U14 Féile

Started by No wides, June 16, 2016, 09:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: heffo on June 16, 2016, 10:58:54 AM
Quote from: Canalman on June 16, 2016, 10:52:59 AM
Nice to see Naas in division 1.

That Naas team were very strong in Dublin competitions and won U12 Group 1 Camaint in Dublin two years ago

They played Kilruane McDonaghs from Tipp in a challenge on Saturday and murdered them. I only know this because one of the Kilruane lads training with me was in shock.

theskull1

Shame Naas (and I'm sure a few more) couldn't keep them hurling beyond minor.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 16, 2016, 11:00:30 AM
Quote from: heffo on June 16, 2016, 10:58:54 AM
Quote from: Canalman on June 16, 2016, 10:52:59 AM
Nice to see Naas in division 1.

That Naas team were very strong in Dublin competitions and won U12 Group 1 Camaint in Dublin two years ago

They played Kilruane McDonaghs from Tipp in a challenge on Saturday and murdered them. I only know this because one of the Kilruane lads training with me was in shock.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/naas-nurturing-a-generation-of-hurling-trailblazers-34138486.html

Great work going on at underage in Naas at present after years of underachievement at senior level in both codes.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

theskull1

They stayed with us last year and got beat in the Div1 (minus the strong county winners) final. Had a better squad the year before who cantered Div2.

Lots of lamenting during the pinting about the fall off come senior. Pints were nice though (and cheap)  :)

SkillfulBill

2 years ago Naas won a division 2 hurling feile and a division 1 football feile with the same group of lads. Phenomenal achievement.

theskull1

Quote from: SkillfulBill on June 16, 2016, 11:20:00 AM
2 years ago Naas won a division 2 hurling feile and a division 1 football feile with the same group of lads. Phenomenal achievement.

Not sure about the word phenomenal, when you consider the catchment area? Certainly shows the adult coaching interest is there, but I'm sure many fall by the way side from U6-U14 due to the large population funnelling into one club. No?

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 16, 2016, 10:08:59 AM
Jaysus Johnney are you coming down? I always thought you were Antrim for some reason.  We're hosting Ballygalget in camogie, and a team from Carlow, Burren Rangers, for the hurling. We've been killing cattle for weeks for the barbeque!

Feile is a great weekend, but I do agree there is an awful lot of emphasis being put on for what should essentially be a friendly competition displaying the love of hurling (and football in the Feile Peil) across all the counties and getting the kids to mix. As always, it's the kids who show us what it's all about, while the adults get too wrapped up in sponsorship, gear, travel, diet and winning matches. The kids just play together and normally get on like a house on fire.

Afraid not AZ, I'm in the minority it seems, someone has to keep the home fires burning.

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on June 16, 2016, 11:18:34 AM
They stayed with us last year and got beat in the Div1 (minus the strong county winners) final. Had a better squad the year before who cantered Div2.

Lots of lamenting during the pinting about the fall off come senior. Pints were nice though (and cheap)  :)

Not wanting to go off topic, but this up until recently was never an issue for us and it was discussed at length and the general belief was that there was a disconnect between juvenile hurling and the adults.

Back in the day once you were out of U14 you trained with the seniors and that was that, no one thought any different. You still played U16 and minor games, but you also got a game with the thirds or reserves on the Sunday if you were up for it. The reserves played before the senior game and you stayed and watched the game and even at that we'd maybe take an U14 team up the country and they'd get a game with the days opponents U14's as well, so they'd have witnessed the senior game between packets of crisps and playing hide and seek and so forth, but there was a natural progression all the way up for them to see.

With the advent of rules prohibiting U16's, now U17's playing adult hurling and our training now staggered slightly. The U17's and minors still train with the seniors though there seems to be 'inputs' from parents not wanting their youngsters playing with the adults even though some are bigger than a lot of our senior hurlers and we're finding the kids are dropping off a lot more and we'd be struggling for numbers for a reserve team.
The new rules were introduced for a good reason and that's fine, but we're going to have to come up with a way of fixing that disconnect for both parents and the children to see what its all about.

I've heard the term that for a lot of families its just another sport to dip in and out of and there's a certain level of truth in that as well.

Helix

Quote from: theskull1 on June 16, 2016, 11:24:15 AM
Quote from: SkillfulBill on June 16, 2016, 11:20:00 AM

Didn't St Brigids of Dublin win Division 1 both football and hurling in the same year with same bunch. Now that's some achievement
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

AZOffaly

That was a massive achievement, but I believe they were two completely separate squads.

manfromdelmonte

Heading down myself.
Our lads will be completely out if their depth, but sure the hurling is only one part if it

AZOffaly

Where are you heading to? Tipp or Waterford?

No wides

Our lads are having a reception with the Mayor tonight before the off, all very exciting.

ashman

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 16, 2016, 01:30:16 PM
That was a massive achievement, but I believe they were two completely separate squads.

Not so there was a considerable overlap .  Amazing achievement as brigids had gone back at underage due to numbers.  They have been surrounded by newer clubs with younger "quarries " .

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 16, 2016, 02:52:00 PM
Where are you heading to? Tipp or Waterford?
Waterford.