the footballers, to compete at a modern level you have to have it all -

Skill, Pace, organization, physicality, athleticism, commitment, belief.

We at the moment, have none of the above.

GAA-SMART

We wouldnt beat the top teams in Division 1 Dublin at the moment, maybe compete strongly against mid table ones, that is the reality.  Maybe it takes a Laois guy to take the team, but he has to be given the time required to do the job, we cant keep blaming guys, Cian O Neill for example is on record as saying it takes 3 years for a full plan to be integrated longer term, we need that plan and we need it now.

town1980

Malachy is from my own club but look he has not been the best manager the club has had,i said before he is manager of portlaoise that were going for ten in a row so the players he inherited were winners already,he lost it on the line along with tommy in last years final which was plain too see,Conway for me i havent seen him with a senior side yet i mean inspiring the lesser clubs,,joe has a good record clancy made progress in Ballyroan,,also john sugru is another name worth mentioning,,,i want a laois man also like tony says i hope we get one

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: town1980 on July 28, 2017, 04:15:51 PM
john sugru is another name worth mentioning,,,i want a laois man also like tony says i hope we get one

So John Sugrue is a Laois man now, is he ? ?
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Junior Ex Laoistalk

List of candidates from the Leinster Express

While Peter Creedon's departure was only confirmed this morning, thoughts have invariably turned to who will replace him at the helm of the Laois senior football team.
It is a massive task facing whoever is handed the reins in the coming weeks or months. With the support base fractured and football in general suffering from widespread apathy, perhaps a local man is best qualified to unite the county and bring some buzz and confidence back to the set up.
Below, we list off the best of the potential candidates from within the county, while also listing some possible candidates from beyond the Laois border.

1. Joe Higgins
Has been in the running in the past, and of the local candidates, has one of the strongest CVs going. Managed the Laois Ladies to an All-Ireland semi-final, as well as taking Arles-Killeen to a county final, while he also had a spell in charge of Graiguecullen. A hugely popular figure with the Laois support base.
2. Malachy McNulty
Brought Portlaoise to the Leinster club final in 2015, which they narrowly lost to Ballyboden St Enda's. Contested the Laois SFC final last year too, which they lost to Stradbally, but still highly regarded in the club. Thorough and very well prepared, he may not have had a playing career to match some other candidates on this list but he has done well in management thus far. How he fares this year with Portlaoise, who look like they will be missing a handful of regulars, will be a big test of his managerial acumen.

3. John Sugrue
He was apparently the players choice to replace Mick Lillis, the Kerry man has been based in Laois for a number of years now. Has previously worked with Kerry at U-21 and senior level, and has also coached at development squad level with Laois. Runs his own physiotherapy practice in Portlaoise, and has played for Park-Ratheniska, so would have a good knowledge of the local club scene, and of what talent is coming through.
4. Chris Conway
Still playing for Arles-Kilcruise, Conway has been doing impressive work with Knockbeg, who continue to compete in the Leinster Colleges 'A' championship. He won a Tipperary SFC title with Thomas McDonagh's, an area team eligible to pick from nine different clubs in North Tipperary, back in 2011. He has been touted in the past for the minor job, given his success at Knockbeg.
5. Padraig Clancy
Like Higgins and Conway, a hugely popular figure around the county from his time playing. He is relatively green in management circles, with two years in charge of Ballyroan Abbey under his belt. He is currently in charge of Graiguecullen, a side many are expecting big things from this year, so the coming months will tell us more about his managerial ability.
6. Derek Conroy
Another former player, he had a spell in charge of the Laois U-21s, and got some good performances out of them. He has managed at club level in Laois, so has a good handle on what talent is out there. Having done well with many of the players that need to be introduced to the senior panel, if he's not the manager, having him involved in some form could be very beneficial.

OUTSIDE CANDIDATES

Martin Murphy (Offaly)
Has lead Stradbally to two SFC titles, in separate decades, and has shown himself astute in preparing teams. It would be a significant jump for the Gracefield club man to make, but he has a good record in the county.
Colin Kelly (Louth)
Lead the Wee County to back-to-back league promotions in 2016 and 2017, although they didn't particularly impress in the championship. Improved Louth all the same, and is on the market now after stepping down after this year's championship defeat.
Pete McGrath (Down)
Was in charge of the Fermanagh team which impressively accounted for Laois in the NFL last year, he also brought them to an All-Ireland quarter-final and Division 2 of the NFL. Universally respected, and having twice managed the Down minor team, he has a good record in working and improving young players, which any prospective manager must have. Down is long way north for the commute, but the motorway makes things easier.
Fergal O'Donnell (Roscommon)
An impressive track record with his native county, he won an All-Ireland minor title back in 2006, their first in 55 years, and won Connacht titles with Roscommon as a player and manager (in 2010). Took a second stint in charge of the Roscommon minors, getting them to an All-Ireland semi-final, before going back in charge of the senior team, in a joint arrangement with Kevin McStay. Stepped down from that role late last year.
Anthony Cunningham (Galway)
Worked with the panel in 2016 during Mick Lillis' tenure, he was well received by the players, who had hoped he might have stayed on. Obviously known for his exploits with the Galway hurlers, he has a strong football record also, and would at least have some background in working within Laois.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Giovanni

If we want to get the best manager possible, Pete McGrath is head and shoulders above all the others being mentioned.

If we want to try to nurture some homegrown managerial talent, then my vote would go to Chris Conway.

I'm not sure which strategy is the best one.

Butch Cassidy

A combined team of Pete and Conway would be good Giovanni.

The next appointment is crucial and hope getting relegated doesn't restrict the financial side of getting in a good management team.

It's a tough job though but you see teams getting momentum  and going from division 4 to division 2 but you need everyone putting their shoulder to the wheel.