Tom Humphries

Started by bottlethrower7, January 29, 2007, 09:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inthrough

Quote from: screenexile on October 25, 2017, 11:08:11 AM
Quote from: Declan on October 25, 2017, 09:24:34 AM
QuoteAs a matter if interest what would peoples opinions be on Cusack training a juvenile team in a club following this? Would you be happy for your child to be part of a team managed by him?

I wouldn't have a problem

He made an error of judgment in writing a letter to support his friend. It was a mistake but I don't think he needs to be excommunicated for it!

This is beginning to get ridiculous now. Donal Óg has made a judgement call in support of a friend. Are we now saying that our moral outrage extends to anyone who doesn't abandon a friend when that friend is in the wrong? Not much of a friend if so.

Lar Naparka

QuoteAs a matter if interest what would peoples opinions be on Cusack training a juvenile team in a club following this? Would you be happy for your child to be part of a team managed by him?

And neither would I. I'd base my opinion of Cusack on what I would have seen and known of both his character and coaching ability and not on what he said about Humphries.  I don't think anything he said could be lead anyone to the conclusion that he condoned what had been done to that child nor would what he said would have affected the judge's ultimate decision. It was up to her to decide what was admissible or not.
For what it's worth, I think Humphries got away lightly but that can't be put down to Donal Óg's submission.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

AZOffaly

Quote from: Itchy on October 25, 2017, 11:51:01 AM
Quote from: mup on October 25, 2017, 09:09:48 AM
As a matter if interest what would peoples opinions be on Cusack training a juvenile team in a club following this? Would you be happy for your child to be part of a team managed by him?

I wouldn't be happy but I would stop short of running him out of a club, at best has shown a poor level of judgement and worst he is being loyal to a child abuser because he helped him out previously in a business arrangement. That being said I don't trust anyone with my kids in that I will not allow a situation to develop where my child is on their own with an adult at any time. I would advise all parents to do the same and all clubs to ensure such a thing never happens. Thats a far more preventative measure than Vetting ever will be.

That's not just you, that's the rule and part of the Child Welfare policy. An Adult can never be alone with a juvenile, so things like lifts to games etc have to be carefully managed so that at least there is one other adult or one other child in the car for e.g.

T Fearon

Judas betrayed Jesus for money.While this was necessary there was an undoubted and intended subtext of the wretchedness and perversion of placing the material ahead of the spiritual.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on October 25, 2017, 01:33:59 PM
Judas betrayed Jesus for money.While this was necessary there was an undoubted and intended subtext of the wretchedness and perversion of placing the material ahead of the spiritual.
It was to fulfil Scripture so it was not Judas fault
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: seafoid on October 25, 2017, 03:10:03 PM

Judas'

seafoid

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on October 25, 2017, 03:29:52 PM
Quote from: seafoid on October 25, 2017, 03:10:03 PM

Judas'
Jaysus!

mup

Quote from: inthrough on October 25, 2017, 01:00:03 PM
Quote from: screenexile on October 25, 2017, 11:08:11 AM

He made an error of judgment in writing a letter to support his friend. It was a mistake but I don't think he needs to be excommunicated for it!

This is beginning to get ridiculous now. Donal Óg has made a judgement call in support of a friend. Are we now saying that our moral outrage extends to anyone who doesn't abandon a friend when that friend is in the wrong? Not much of a friend if so.

I'm asking a question. I'm not suggesting anything at all.

mup

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 25, 2017, 01:21:02 PM
As a matter if interest what would peoples opinions be on Cusack training a juvenile team in a club following this? Would you be happy for your child to be part of a team managed by him?

I wouldn't be happy but I would stop short of running him out of a club, at best has shown a poor level of judgement and worst he is being loyal to a child abuser because he helped him out previously in a business arrangement. That being said I don't trust anyone with my kids in that I will not allow a situation to develop where my child is on their own with an adult at any time. I would advise all parents to do the same and all clubs to ensure such a thing never happens. Thats a far more preventative measure than Vetting ever will be.

That's not just you, that's the rule and part of the Child Welfare policy. An Adult can never be alone with a juvenile, so things like lifts to games etc have to be carefully managed so that at least there is one other adult or one other child in the car for e.g.

I'm often been in that predicament where kids would be looking for a lift. I'd have to think about the dropping off after and if I think I'd be on my own with one of them I'd bring one of my own kids. Otherwise I'd have to refuse lifts.

screenexile

Quote from: mup on October 25, 2017, 03:45:42 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 25, 2017, 01:21:02 PM

I'm often been in that predicament where kids would be looking for a lift. I'd have to think about the dropping off after and if I think I'd be on my own with one of them I'd bring one of my own kids. Otherwise I'd have to refuse lifts.

It's crazy!! When I was playing underage this was never an issue for me or my parents to take a lift with one of the managers or someone else's parent. . . I would venture that the risk of being preyed upon was worse then than it is now.

Is it the fact that the world is getting smaller and we're more aware of these incidents happening now than we were in the past or are we just super cautious in not taking a chance.

By the way I wouldn't let my daughters get in the car alone with a manager or adult unless it was family that I trusted but then who can you trust when it comes to this?!

sambostar

Can someone clarify did Walsh or Cusack not have the option to retract or disallow their statements to be used once Humphries pleaded guilty or when they heard all the evidence?

seafoid

Kimmage's conclusion is very good

"Tom Humphries was one of the all-time great sportswriters but he'll never write about sport again.

He won't be remembered for his talent. He will be remembered for sending images of his penis to a 14-year-old school girl.

He will be remembered for bombarding her with 16,000 sexually explicit text messages.  "

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: sambostar on October 30, 2017, 06:39:03 PM
Can someone clarify did Walsh or Cusack not have the option to retract or disallow their statements to be used once Humphries pleaded guilty or when they heard all the evidence?

Ex High Court judge said on TV3 Tonight Show that there was no reason they couldn't have withdrawn their character references between the hearing and the delivery of the sentencing if they wanted.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Maiden1

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 31, 2017, 10:01:35 AM

Ex High Court judge said on TV3 Tonight Show that there was no reason they couldn't have withdrawn their character references between the hearing and the delivery of the sentencing if they wanted.
Isn't that the whole point of a character reference I.e. it is only used after the person is found guilty. There would be no need for a character reference if they are found innocent.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

sambostar

Quote from: Maiden1 on October 31, 2017, 10:42:49 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 31, 2017, 10:01:35 AM

Isn't that the whole point of a character reference I.e. it is only used after the person is found guilty. There would be no need for a character reference if they are found innocent.
Yes, agreed. But I thought either or both had used the argument that they were misled or didn't know the full story when giving the original references. If there was an opportunity for them to be withdrawn pre-sentencing then this argument is irrelevant. It casts both in a very poor light.