Tom Humphries

Started by bottlethrower7, January 29, 2007, 09:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inthrough

I have no time for what Tom Humphries did, he misused the power he had over a vulnerable youg girl in a truly terrible way but I have to say that I find the sanctimony on display here hard to stomach.

I seem to remember some beardy fella saying something along the lines of "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"

Tom Humphries life is over, he is going to prison, he is estranged from his family & will never work again. Maybe we should look at this sad episode & wonder at all the other episodes of power being wielded over defenceless people in the world today & maybe even have a wee look at our own attitudes & actions before we stomp all over Tom Humphries.

Syferus

The sentence is disgusting given what he did, nevermind his seeming willingness to hide behind illness and drag the ordeal out for as long as possible when it did come to light.

The post above mine appears to be from a WUM account.

T Fearon

Not in any way defending this sc**bag.Even through his journalistic career he was a shit stirrer,who sparked off the whole Roy Keane/ Saipan saga for example.

But surely his defence team would try every trick in the book including character references from work colleagues.These references could only be restricted to their knowledge of him professionally,which presumably was positive.The real question is why such references should have any weight at all in court.Like I'm sure Fred West was a top class bricklayer and Peter Sutcliffe a great delivery driver,but this has no impact on their other lives as serial killers.

easytiger95

Quote from: inthrough on October 24, 2017, 06:17:52 PM
I have no time for what Tom Humphries did, he misused the power he had over a vulnerable youg girl in a truly terrible way but I have to say that I find the sanctimony on display here hard to stomach.

I seem to remember some beardy fella saying something along the lines of "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"

Tom Humphries life is over, he is going to prison, he is estranged from his family & will never work again. Maybe we should look at this sad episode & wonder at all the other episodes of power being wielded over defenceless people in the world today & maybe even have a wee look at our own attitudes & actions before we stomp all over Tom Humphries.
Tom Humphries victim has had, and faces, far more than two and a half years of horror. Forgiveness for him can only come from her. And since it would be presumptuous of us to even talk about that, all we can do is analyse the sentence he has been given, as members of the society whose laws he has transgressed.

I think that it is too lenient, for the length of it, and the for the fact that the judge openly said she was taking into account his social position before his offence was uncovered, and the references he had received.

I think that this case will spur debate with regard to sentencing guidelines and their application, as well as the use of references. The Irish Times has a good article on that aspect of it today.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/with-someone-who-has-pleaded-guilty-to-abuse-you-can-t-stand-with-them-anymore-in-court-1.3267107

If deciding that the sentence doesn't fit the crime in this case, makes me sanctimonious and apparently puts me the wrong side of Jesus, then I would say "render unto Caesar the things that are Caesars" - we live in a world of laws, made by men, and their fair application is more than worthy of comment. I'll leave forgiveness to the person who can grant that. And I speak as someone who once worked with Humphries and liked him as the man he presented to the world.

armaghniac

What is the benefit of a longer sentence?
deterrence - hardly since no person in his situation would find it wise to do as he did. Deterrence of others?
rehabilitation - given then time elapsed this doesn't seem likely to have much influence
preventing re-occurance - perhaps,  but giving the phone away without deleting it etc suggest almost a wish to get caught
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

inthrough

Quote from: Syferus on October 24, 2017, 06:28:00 PM
The sentence is disgusting given what he did, nevermind his seeming willingness to hide behind illness and drag the ordeal out for as long as possible when it did come to light.

The post above mine appears to be from a WUM account.

Dangerous business voicing an opinion that differs from the mob nowadays.

Apart from the WUM comment, what was it exactly that I said that you disagree with or are you annoyed that not everyone is piling in to feed on the carcase.

inthrough

Quote from: easytiger95 on October 24, 2017, 07:00:52 PM
Quote from: inthrough on October 24, 2017, 06:17:52 PM

Tom Humphries victim has had, and faces, far more than two and a half years of horror. Forgiveness for him can only come from her. And since it would be presumptuous of us to even talk about that, all we can do is analyse the sentence he has been given, as members of the society whose laws he has transgressed.

I think that it is too lenient, for the length of it, and the for the fact that the judge openly said she was taking into account his social position before his offence was uncovered, and the references he had received.

I think that this case will spur debate with regard to sentencing guidelines and their application, as well as the use of references. The Irish Times has a good article on that aspect of it today.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/with-someone-who-has-pleaded-guilty-to-abuse-you-can-t-stand-with-them-anymore-in-court-1.3267107

If deciding that the sentence doesn't fit the crime in this case, makes me sanctimonious and apparently puts me the wrong side of Jesus, then I would say "render unto Caesar the things that are Caesars" - we live in a world of laws, made by men, and their fair application is more than worthy of comment. I'll leave forgiveness to the person who can grant that. And I speak as someone who once worked with Humphries and liked him as the man he presented to the world.

Fair points, well made. I don't say that everyone who think that the sentence is too short is sanctimonious, everyone is entitled to their opinion. It's the tone of some of the posts that leaves a bad taste.

seafoid

He pleaded guilty unlike for example Graham Dwyer. He didn't force the victim to testify. He didn't threaten her family. He didn't behave like other people did in court. All of this was taken into account.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Owen Brannigan

Do the RoI courts have the same facility as those in NI to allow the PPS to appeal the sentence from the judge?

Stall the Bailer

Quote from: seafoid on October 24, 2017, 07:35:03 PM
He pleaded guilty unlike for example Graham Dwyer. He didn't force the victim to testify. He didn't threaten her family. He didn't behave like other people did in court. All of this was taken into account.
He didn't admit his guilt to very late on when the evidence was overwhelming and only one outcome looking likely. He has also refused rehabilitation supposedly. Doesn't sound like a contrite man. Just an evil individual.

bennydorano

Anything I've read would seem to imply that he is very remorseful, feels that deserves all he gets and has been on suicide watch? 

Rehabilitation?? How do you rehabilitate a Paedophile? Unless you do something physical (chemical castration) , I'd say the counselling etc.. would be utter nonsense, especially to an educated man who knew exactly what he was at.

Stall the Bailer

Quote from: bennydorano on October 24, 2017, 08:09:24 PM
Anything I've read would seem to imply that he is very remorseful, feels that deserves all he gets and has been on suicide watch? 

Rehabilitation?? How do you rehabilitate a Paedophile? Unless you do something physical (chemical castration) , I'd say the counselling etc.. would be utter nonsense, especially to an educated man who knew exactly what he was at.
If he truly is remorseful he would be doing everything to show/prove it. By not undertaken any rehabilitation supposedly and late guilt pleas etc would suggest otherwise. Being educated has nothing to do with it.

bennydorano

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on October 24, 2017, 08:48:06 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on October 24, 2017, 08:09:24 PM

If he truly is remorseful he would be doing everything to show/prove it. By not undertaken any rehabilitation supposedly and late guilt pleas etc would suggest otherwise. Being educated has nothing to do with it.

For show like?

What is the rehabilitation process for a Paedophile that he has turned down?

Stall the Bailer

Show as in showing by his actions.

She also said she considered letters from two "close friends", as well as the fact Humphries had mental health issues and that one doctor had recommended he get psychiatric treatment.
She noted he had refused such treatment.
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/former-journalist-tom-humphries-jailed-for-twoandahalf-years-for-the-defilement-of-a-child-36257041.html